Oregon bar codes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I recall right, #1 is 20" .050 gauge. #2 is 27" .050 gauge. I just checked my '85 Oregon application guide and none of the numbers on the bar jived with what it showed. I did see, however, that the immediately previous edition would've been able to tell me.
Believe the op's bars are using a mid 1970's Oregon numbering system. My 68 and 82 catalogs use different numbering systems. And nobody has ever talked about a cross referencing catalog for the different Oregon numbering systems.

This guide shows some of the tail mount codes (letter / number).

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Oregon-Bar-Mounts-Catalogue.pdf
Oregon did a lot of OEM manufacturing, and often used specific codes to identify a company, saw, or bar & chain package, that was different from their standard retail coding.

I used to call their customer service and get answers from them, on non-standard, bar numbers.

1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST.

IMG_6654.jpeg

IMG_6655.jpeg

Philbert

1000002734.jpg1000002732.jpg
the 27/28" was given to me...nearly new condition but not for Stihl or Husky so have no use for it. The 2050 came off a Jons 2050 but the fit wasn't that great so I wondered if it originally went to some other brand saw.
I've been going through all the bars I have collected over the years to see what can be restored and what will become yard art :p

I've been going through all the bars I have collected over the years to see what can be restored and what will become yard art
Post ‘em in the Trading Post, or offer them up for trades.

Some of the older bars could be attractive to guys with other saws.

Philbert

The 23206 is a sprocket nose 3/8", 0.050 gauge, 27" bar for large Jonsered such as the 90 and 111. As for 23247 it should be the same bar with a .404 nose.

The 23194 is a sprocket nose 3/8", 0.050 gauge, 20" bar for McCulloch 10 series such as the10-10.. As for 23239 it should be the same bar with a .404 nose.

The 23206 is a sprocket nose 3/8", 0.050 gauge, 27" bar for large Jonsered such as the 90 and 111. As for 23247 it should be the same bar with a .404 nose.

The 23194 is a sprocket nose 3/8", 0.050 gauge, 20" bar for McCulloch 10 series such as the10-10.. As for 23239 it should be the same bar with a .404 nose.
Thanks!
both are 3/8, .050
the 20” is in pretty rough shape. I’ll see if I can restore the rails to something approaching.050 :p
the 27 is nearly new, very little use.

Bill, where did you find the codes? It would be great to have some sort of chart like Philbert posted but for the older bars.
I have kept the old dealer books I ran across over the years. It is far from complete but I generally can find most stuff. I have books back to 1955 although right now I am not sure where my 1960's binder is. Those bars are 1970's bars. As far as I know there is no real rhyme or reason to those numbers. They are just part numbers. I have to scan through all bar part numbers.

1704093616823.png

I have kept the old dealer books I ran across over the years. It is far from complete but I generally can find most stuff. I have books back to 1955 although right now I am not sure where my 1960's binder is. Those bars are 1970's bars. As far as I know there is no real rhyme or reason to those numbers. They are just part numbers. I have to scan through all bar part numbers.

View attachment 1140379

I've went through this trying to get tractor parts at NAPA/ORiellys etc.

Their online search system ain't worth a turd, even for cars, and they have thrown away all the old hard copy catalogs.

Their online search system ain't worth a turd, even for cars, and they have thrown away all the old hard copy catalogs.
My wife loves finding old paper copies. She has fancy scanners and makes OCR databases eventually. We have stacks of Thomas Registers, city registers, etc. 100 TB of scanned docs later, lol.

Our Stihl dealer closed the doors in November and auctioned off most everything they could. All the old books remained. I need to speak with him regarding them.

Latest posts

Back