Oregon Square Ground Chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary Walrath. I liked Gary .He reminded me of Kenny Rodgers ha ha .He got me seriously involved in the hot saws.Even visited Gary and his family at his acreage in West Linn Oregon back in the summer of 1984.Took in a competition with him at Estacata.Years earlier Gary held land speed records on motorcycles, very interesting man.

I thought so.
Gary has been retired for many years now.

Oregon Engineer

Apparently 7 or 8 years ago. Maybe for only a short while after Oregon changed from the flat top cutter to the tilted top that they now have. I have a couple of the old style chains but I dont know when they made the change. Problem is chain reels can pop up that have been discontinued for a while. The dealer I spoke of is now working away from here fixing murdercycles. Our woods operations are flat bottomed out here!

I guess the thinking is the tilted cutter gets square with the bar in the cut?

I guess the thinking is the tilted cutter gets square with the bar in the cut?
It would be interesting to file each of the two chains as close to each other as possible in every other way and clock them and study the chips and the kerf bottom.

It would be interesting to file each of the two chains as close to each other as possible in every other way and clock them and study the chips and the kerf bottom.

Yes it would Frank. You did say you had some of each??

Yep, goofy file work's good. Easy to use in the field. In my opinion it's the easiest sq file to learn with (It's what I learned on anyway).

Andy

Two more pluses for the goofy file, they are alot faster than round and the goofy file is less expensive than a regular sq file. -Here- is a good thread on goofy fileing

Last edited:
I file my full chisel chains, and semi chisel, with a round file... But the end result is like a hybrid between square ground and round. I think it gives me the best of both worlds, and it isn't as sensitive to dirt (or knots). I do it by using a smaller file than is recommended for that tooth. Once the shape is roughed in, touch-up is a breeze... And it's a very aggressive profile.

My buddies, family members, etc. are always asking me to sharpen their saws for them... Which can get old.

Back