Oregon vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, well that is YOUR opinion. Oregon and Carlton (now owned by Oregon) do not compare to Stihl. Carlton used to be good until they were bought out by Oregon. Both used to be made here locally, but now Oregon is Oregon in name only. Both are made of-shore someplace now. Many sites online compare Oregon and Stihl head to head in many tests and Stihl comes out ahead of every other chain out there.

Another noob (or recycled AS band camp member?) here trolling and stirring the old post shyte? Husky fan trashing Stihl? Same old crusty crap. Similar to oil threads being dragged up from the dead by noobs here lately.

Oregon is still made down in Milwaukee, Oregon if it wasn’t Covid they do tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have never run oregon chains other than their lp 3/8 and it used to be good stuff 10 years ago that i could sharpen it until the teeth were gone . I ran out of what i bought back then 2-3 years ago and had to get more. I ordered 4 loops and a bar to cut a tree at a friends and at first i was thinking this stuff sure stays sharper longer being it was sharp after a hour of cutting but it went dull quickly after that and required filing then it went dull after 30 minutes then 20 and started stretching badly..the second chain did the exact same thing so i gave the remaining 2 loops to my friend and swore off oregon chains and ordered a couple cheap brands to try trailblazer & tallox the trailblazer was just like the oregon but the tallox cut chips like standard 3/8 and re-sharpened and holds a edge excellent. their bars are meh being the tips are easily spread and wear quickly and the rails are on the edge of not hard enough.
The stihl chains I run are rs and they cut excellent throwing big chips, they re-sharpen easy with a quality file and hold their edge for two tanks if necessary but you pay for what you get...stihl .325 chains seem to last me about 12-14 tanks before its worn out if i file 3-4 swipes between every tank but I am hoping to extend that number a couple more tanks by using a stump vise and getting it down to 2-3 swipes with the file.

Latest posts

Back