ordered Husky 359. what accessories?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All, This is my first post to this site. After reviewing a number of postings here I decided to buy (from Bailey's) a Husky 359 (non-cat, 20" Husky branded Powermatch bar, Oregon 72LG chain) for firewood and fence post cutting. I haven't received it yet but am curious to find out what the users here found to be helpful/the best accessories. I'll be cutting a lot of lodgepole, aspen, and Douglas fir probably up to about 20" DBH.

Sharpening: files and guides for the above chain (there seems to be a number of different options for filing this chain).

Lubricants and lubrication tools

anything else?

PS I'm also looking at a new woodstove for the house we're buying. So far it's looking like a Blaze King Princess model...any thoughts?

Personal protective equipment!

Oh yeah, welcome to AS, and where in Montana?

Last edited:
Personal protective equipment!

What he said! Hard hat w/ear protection, chaps, chainsaw gloves, and good steel toed boots minimum. From some other strings a source for gasoline that DOES NOT contain ethanol.

P.S. Damn fine choice of saw :hmm3grin2orange:.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that I also ordered chaps and a hardhat with mesh face shield & hearing protection but thanx just the same. We currently live in Bozeman, MT but are buying in Emigrant, Montana. It will be the first place we've ever lived in that has a wood stove. We hope to use the stove as our primary means of heating. The house does have propane forced-air heater which we'll use as backup but we all know the cost of petro products isn't getting any cheaper. I have no idea how many cords we'll be cutting. We're also needing to install a fence to keep our dog from wondering - we'll be cutting lodgepole for fenceposts.

We're also needing to install a fence to keep our dog from wondering - we'll be cutting lodgepole for fence posts.

:rock: :rock: :rock: A responsible pet owner!!! I'm locked out or would throw some rep your way for that. I don't have a dog. I don't want a dog. I REALLY don't want to clean up after YOUR dog!!! I live on the fringe of urban/suburban, everybody that moves out here gets a BIG dog. After a short period dog is either penned up in back yard where it barks at bugs all night long or allowed to run loose. Damn things run off deer and leave BIG deposits all over my yard.

We've had our bird-hunting fool of a yellow lab for six years now and I like to think that we're responsible pet owners. He doesn't bark much (except at cats and bears) but he does howl at trains. We won't be neglecting him at all so I don't expect him to develop the bad-barking behavior so many other dogs do.

Anyways, back to the thread: I also read those threads about ethanol in gas and the bad things happening to 2-cycles because of it. We're fortunate to not have blended gasoline here in Montana (although Missoula does during the winter months).

Any recommendations for sharpeners?

Local Stihl dealer gets mine. These guys will tell you get good with file first; probably makes sense. I've seen some badly burned chains from a different saw (Jonsered) dealer.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that I also ordered chaps and a hardhat with mesh face shield & hearing protection but thanx just the same. We currently live in Bozeman, MT but are buying in Emigrant, Montana. It will be the first place we've ever lived in that has a wood stove. We hope to use the stove as our primary means of heating. The house does have propane forced-air heater which we'll use as backup but we all know the cost of petro products isn't getting any cheaper. I have no idea how many cords we'll be cutting. We're also needing to install a fence to keep our dog from wondering - we'll be cutting lodgepole for fenceposts.

How many cords you cut will depend on many things like how well your house is insulated, size, type of stove, type of wood, etc. It's safe to say you could burn 5-7 cords of wood though. Do you have a wood source lined up?

BTW, Emigrant is about 4 hours from my parents in Plains. I'll be out there this summer.

I plan on getting fire wood permits from the Gallatin National Forest. They have a 4 cord minimum/12 cord maximum @ $6.25/cord for personal use.
The forest is a just a couple of miles from the house so it won't cost much in gas to transport using the pickup and trailer that we already have. The house is 2100 sq ft but I will have to make some modifications (e.g., floor vents, etc.) to get the stove heat distributed. there are also electric baseboards for use in those rooms that won't get much heat.

some of the sharpening options I'd like opinions on:
Granberg Bar-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener, Model# G-106B
Husky SharpForce™ File Guide
Electric Dremel style?

Any opnions on the different brands of 2cycle oil and lubricants would also be appreciated.

Welcome to the sight! I am sure that wont be the only saw you will have after awhile on here. Always take at least two with you in case of a disaster!
Will you be cutting green wood or dry? If green you will need to get it soon and split it I find pine will dry in 6 or 7 months but a year is what I like. If you will be using wood a lot have you thought of a chimney brush. After all this is the Firewood Heating forum. I think you have everything for the chainsaw I happen to like the husky file guide for round chain, and freehand for square.

Back