Optimal cutting experience - a few fundamentals controls everything.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriklane

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's really pretty simple, but, there are a number of ways to trip yourself up, and paying attention to all the details is key. I've made a list of what I think are the top ways to optimize your cutting experience, most important to least important.
1) Sharp chains-goes without saying but if you aren't getting a sharp/smooth edge on all sides of your cutters, you aren't going to cut fast. Anytime a saw isn't pulling out chunks with high speed, you may as well stop and analyze what's wrong. Full chisel chain top corners should grab your skin when you run your finger into it. Get a magnifying glass and make sure the entire tooth is smooth and clear without damage, nicks, etc. Improper angles on the tooth also is a killer. Full chisel chains can require a 10 degree tilt when sharpening, semi chisels usually are filed without that tilt. Using full chisel chains in dirty or extremely hard wood can slow you down quickly. Soft wood can clog up chains, opt for a skip tooth.
2) Rakers too high. No matter if everything else is right, high cutters will not allow good cutting.
3) Not enough oil causing overheated bar and chain, causing chain sag. Every once in a while, run your saw and make sure it's pumping oil. Or point the end at something and rev it to make sure you're slinging a little oil. Just had an experience where one saw wasn't oiling and another that was oiling, just not enough.
4) Improper bar maintenance. I always run a wire through the bar channel to clean out gunk and make sure my oil hole is clear. Sprocket tips need regular grease as well as roller bearings. Filing a bar flat is key.

These key elements all work together. Get any of them wrong, and things start going downhill. Dull chains mean we push, that brings in friction and heat, and it all goes bad from there. When you finish cutting, the bar should be warm, but not hot to touch. My recent experience with oiling really taught me a lesson. And I'd not gotten my rakers down enough despite my .025 gauge showing it was ok. I just took a little more off and it was fine.

Stihl bar tips don't require grease and to be honest I haven't greased my bars that do (didn't grease from the start).

Once you add grease, you need to continually grease them to push out the dirty grease otherwise you will have issues.

Back