Ordered 50 custom T-shirts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeGuyHR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and ordered 50 T-shirts. Orange Carharts in M or L tall, $12 - $13 each. However, the local person I hired is charging me another $17 per shirt to design my custom logo and print both the front and back. They are going to look great, but I did not plan on $30 per shirt :msp_confused:!

I will supply my three guys with two shirts, and after that charge them $20 for replacements.

What did other guys pay here for company shirts?

hahahahaha charge your guys $20 for replacements. That's large of you, lmao.

OK, what should I charge? I have to charge something, or they will burn through them rather quickly. Don't know what they are paying in NY, but my groundies get $15 and my climber $30 door to door; seems like they could cut me some slack.

OK, what should I charge? I have to charge something, or they will burn through them rather quickly. Don't know what they are paying in NY, but my groundies get $15 and my climber $30 door to door; seems like they could cut me some slack.

It doesn't matter what they pay in NY or anywhere else. They are just Carhartt T-shirts, and you want your help to pay you $20 for one because it's got your advertising on it? That's the skin-flintiest bah-humbug scroogey cheapskate thing I ever heard of......and your going to pull this on guys that work for you? And you don't see the issue?

You need some help if you can't understand what's wrong with what you presented. If I worked for you, I 'd tell you in spades, very quickly, just where you could stick your shirts.

Really if you want your guys to wear your new company shirts you dont charge them for the company shirts! Why not also put on there my boss is cheap?:laugh:

Ever destroy a new shirt the first day you wore it? Happens pretty often in tree work. I would give them three to start with, and one a month after that. The return to your company from them looking sharp instead of grungy will easily offset the cost of the shirts. I am still using shirts from a box of 100 I bought a couple of years ago for $3 per shirt. Gildan, made in haiti, 50/50 poly/cotton.

OK, I sure got both ears full now.

I think I'll charge them $10 -- call me cheap, but they have to buy clothes. First two free, like I said

Cheap I am not: paid safety meetings 2 or 3 times a month,

Paid by the hr door to door (I can remember years ago just being paid from the shop to the end of the day -- at the job site)

All the bottled Power-Aide they can drink when it is hot

Donuts and coffee for long tough days, like crane take-downs, or nasty weather

Bought my climber some equipment for his sole use because he was under-equipped (I have him part time, and he uses it on his own jobs as well). Free food when he stays over for jobs, to save a two hr RT commute. I have also bought a bunch of equipment at his suggestion to optimize operations (will be taking a hit in my profit margin for months).

Cheap?!

Maybe I should buy a rack of boot driers and dry and oil there boots each day, and set them out with a couple pairs of new gloves and a steaming cup of coffee each morning!!??

Actually, I do share a pot most mornings. Fresh ground decent beans (no big red can).

I actually offered to pay for an hr long therapeutic massage after my climber put in 8 1/2 hrs on rope for a crane take-down, but he turned it down. He did let me buy him a six pack.

I don't want a pissing match. Maybe you guys can give examples of a boss that was actually a complete tight wad?

I have been plowing nearly all the gross proceeds into my business (just hit the 5 year mark yesterday :blob2:). My money guy (one of two other part time staff I have) said that my costs for labor and subs was too high a proportion of gross; my answer? Bust my butt and get more bids at higher prices, and probably give my main groundie a raise (still has his head part way up his ass at times -- needs more training).

Finally, until I injured my shoulder and thumb recently, I was right in there working as hard or harder as anyone else. I can climb about 4 hrs now before I have to bag it. Last night i couldn't sleep until I rummaged around and found a pain pill left ove from my thumb dislocation.

Thoughts and rants?

I think I'll charge them $10 -- call me cheap, but they have to buy clothes. First two free, like I said

Paid by the hr door to door (I can remember years ago just being paid from the shop to the end of the day -- at the job site)

Bought my climber some equipment for his sole use because he was under-equipped (I have him part time, and he uses it on his own jobs as well). Free food when he stays over for jobs, to save a two hr RT commute. I have also bought a bunch of equipment at his suggestion to optimize operations (will be taking a hit in my profit margin for months).

