Oregon 72 LG vs. LGX chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer1970

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
is there any real difference between the LG and the LGX chain other than than than the grind angle being 60 deg on one and 55 deg on the other? and does this make much difference in cutting?
Thank you in advance

is there any real difference between the LG and the LGX chain other than than than the grind angle being 60 deg on one and 55 deg on the other? and does this make much difference in cutting?
Thank you in advance

Not sure in your case....I used to run CL, which is now CLX.....only difference being the blued finish, supposedly more durable. I've been told that the X just denotes the new blued finish.

The X is supposed to be a better cutter with more or different chrome. The clx used to be wide kerf chain with larger cutters almost the size of .404" but on 3/8" chassis.

The X is supposed to be a better cutter with more or different chrome. The clx used to be wide kerf chain with larger cutters almost the size of .404" but on 3/8" chassis.

they call them durapro which is now discontinued.

the lgx chain is more aggressive out of the box and stays sharper longer.. the 55 degree angle is closer to round filing than the 60 degree..the lgx is tempered a little bit.. that is what causes the bluing

'
Mike, I've heard guys ##### about that, but the 100ft of CLX I just bought seems the same as the old CL. Was it just a limited run with the wide kerf, or is my attention to detail slipping?

They might have just changed it all to x on the end like the round stuff. I haven't bought any in a while now so i'm not sure what you get when you buy new stuff now.

I still have a few links of 72lp from a roll I bought back in the early 90s too short to make even a short loop.Been using it to replace damaged cutters and stuff. Theres no bluing and if the grind is different your gonna loose it 1st filing anyway. IMO the bluing is eyewash and maybe a little rust protection before put in use, but you know what they say about opinions...

I thought the x had the little extra hump for the raker from the link in front for smother cutting?

If I understand you right, you are (sort of) describing the difference beween LP/LPX and LG/LGX, not between traditional and "x" chain.

Yep. That's the dif between the "P" and "G" chains. LPX has the short bumper drive links. LGX doesn't. DP has the bumper drive links and is "micro chisel". I wish Oregon sold "DG" chain. I like to run semi-chisel ("micro chisel") because I cut a lot of dirty wood, and it seems to touch up easier/quicker for me in the field. I have some DP, and the little bumper drivers aren't near as annoying/obtrusive as 'true' safety chain with the shark fins, folded over rakers, and other 'green chain' nonsense however....

they call them durapro which is now discontinued.
"M" is the more durable chain I think you're thinking of..... The M is for "multicut" which is for extremely dirty, abrasive cutting conditions, as said in the Oregon catalog.
I thought the x had the little extra hump for the raker from the link in front for smother cutting?

P vs. G as stated above ;)

If you guys want the rundown on different Oregon chains I'll do my best here to get it out of the Oregon catalog so you can see it in their words.

LG is no longer in the book. Not a low kickback chain. Square corner, round ground 3/8 chain. Ramped depth gauge.

LGX - Round ground chisel cutters with ramped depth gauges and standard sequence. Patented steel, OCS-01 steel. Blued cutters provide superior corrosion resistance and improved strength. "X" grind - enhanced grind geometry significatly improves out-of-box sharpness with substantial speed improvement in boring and bias (undercut) modes. Offset ramp-shaped depth gauges reduce roughness, helpos prevent cutter from diving into the sidewall of the cut. Clean ground gullets, increase chip flow and evacuation.

LPX - Description is same as LGX except the depth gauges are a bit smaller. They also employ a semi-bumper drive link with each cutter. This chain is listed as "not a low-kickback" chain as the bumpers don't particularly interfere with the cutting, but the purpose they serve is to create a low vibration chain for the user.

M - (MLGX, MLPX) Specially built chain with extra-heavy-duty chrome on the cutters for effective cutting in extremely dirty or abrasive conditions. (Note: M is used as a prefix)

Thanks too all for your help and input. Now to just decide weather or not I want to order Carlton chain or Oregon..... so many choices.... I am leaning towards the Carlton due to the cutters are made with nickel alloy steel so their a little harder and since I use a grinder to sharpen it should be a plus... Thoughts on this.... I also use mostly 3/8lp semi chisel and 3/8 std full chisel.

They did have the CLX, CKX, and CJX which were square ground durapro. .404" cutters on 3/8" chassis with a wider kerf and longer cutter. I bought a few loops of it but traded the last one off a few months back. Let me see if I can dig up a picture of it.

006-1.jpg

010.jpg

They did have the CLX, CKX, and CJX which were square ground durapro. .404" cutters on 3/8" chassis with a wider kerf and longer cutter. I bought a few loops of it but traded the last one off a few months back. Let me see if I can dig up a picture of it.

006-1.jpg

010.jpg

Yes the durapro was a square grind chain, my brain skipped over that in looking stuff up but thought the description was more on spot for the "m" series chain than the durapro.

I leave my pic(brand new 91VXL) for guys 2012 and guys visiting here after 2023. It seems 60 angle grinding to gullet with shaped wheel + 55 angle additional grinding for the top plate. 703C4642-63D2-41A7-B3F6-2D4EB70362C5.jpeg

Back