opti-2 to run or not to run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robby26wi

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought 4 bags of the stuff at my local dolmar dealer and they love the stuff...anyone else running it? dont think i would run it at 100:1 but maybe like 70 or so...

I've got five gallons of the stuff. I'm going to start using it in my backpack blowers and string trimmers this spring. Hopefully they will survive it. I'm going to run it 50-1.
John....

Bought 4 bags of the stuff at my local dolmar dealer and they love the stuff...anyone else running it? dont think i would run it at 100:1 but maybe like 70 or so...

FWIW I purchased 2 bottles. I was not impressed by lack of smoke or any other easily observable occurence. that being said, I bought Mobil 2T and never looked back. Less smoke and seems to run cleaner. I AM NOT A PROFFESSIONAL, please don't flame me too much.
Greg Harrison

Opti-2

I use it at work with our blowers and weedeaters and I like it. I just started using it in my saw and haven't noticed any difference compared to stihl or echo oil. It mets all of the standards so I wouldn't worry about it.

I am not a fan of it...And the one time I did run it,it seemed to make my saws run a little leaner..I couldn't adjust the carb because the limiter was all the way out and I didn't have my tool to remove it and adjust the carb.

Opti-oil

Run it in everything. EVERYTHING.

That being said, I ran it in a ton of equipment in all sorts of conditions before we decided to handle it for sale and have never looked back.

Have seen ZERO failures in 50,000 plus mixed gallons sold so far. Not only no failures but no complaints either. FWIW OPTI will cover your original manufacturer's warranty if the manufacturer will not honor it because you used OPTI oil.

I'd highly recomend using whatever the manufacturer recomends if you are unsure of what you want in an engine oil.

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend any of the oils we handle for use in equipment. Then again, we only handle OPTI and DOLMAR oils.

I might use the stuff to keep the dust down ona gravel driveway and thats about it...

See that's the best thing about our country. Everyone can run whatever bar-oil and 2-cycle oil that they want. It's a great country! It's just as hard to find 2 people or a group of people who like the same pizza toppings.

Then again, it is NOT cool to dump on anyone because of what they like on their pizza or what oils they use, etc. That's called being a D!(K. lol

How about NO MORE OIL POSTS. They are a waste of time because EVERYONE knows that what they use is the best and everything else is bad. Useless waste of time and words.

DOLMARatOs

I think Ben may have just been (attacking) giving his gentle opinion on the product, and not the person using it.

Your post is a strong endorsement of the product. The fact you have a choice of oils and your use in your business does carry weight.

:cheers:

Last edited:
For a good laugh go to Opti's website and read the utter tripe they have posted...I wouldnt use a product from any company that is marketed using psuedo science and BS.
But you guys can do what you like.:laugh:
FWIW when I say I dont like a certain product, that doesnt constitute a personal attack just because someone else happens to sell the stuff. I really do not like the crap and have held this opinion for several years.

Last edited:
Ben, They sure do put their money where their mouth is though. They $tand behind their claims. And I have never seen a lube related failure from Opti-2. You have blown up a snowmobile engine with Mobil-1 if memory serves.

en, They sure do put their money where their mouth is though. They $tand behind their claims. And I have never seen a lube related failure from Opti-2.
How many people have collected? Does any major oil company offer a warranty? If not, why? Could it be that good, non snake oil type products do not need a warranty?
And as I said before the so called technical info on their website is a bunch of horse **** and I will not give a company my money that prints such garbage.

That sled blow up had nothing at all to do with oil. Of course you know that.
Go choke on a donut....:biggrinbounce2:

BTW my favorite product that Opti sells is the chemical rebuild...Didnt PT Barnum say "a sucker was born every mintue"?

Last edited:
Go choke on a donut....:biggrinbounce2:

BTW my favorite product that Opti sells is the chemical rebuild...Didnt PT Barnum say "a sucker was born every mintue"?

Ben, I may not like you but I have never wished you harm, tounge in cheek or not. Bad form.

Do you have an old worn out 4 cycle mower? I will send you a free chemical re-build for you to try. You might be surprised at the outcome. There is no replacement for a properly bored and honed cylider with fresh rings but to breathe life into an old engine chemical rebuild does work.

Run it in everything. EVERYTHING.

That being said, I ran it in a ton of equipment in all sorts of conditions before we decided to handle it for sale and have never looked back.

Have seen ZERO failures in 50,000 plus mixed gallons sold so far. Not only no failures but no complaints either. FWIW OPTI will cover your original manufacturer's warranty if the manufacturer will not honor it because you used OPTI oil.

I'd highly recomend using whatever the manufacturer recomends if you are unsure of what you want in an engine oil.

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend any of the oils we handle for use in equipment. Then again, we only handle OPTI and DOLMAR oils.

Do you use it at the 100:1 mix ratio?

Chemical rebuild

I agree. My primary use for chemical rebuild is Kohler Comand series engines with hydraulic lifters. Running the chem. rebuild and Opti-4 will remove the lifter clatter common on Command series engines and make these engines start and run a lot easier and cooler.

As a side note. I was having a conversation with a cutomer who is a metaleurgist (sp) and he worked on a project for the US Military involving surface preparation and eutectic oil technology in helicopter transmissions. They found that chemical surface improvement technologies were more than tripling the lifespan of the gears in these transmissions. This conversation started after he saw the chemical rebuild display in my front room and started reading the brochure and box.

Do you use it at the 100:1 mix ratio?

Yes I do. I use 100:1 Opti in all 2-cycle equipment including pre-mix boats, my old AJS Stormer 250 dirt-bike (Over 50 gallons of mixed fuel and still rides like a champion), chain saws old and new, everything.

Again. I think there are a lot of excellent oils out there and I'm not saying that anyone else's oil is better or worse. This is what I use, I also eat mustard on my french fries and ketchup on everything but boobs.

Maybe others have had different experiences but one thing is true in my shop for the last 14 years. We've never had a 2-cycle failure due to "bad oil" when the proper mix and type of oils were used. Even the cheapo oils have never caused a failure in the thousands of 2-cycles we've seen. Always seems to be adjusted improperly, air-leak, old fuel detonation or just plain worn out.

I agree. My primary use for chemical rebuild is Kohler Comand series engines with hydraulic lifters. Running the chem. rebuild and Opti-4 will remove the lifter clatter common on Command series engines and make these engines start and run a lot easier and cooler.

Maybe you should tell Kohler to use chem rebuild on their new commands talk about noisy lifters. :lifter:

I sell opti but not alot, Was talked into it by 2 of my distributors... For saws I recommend the Dolmar mix And I have never had a failure on 50-1 due to oil.

The best synthetic oil I have used is Royal Purple its all i run in my 01' 8.1 liter chev. as well as my buddies 2 358 DIRT modifieds

Scott

Back