Oregon 12Volt Chain Grinder work well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So while browsing at my local Low's the other day they have a Oregon 12 volt chain grinder. This wood work well with my Polaris as it has a lighter plug. Has anyone made the purchase and how satisfied with it are you? Thanks, Ken

Variations of these have been sold by Oregon, STIHL, Granberg, and others for many years. A lot of people like and use them.

Key thing to keep in mind is that the diameter of the grinding stones change as they wear, so you may need to compensate a bit to keep your cutters uniform over the life of each stone.

Philbert

I must agree with Philbert. I used a Granberg for about five years and they were nice to have in the field. But, I went through lots of stones and finally burned out the motor as well. And, as you go from one saw to the next, the setup time adds up. Cutting several chains requires several mounts to a bar. I was glad to eventually get my 511A. Yesterday I sharpened 16 chain loops with it, all sorts of sizes. Using the Granberg to do the same would have taken a week.

I would agree with WD and Philbert, I had one and while it worked ok I have finally gone to having a pair of bench mounted grinders, one for 3/8 and one for .325. I take a pair of saws and a couple chains for each and change saws or chains when a chain gets dull.
While I always have files with me I can't remember the last time I used them. Grind when I get home at the end of the day, clean the saw, file the bar if needed and I am good to go the next day.

My neighbor loves his even though his cutters are gun metal blued and his saw makes 45 degree cuts. I gave the man a 2 in 1 file for christmas and showed him how to use it last year. When he ran his saw he exclaimed a few 4 letter words of happiness after a few passes on a large log claiming his love for his husqy rancher and how great it cuts.

I've got a Makita cordless chain sharpener. I use inexpensive diamond hones in it and don't press very hard because you don't have to. The diameter doesn't change because the metal the diamonds are attached to never touches the chain and the diamonds are obviously a very thing coating. In addition it makes a great large, high capacity "Dremel" tool for sanding, polishing whatever. Tools have to be 1/8" shafts but a lot are.

I've got a Makita cordless chain sharpener. I use inexpensive diamond hones in it and don't press very hard because you don't have to. The diameter doesn't change because the metal the diamonds are attached to never touches the chain and the diamonds are obviously a very thing coating. In addition it makes a great large, high capacity "Dremel" tool for sanding, polishing whatever. Tools have to be 1/8" shafts but a lot are.
The diamond bits work great for sharpening a dull chain, also lets you switch to ceramic if a chain gets rocked.

Back