Opinions on PTO chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Mtn High

Reaction score
Hello! I live in the Colorado Rocky Mtns on 23+ acres of heavily wooded lodge pole pine, ponderosa, etc. We are currently experiencing a significant infestation of the Mountain Pine and Ips Beetle which is killing off the majority of our lodge pole pine trees. As a result we have an enormous amount of slash/wood that needs to be removed to minimize fire danger. We use what we can for firewood, but have a ton of stuff that we need to chip. We are looking to purchase a PTO wood chipper for our John Deere tractor. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with such a beast and if so what brand you've used and/or would recommend. We need something with at least a 6 1/4" capacity and really want a hydrolic feed. We've tentatively narrowed our search to a Farmi or a Wallenstein, but have not seen either locally as there are no dealers in the area. Suggestions??

Thanks for your help!

Have not seen the Farmi or Wallenstein chippers but the Farmi winches are the benchmark for pto winches around here , top quality .
The video's I have seen of the Farmi's make them look to be a capable machine but I think tractor hp has a lot to do with how well they work .

:cheers:

I have a small Wallenstein chipper (BXM32), and after a few months I've been really happy with it. Mine does not have a hydraulic feed, and is only good for 3 inches or so, but the machine itself is well built and works well. Hope that helps some.

I really like my Valby. Horizontal power feed (no high lifting) and a nice slight offset angle with fold away input hopper so you can maneuver in tight places. Bought mine from three rivers forestry equip. Looking at winches next...

Latest posts

Back