Osage Orange in comparison to Mulberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've used Mulberry but not Osage Orange as fuelwood, and was wondering is Osage Orange that much more of a BTU producer than Mulberry? Some of you have posted about Osage Orange really throwing heat, and was wondering if it is really that much more potent than Mulberry? Thanks!

YES!!!! Osage orange has the highest BTU of ANY wood per SQFT, period!!!!!
Mulberry burns nice, has a nice smell and produces decent heat, but nothing like hedge!!!! BUT, it doesn't pop and try to burn you're house down either!!!
The only way, in my older/wiser years I would burn hedge now (and do) is in an air tight stove!!!!

The btu output of Osage orange in comparison to Mulberry is about 35% higher (and Mulberry is on par with Red Oak) which is significant.

Other than that both woods have similar characteristics. They have that mustard yellow/orange look when freshly cut that darkens to brown when dried and it pops and sparks more than other firewoods.

Mulberry also makes a great smoking wood with similar characteristics to apple (which is the preferred wood for poultry). I haven't tried hedge for smoking meats but I suspect it would be the same.

Mulberry burns nice, has a nice smell
With this exception,a male mulberry stinks when burnt. At least an Ohio male mulberry does.I don't know maybe Ohio mulberrys have more testosterene growing amidst the cornfields or something.That's the best excuse I could come up with on short notice.:biggrinbounce2:

I have been burning some Mullberry for the past 4 hours tonight for the first time and I have to say I am impressed. I had never used it before I just got some a couple of weeks ago.

I've burnt a quite a bit of mulberry. My wife likes the way it burns. It is part of the current fall mix of wood - mostly dead elm and maple with some burr oak and mulberry mixed in.

Mulberry is also good for smoking pork loins and butts.

Don

I have burned both for several years now, and the agent orange is somewhat hotter IMO. Biggest load(s) of wood I got was approx 40 pickup loads of Osage in 1 week. "Me" personally, I would let it cure at least 3 years before burning. Every time someone comes to pick up stuff at my farm...they say can I buy some of that there wood...:) Nope---that's my private stash. I would take mulberry anytime and anyday when I can get it though, problem around these parts, is you can't find any bigger trees.

I burn both mulberry and hedge (Osage Orange). I personally burn way more mulberry because everyone goes so nuts for the hedge around here for fenceposts and firewood, mulberry is often overlooked. Hedge puts out more heat, but Andy is right, it throws way more sparks and pops more than MOST mulberry, although I have burned mulberry that throws sparks bad occaisonally. I have never burned any mulberry that stank, could be a different species here in Kansas? Also, I cure ALL my wood one year whether its Oak, Hackberry, Ash, Locust, Mulberry...etc, and it always burns wonderful for me.

Back