OSHA investigates 'Ax Men'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm by no means an expert here, but with the wind-direction what it was I'm pretty sure the tree would have fell in the exact location he felled it anyway. Astoria is right on the coast and that is where the storm was moving from.

danger = watercooler talk = ratings

Well, tune in because it was announced today by helicopter loggers that they would be filming here in September-- If they get all the permits and stuff by then that are required to film on federal land. I plan to keep a very low profile.
Can't wear camo though, got to be extra bright around helicopters. Today's meeting was the most bizarre of any I've had, and there was an interesting side conversation going on about some of the loggers that were on it. Very interesting....but too long.

Well, tune in because it was announced today by helicopter loggers that they would be filming here in September-- If they get all the permits and stuff by then that are required to film on federal land. I plan to keep a very low profile.
Can't wear camo though, got to be extra bright around helicopters. Today's meeting was the most bizarre of any I've had, and there was an interesting side conversation going on about some of the loggers that were on it. Very interesting....but too long.

Lol...Will you still share pictures and conversation with us ordinary types after you've become a famous TV Star and the poster child for the USFS logging activities?

I doubt that will happen or else I'll have to have a minder along. The agency hires special people to do the talking, just like the big companies. I'll just get a wax coated paper bag and cut some eye holes in it when I have to be around the filmers. The helicopter guys say that they are not going to be exciting either, and it'll probably be boring. They will have 10 cutters going and will be taking up some of the camping spaces used by the mushroom and huckleberry pickers during that time of year. There might be some camping wars, the mushroom-berry pickers are often armed and have been known to brandish their weapons. A spinoff opportunity awaits..The Pickers. :)

I wonder if it was a violation of OSHA regulations for Melvin Lardy to be winging that block and tackle from his machine out to his crew.

I doubt that will happen or else I'll have to have a minder along. The agency hires special people to do the talking, just like the big companies. I'll just get a wax coated paper bag and cut some eye holes in it when I have to be around the filmers. The helicopter guys say that they are not going to be exciting either, and it'll probably be boring. They will have 10 cutters going and will be taking up some of the camping spaces used by the mushroom and huckleberry pickers during that time of year. There might be some camping wars, the mushroom-berry pickers are often armed and have been known to brandish their weapons. A spinoff opportunity awaits..The Pickers. :)

Mud Road Pickers
Shroom Men
Deadliest Berries
HuckleberryLand
Slug Week

I'm an idea man!

I know, feed huckleberries to the mushrooms.

my original point was---not that they didnt follow the rules of osha--its like they said, prior to the show--they never got investigated----like a lot of gov people--do nothing--until its in front of your face---and then blow it up like your really doing something--typical gov worker mindset----

my original point was---not that they didnt follow the rules of osha--its like they said, prior to the show--they never got investigated----like a lot of gov people--do nothing--until its in front of your face---and then blow it up like your really doing something--typical gov worker mindset----

Why thank you. I'll try to remember to do that.

SlowP, who's doing the copter logging, and what copter they using? I have a rude video I took out of a Crane once. Tell the crew you need to ride.

Pretty impressive what those fly boys do. And if you think a yarder shakes around....its nothing compared to what goes on in the copter.

When the crane would flare and drop the turn it would do the Sikorski(sp) shudder and make you wonder how a machine could take the abuse.

Gnarly.

SlowP, who's doing the copter logging, and what copter they using? I have a rude video I took out of a Crane once. Tell the crew you need to ride.

Pretty impressive what those fly boys do. And if you think a yarder shakes around....its nothing compared to what goes on in the copter.

When the crane would flare and drop the turn it would do the Sikorski(sp) shudder and make you wonder how a machine could take the abuse.

Gnarly.

No way can I ride unless it is inspected and approved by our aviation people. That is a cardinal rule. I have flown in regular helicopers several times in the past, getting dumped out to do plots, and getting to fires. I enjoyed it until on a fire when a fellow crewmember said, "Just think, we're flying low bid." and the ship came in with black smoke coming out of it, then after tinkering, and no test flight, they loaded our crew on along with a guy who was so heavy I think I felt a the thing settle heavily.

I've been under one in the winter in the Methow Valley. I couldn't figure out how the chokersetters could possibly stay warm in all the snow kicked up. It was about +15 degrees.

I'm a bit nervous about flying after being in a Horizon plane that went off the runway in Klamath Falls. Luckily, there was 4 feet of snow on the ground and it was so gentle, I didn't realize what was going on. But it was uncomfortable to think about afterwards.

Nope, I've brushed out roads to drive close to the units in, and I'll walk the rest.

The loggers said it is a small Huey type. The capacity is 2 tons and it'll take them a couple of months to do the big unit of which I can't remember the volume of right now. They try to keep the trips to 2 minutes. There was a major advantage to having the smaller one. We were able to use old yarder landings in various places for them to use instead of the acre sized ones which were up to 2 miles from the farthest units. They'll probably use a rockpit for a service landing. They plan to fly across the major arterial for tourists but will have flaggers. They said, and I quote, "People smile when they see helicopter logging because it is good."

Their pilot is a Vietnam vet which made for a little bit of humor when discussing the berry pickers that will be in the area. They are mostly of Asian descent.

I'll pack my camera and try to get pictures. They'll supply me with a radio when I have to go into the unit while they are flying. I might have to switch to the hardhat that falls off, it is way brighter than my favorite, and has a strap on it. A new vest might be in order too.

They plan to start cutting the middle of August, and work until the end of November if the snow cooperates. Road and landing blading starts next week.

On another sale, next week will be the return of the hooktenders). :eek: :eek: :eek: We'll be going on lovely hikes in the woods again. :)

Latest posts

Back