oregon grinder - setting depth gauges - a video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a CBN for many years now and have sharpened 100's of chains. While they do clog from filthy chains, a quick sot of brake parts cleaner and they are like new again.

CBN can be stripped and re plated also at a lesser cost of a new wheel, although US Diamond isn't the place to have it done.

I wanted a wheel more to the profile of the raker so I made a blank and sent it to be plated. You also get to choose the grit you prefer.
Blurry pic but you get the jist.

View attachment 537045

thanks for the input on cbn wheels. they do come with some sort of cleaning block but a dose of solvent sounds good. i my try a set next time i replace wheels. that could be fairly soon since i am using Total resin wheels at present. they don't last too long.

you could just dress the wheel so that you have the desired raker top angle with the grinder set to 55 degrees.

Exactly what I was implying. However, you are still going to have to do some kind of changing for when you reverse the chain to do the rakers on the other side.

However, you are still going to have to do some kind of changing for when you reverse the chain to do the rakers on the other side.
I don't reverse the chain. Good idea, but the chain positioning stop only works in one direction, and there is not enough travel in the grinder head tilt on the Oregon style grinders to run at an angle in both directions.

Philbert

To all of you guys that use the CBN wheels how much use are you getting out of them.... some say they last forever, and I am hearing some people say they aren't...

And lastly do they really help with cutting heat down a lot... and is the finished edge better than you would get with the pink wheels????

8 yrs now on my 1st wheel and just flipped it to the other side. 2-300 chains /yr but I use a very light touch as it is an aggressive grit from Foley Belsaw.

4 yrs now on a Radiac wheel for the Silvey grinder. It will burn quicker but is a much finer grit.

Ist yr on the raker wheel, also Radiac plated.
US Diamond wanted mega $$$ for plating.

Hello there.... I just happened to see you are from Indiana, I live around Muncie....that pretty nice that you have then make a custom whee for you.....

Looks as if you have a Oregon 520 there, if so how do you like it so far???

I'm real close to Plymouth.

Oregon knock off for the raker grinder.

Oregon 520 for the Foley wheels. 3/16 & 1/8 It's a very good machine.

Silvey with Radiac wheels. 3/16 & 1/8 My favorite.

Exactly what I was implying. However, you are still going to have to do some kind of changing for when you reverse the chain to do the rakers on the other side.

i don't understand what you mean by "reverse the chain to do the rakers on the other side." all you have to do is advance the chain by one cutter instead of two, readjust the wheel height and go. the problem is when you change to a different. chain, say .404 to .325. truth is, readjusting the angle with the index on the back of the grinder is not a major problem, takes a second or two. dressing the wheel to the exact angle is more difficult.

8 yrs now on my 1st wheel and just flipped it to the other side. 2-300 chains /yr but I use a very light touch as it is an aggressive grit from Foley Belsaw.

4 yrs now on a Radiac wheel for the Silvey grinder. It will burn quicker but is a much finer grit.

excellent point, if you go to a finer grit, you have to deal with increased heat. nothing is free.

Wow you have quite the collection of grinders.... I have noticed that GAD is as bad as CAD, so I am goin to have to be happy with the 520 for awhile lol....

Thats is a GREAT amount of use on those wheels....Hell it is money ahead to buy the expensive wheels upfront, since you get that much use out of them!!!

Do the foley wheel fit the Oregon grinder then, or did you have to do some arbor modifications....

I have mine set at 0*. Use a metal wheel, CBN/diamond, whatever it is. Use 3 grinders, one for 3/8" and .404, one for .25 & .325 and the depth gauge one.

Maybe it's not right, dunno. I don't sharpen many chains, only maybe 10-15 a week.

2 Oregon 510s and a lime green clone (same thing as the 510). Had a Simington square grinder, sold it on here a little while back, we didn't use it.

we used to sharpen 20+ chains every sunday night, and service the saws too, air filters and repairs. That was for an arborist in the north bay, california.

i use three grinders too. like you, two oregon grinders for 3/8 - .404 and lo pro. and the green machine for rakers. the main advantage is i don't have to waste time changing wheels for different chains. interesting that thetimber tuff clones are now selling for just $139 at tractor supply.