Cheap?!

Maybe I should buy a rack of boot driers and dry and oil there boots each day, and set them out with a couple pairs of new gloves and a steaming cup of coffee each morning!!??

Actually, I do share a pot most mornings. Fresh ground decent beans (no big red can).

I actually offered to pay for an hr long therapeutic massage after my climber put in 8 1/2 hrs on rope for a crane take-down, but he turned it down. He did let me buy him a six pack.

I don't want a pissing match. Maybe you guys can give examples of a boss that was actually a complete tight wad?

I have been plowing nearly all the gross proceeds into my business (just hit the 5 year mark yesterday :blob2:). My money guy (one of two other part time staff I have) said that my costs for labor and subs was too high a proportion of gross; my answer? Bust my butt and get more bids at higher prices, and probably give my main groundie a raise (still has his head part way up his ass at times -- needs more training).

Finally, until I injured my shoulder and thumb recently, I was right in there working as hard or harder as anyone else. I can climb about 4 hrs now before I have to bag it. Last night i couldn't sleep until I rummaged around and found a pain pill left ove from my thumb dislocation.

Thoughts and rants?

you have got to be out of your mind to ask your guys to pay for shirts with your advertising on them--period.

PAY FOR SHIRTS! LMAO.

seriously, you bring your employees coffee sometimes. HOW NICE of you! And you pay them to be at work and listen to safety protocol. thats amazing!

I bet that you even pay them for their labor too!

I'm amazed at your benefits package.

seriously, I get that you dropped a few hundred bucks on shirts, but its kind of your fault for getting bent over for the price of screen printing. the fact that you make your climbers buy all their own equipment, and complain when one of them makes a suggestion to improve your company is pathetic. maybe they should pay the lease on your chipper out of their paycheck too!

ive worked at 3 companies, the first outfitted every guy 5 pairs of arborwear pants, 5 hi-vis shirts, an arborwear vest, and all climbing gear. the second supplied all gear (within reason) and gave out shirts/outerwear as needed (and this was an owner operator who i would consider cheap) and the current company goes through a uniform company and has all our stuff washed once a week. they also supply all the best climbing gear.

Get with it. if you want your company to survive, keep employees, and project an image of professionalism/taste, you are going to have to outfit your guys with shirts. if a potential employer said to me that i had to buy all my own uniforms, it would be an instant red flag that he's likely a cheap, curmudgeonly awful person to work for.

The $17 / shirt just for your company logo seems pretty expensive unless they are embroidered (several different colours of thread) instead of just silk screened.
I really need to finally pull the pin on also getting some custom shirts ordered. Long overdue.
The guys that say you need to provide the shirts free of charge to your employees periodically are correct, imo. How your employees present themselves to your clients is a direct reflection on you, and the more professional they look, the better you and your company looks.

I won't say you're cheap, you're a @#$@$$ , J/K! I understand where you're coming from , if it was a full uniform and were getting them cleaned each week like the other guy said i could see charging a little bit each week. Butt, not for t-shirts. I give my guys 5 every year and extras when needed as they wear out. Usually I can get the shirt and printed for $12-13 each, I don't know what carhart shirts are but they must be pretty special at that price and your screen guy must be an amazing arteest:laugh:
Damn , so you dropped $1500 on t-shirts!

I finally bit the bullet and ordered 50 T-shirts. Orange Carharts in M or L tall, $12 - $13 each. However, the local person I hired is charging me another $17 per shirt to design my custom logo and print both the front and back. They are going to look great, but I did not plan on $30 per shirt :msp_confused:!

I will supply my three guys with two shirts, and after that charge them $20 for replacements.

There is always a set-up fee on custom design logo work on first runs on hats and shirts

Do you think people that do design work do it for free ?

I won't say you're cheap, you're a @#$@$$ , J/K! I understand where you're coming from , if it was a full uniform and were getting them cleaned each week like the other guy said i could see charging a little bit each week. Butt, not for t-shirts. I give my guys 5 every year and extras when needed as they wear out. Usually I can get the shirt and printed for $12-13 each, I don't know what carhart shirts are but they must be pretty special at that price and your screen guy must be an amazing arteest:laugh:
Damn , so you dropped $1500 on t-shirts!

