Oregon LGX Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flotek, I applaud you for not following the crowd. Most guys think Oregon is too soft and Stihl is great.
As for me I am just think the price for Stihl is a ripoff.

flotek, I applaud you for not following the crowd. Most guys think Oregon is too soft and Stihl is great.
As for me I am just think the price for Stihl is a ripoff.

Flotek pretty much nailed it. I like Stihl chain and I think Stihl is generally a better chain than Oregon but it's not enough better to justify Stihl's prices.
We kept track over the course of a year running Stihl chain and Oregon chain and the cost-per-hour of useful life was considerably lower for Oregon.

If you're just whacking up a few cords of firewood and not using very much chain the Stihl might be okay. But if you're running through several chains or even a roll or two of chain every year the Oregon is probably a better deal.

LGX is fine, as is RSC/RS - but I find LPX slightly faster and smoother - at least as long as chip removal isn't a problem (I don't use long enough bars to find out).

No price differense to speak of here.

I have been thrilled with LGX on my 385xp, I'm just cutting firewood that is often dead, or on the ground. It sharpens up nice and takes the abuse. Yeah the Stihl chain was nice in clean wood but life was not there and sharpening sucks!

I have been thrilled with LGX on my 385xp, I'm just cutting firewood that is often dead, or on the ground. It sharpens up nice and takes the abuse. Yeah the Stihl chain was nice in clean wood but life was not there and sharpening sucks!

Using a 13/64" file (as prescribed) instead of a 7/32" one helps a little when sharpening Stihl 3/8" chain - but I still tend to agree. ;)

After seeing Brazilian Oregon chain hitting the market I'm a bit wary of buying individual loops of Oregon without seeing the original 100' packaging. Who knows what the hell you are getting. The Brazilian made Oregon semi I've run (still have about 80' in the shed) is absolute crap.
Personally I really like the LGX I've used and rate it as the best out of the box full chisel chain I've run, closely followed by RSC. The fastest full chisel chain I've ever run outside of square though is actually Carlton A1LM that I hand filed. Funnily enough I don't actually rate Oregon Semi Chisel compared to Stihl or Carlton (or the older Windsor).
I use 7/32" files on all 3/8" chain regardless of brand and interestingly a few softwood fallers I spoke to in S/E South Australia were also running 7/32" files on Stihl chain. I've tried 13/64" and never found it really made any difference but personally I do like the larger gullet with a 7/32" file. On new Stihl chain though a 7/32" is a tight fit between the back of the depth gauge and the leading edge of the cutter :(

I've tried all different brands and for me the lgx chain is the best I ever used so far In My experience

Back