ordering chain online. ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn woodcutter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So i ordered some Carlton chain from bailey's and it will be here in a week. Anyone have any opinions on that chain?

Woodland Pro 30 SC (3/8" semi-chisel) works just fine for me. So I got a reel of it. Takes a licking & keeps on ticking. Price is right.

That's exactly what I ordered. Glad you like it. I just ordered a couple loops to give it a try and if I like it I will get a 50 ft roll. I've been extremely happy with the stihl chain but was looking for something less expensive. I'm hoping this performs the same without paying for the name!

Attachments

• 20141020_123058.jpg
    20141020_123058.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 42
I have several loops of it, got it from Stens. It doesn't hold an edge as well as Stihl chain, but it works well anyway.

I don't think there are all that many chain mfg companies. I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 or 3 and all the different chain names are just that, name changes. I've been using it for the past 3-4 years and can't see any difference in the "stay sharp" factor of the chain. But, when I buy new chain, I get a bunch, and take it to the local welding supply shop. They cryogenically treat (temper?) the chain. I just bought a 100' spool of .050 x .375 Semi Chisel Oregon chain and it's going thru the freezing process right now. Carlton was a hair cheaper, but out of stock. I called a buddy, and got a screaming deal on the spool. Can't say how much it was, but it sure wasn't any more expensive than the Carlton chain.

I have a bunch of loops of the Carlton from Baileys and it is good stuff for the price.

I don't think there are all that many chain mfg companies. I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 or 3 and all the different chain names are just that, name changes. I've been using it for the past 3-4 years and can't see any difference in the "stay sharp" factor of the chain. But, when I buy new chain, I get a bunch, and take it to the local welding supply shop. They cryogenically treat (temper?) the chain. I just bought a 100' spool of .050 x .375 Semi Chisel Oregon chain and it's going thru the freezing process right now. Carlton was a hair cheaper, but out of stock. I called a buddy, and got a screaming deal on the spool. Can't say how much it was, but it sure wasn't any more expensive than the Carlton chain.

Interesting. How do they do that, what does it cost roughly and how much does it improve the quality of the chain?

http://www.300below.com/ This isn't the company that's doing it, but the link saved me a bunch of typing.

It costs the same whether it's 1 pound or 50 pounds. I don't know what it costs now, I had it done 3-4 years ago and just dropped it off Friday and said "do it". The wood here has a lot of sand in the bark, even wood that was 20' up. Squirrels with sand in their feet, etc. The process seems to help keep the chain sharper longer, so it's a no brainer for me. At the time that I first did it, the price was reasonable and IIRC it was worth the money for the extended chain life. A 100' spool weighs 19#, so a guy could get at least 200' of chain treated for the same price.

I run some of the Woodland Pro semi chisel on one of my 7900's. It does well.

Now, I have had loops of Carlton chisel spun up for me that had some skrange hybrid tooth on it that looked part chisel/part semi chisel.

That stuff I just shy away from as it didn't cut too swift for me.

I have to order all of my .050 and .063 semi chisel as no where here carries it.

.058 is a different story. My Dolmar dealer "had" a few dusty old reels of Oregon Chipper chain. God, I love that stuff.

So much that the only bit left of those reels is just enough to spin up another 84 dl loop. :laugh:

I run some of the Woodland Pro semi chisel on one of my 7900's. It does well.

Now, I have had loops of Carlton chisel spun up for me that had some skrange hybrid tooth on it that looked part chisel/part semi chisel.

That stuff I just shy away from as it didn't cut too swift for me.

I have to order all of my .050 and .063 semi chisel as no where here carries it.

.058 is a different story. My Dolmar dealer "had" a few dusty old reels of Oregon Chipper chain. God, I love that stuff.

So much that the only bit left of those reels is just enough to spin up another 84 dl loop. :laugh:
It's amazing that forests change so much in 100 miles. I rarely have use for my 70DL chain unless I'm stumping!

It's amazing that forests change so much in 100 miles. I rarely have use for my 70DL chain unless I'm stumping!

It was frozen Norway Pine.

The 7900 annihilated the teeth of the chisel chain in the first little bit of the cut and the chipper just hogged through no sweat and kept on hogging in everything else I put it in that day.

A little more forgiving than semi chisel and is readily available to me....I'll take it.

http://www.300below.com/ This isn't the company that's doing it, but the link saved me a bunch of typing.

It costs the same whether it's 1 pound or 50 pounds. I don't know what it costs now, I had it done 3-4 years ago and just dropped it off Friday and said "do it". The wood here has a lot of sand in the bark, even wood that was 20' up. Squirrels with sand in their feet, etc. The process seems to help keep the chain sharper longer, so it's a no brainer for me. At the time that I first did it, the price was reasonable and IIRC it was worth the money for the extended chain life. A 100' spool weighs 19#, so a guy could get at least 200' of chain treated for the same price.

I took a briggs to them in 1996. It was the first one they had done. Racing dirt gokarts, and running alcohol, made for having to bore for each rebuild. 30 over was as far as the rules allowed you to go. It took 10 over to clean up the stock block, so you only got 2 rebuilds on a block. As the Briggs is a valve in block design, all your port work was in the block, so you were always having to bite the bullet. After freezing the block, we got 3 rebuilds with no boring. The day I was there, Roy Hills IHRA funny car parts were there.........his intake valve swallowed my Mt. Dew can......LOL

Latest posts

Back