I buy sweatshirts t shirts and if need be pants or boots , I don't care what it cost me , and I feed them lunch when there hungry and as for coffee we drink a lot and often I toss cold undrank brand new coffee , and if ever after all of that charged them for one shirt they would laugh at me and prolly do the jig on it , and for good reason ! I worked for some cheap ass bastards who wanted us to be dressed to impress with there names , and we did but on there dime it's an expense just the same as the diesel for the trucks would you charge them for that? Doubtful ? Same premiss though .

Cheap?!

Thoughts and rants?

Sounds like you take pretty good care of your crew. The T shirts will be good cheap advertising...and seen by hundreds of people a day. They're also a write off.

Just give 'em the T shirts. I mean, damn.

hahaha if the co I worked for charged me for shirts I'd quit! we generally get about 10 high vis shirts a year plus sweatshirts for in the winter they also have an option through a uniform co. its like 5 bucks a week for shirts and pants but that optional also we get baseball hats and winter hats if we want um they provide us with gloves (three choices, run of the mill leather work gloves, nice insulated leather gloves or atlas coated gloves) bring in a wore out pair and get a new pair as needed. the only thing they charge us for if we want is for double thick sweatshirts and its 50/50

something I just thought about if you only give them 2 they have to do laundry every couple days??? or your gonna have some stinky workers!!!

its not there fault you bought the most expensive T shirts on the market...

Cheap?!

Thoughts and rants?

I believe there is something terribly wrong with buying tools and letting employees use them on side jobs. I am sure I am not alone in thinking you are out of yer cotton pickin mind for doing that and if you aren't you will be if you keep it up.
That is even more ludicrous than charging for the shirts to which I say that if you want me to wear your shirt with your name on it then, among other things, you better have a very good HMO for me.
Its good to keep up with training the crew but if you feel that one of them has his head up his ass its probably because he is tired and overburdened with his work load.

I think i woulda shopped around. The place I use did charge me a set up fee the first time but it was like 60 bucks. I order 12-20 shirts a year and its like 150. The shirts hold up nice too, I have some five years old and they are just faded. I can get you there info if you want.

I am kind of new around here, but this has been my most successful thread.

I appreciate all the comments -- even ones I initially thought went a little too far.

I am not an expert in this business, or running any business. OTH, I am damn proud that I am still here after 5 years.

Oh, whatever, I'll give them the shirts -- but tear
em a new one if they destroy them needlessly. Not gonna happen, though, as my guys all get along great with each other and with me.

I am not going to respond individually, but do remember someone above blaming my climber for wanting more equipment: I don't blame him at all, and follow a lot of his advice. We scope out jobs together, and listen to each other in coming up with a work plan. I would never send him up something I wouldn't climb myself, and I tell him he never has to compromise safety for speed.

That's all. Just have time to grab a beer before the new James Bond movie at the Skylight, where you can take your pizza and beer in and sit on a couch.

Aspen Tree Service Inc. gives us 5 T-shirts and a ball cap, and last fall a carhart insulated hoody, but no gloves, I think gloves should be provided as OSHA too, but we go through the gloves, on the office wall it says bring in your torn or faded Aspen tree shirts and exchange them for new ones, as your apearance is a direct reflection of Aspen Tree Service Inc. as a whole, not sure where he gets his, but here in San Antonio I paid a one time $35 one time set up fee and a $5 per shirt or cap monogram fee and had a ####ees welding shirt ,done with Goodman TreeScapes above the left pocket, then sewed my ISA patch on the sleeve to use for quotes, and am thinking of doing 12 ball caps that was the minimum, but on shirts there is no minimum mine or thier's. they demoed 2 ball caps for a logo mess up on my car too, they had screen print specials too not sure how much but I think i
Pault started a $5 per side yours or thier's plus cost of shirt,
Paul

Back