I have seen the NT versions on sale for as little as $90 this year. They are often a 'Black Friday' sale item. While not a fan, I still encourage people who buy them to replace the wheels with the Molemab wheels from Bailey's (periodically on sale for $12 or so)
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...Oxide-Grinding-Wheel-5-3-4-x-3-16-80-Grit.axd

Philbert

i still hve the wheels that came with the timber tuff grinder, unopened packages. i'm using oregon ann total wheels. the timber tuff wheels would be fine for grinding a damaged chain. you could put the good wheel on to finish the job.

I have seen the NT versions on sale for as little as $90 this year. They are often a 'Black Friday' sale item. While not a fan, I still encourage people who buy them to replace the wheels with the Molemab wheels from Bailey's (periodically on sale for $12 or so)
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...Oxide-Grinding-Wheel-5-3-4-x-3-16-80-Grit.axd

Philbert

I'll never shop at Baileys again after their whole identity theft "issue". Why they felt a need to keep credit card numbers in a database is completely beyond me. **** Bailey's! And why people on here found out nearly 2 months before we did (as a commercial customer?) Not to mention their pricing was always confusing. Often cheaper through Bailey's vs Woodland, but the same exact company... but we weren't supposed to order the cheaper item through Bailey's.
Sorry for the off topic, but I hate them with a passion. When they send flyers it goes straight to the woodstove.

Anyhow, I can't notice any difference between Oregon wheels or the ones from the lime green grinder.

the timber tuff wheels would be fine for grinding a damaged chain.

Or, skeet shooting . . . .

I'll never shop at Baileys again.

I have generally had good experiences with Bailey's - just put in an order, expecting on Monday. If I boycotted due to credit scams, I would also have to skip Target, Home Depot, Amazon, . . . Heck, I even had my federal government personnel files hacked - maybe I should stop paying taxes?

Anyhow, I can't notice any difference between Oregon wheels or the ones from the lime green grinder.
If you don't notice a difference, then that the difference is not important to you. Same thing goes for chains, food, wine, etc. Seriously. For some people a small difference makes a big distinction, and for others, not so much. If you try something fairly, and the difference is not noticable or important to you, then there is no reason to spend more money on one over the other.

Philbert

I've never been scammed like that before. I use cash for most things.
Thankfully my bank was decent to work with but it required getting new cards and checks. The scammer cleaned me out for over $2k, bought an airline ticket and groceries in England.
Yes, it was from Bailey's, that's all I used the card for, pay cash for 99% of things.

The theft wasn't so much the issue, but how it was handled. Why it took 2+ months to contact us? Couldnt have emailed the vendors? And when I finally got a letter and asked them about it taling so long, I pretty much got... "oh well, not our problem"

We weren't a huge vendor, maybe a couple grand a year, but as another vendor told us (Madsen's).. 'I don't care if you spend $5 a year, you'll be treated just as well as the guy spending $500,000"

Or, skeet shooting . . . .

I have generally had good experiences with Bailey's - just put in an order, expecting on Monday. If I boycotted due to credit scams, I would also have to skip Target, Home Depot, Amazon, . . . Heck, I even had my federal government personnel files hacked - maybe I should stop paying taxes?

If you don't notice a difference, then that the difference is not important to you. Same thing goes for chains, food, wine, etc. Seriously. For some people a small difference makes a big distinction, and for others, not so much. If you try something fairly, and the difference is not noticable or important to you, then there is no reason to spend more money on one over the other.

Philbert

As long as it makes chain sharp it's good for me. The customers don't care if it's on a $1.99 chrinder or $40k one, as long as their saw cuts.

I have one credit card that I use for on-line purchases. When (not 'if') it gets hacked, I contact the credit card company and start over. Never use a debit card on line.

Philbert

I don't have any credit cards. Never had a need to. Also no credit accounts at stores, cash only. Was too easy to "charge" while working on stuff and BOOM, bill for 3k comes in.

Back