Ouch! this house needs a bandaid!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietreedude1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For some of you, this may seem like an average day. But here in Enid OK, this is not normal. However, its what I did this afternoon.

Last nite we had a nice little wind storm come thru about 3am and this tree (silver maple dbh ~ 36") was a tragedy of said storm. As you will see from the pics, it was rather rotten inside and mother nature decided to curse the owners by putting it on their house. If the fox was looking for a way to blow the pigs' brick house down, he should have added a tree to the equation.

The first house suffered massive damage (im guessing $35K+) and the second only lost 2 skylites, guttering, awning, and a 12" hole in the roof into the attic. (~ $5K) Although I didnt get the pic, there was a 2003 Z66 Avalanche under the tree too. Not a scratch!

We cut-n-chucked for about 1 hr and then had the crane comp. come in. I got to wondering about the liability of crane failure (due to the one in FL), but didnt bring it up. From start to finish, we were there about 6 hrs.

Enjoy the pics! (about 6 total)

And finally #6.

If there's anything ironic about this, the neighbor (w/ the green shutters) is in home construction.

too, the room that got smashed is a bedroom that was ocupied at the time of the hit. Fortunatly, he was not hurt.

Ouch! Were there any visable signs beforehand that the tree was in trouble?

I've never rigged a lift with chain before. Is that SOP for you?

Very Nice!

Dude, do ya know if the tree was leaning the direction of fall? Something makes me think lean was toward standing piece(?), so might have fallen in a less suspected direction(?)

Any way it would be a good case/example for things not failing just on the loaded axis/ all angles given scrutiny.

Or, something like that
:alien:

thats some peice of timber there... it's good to know no one was hurt... must've given the owners a scare!!

Greetings from the most humid damm state on the planet ,geeezzzz
Lots and lots of trees falling here. High winds and heavy rain, at about 3pm EVERY dern day for the past month and a half. Took pines off two different houses just this morning.

I go away for a while,come back and learn MikeMaas poops out of trees, and you are surfing for naked women who have lost a few limbs.:blob2: I looked too, thanks to you. :cool:

I am buying a house in Montana and have no more money. I found out land in Montana is not as cheap as folks say. Sure you can buy a lot of cheap land but you will need a helicopter if you ever plan to set foot on it.:p There's more people in Miami than in the whole dam state of Montana, and I really dig that aspect.

One day I will not get on the plane back to Tally.

Originally posted by monkeypuzzle

I am buying a house in Montana and have no more money. I found out land in Montana is not as cheap as folks say. Sure you can buy a lot of cheap land but you will need a helicopter if you ever plan to set foot on it.

How bout them mountains? My folks live in Montana. What part is the house in? Later, Roger.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Ouch! Were there any visable signs beforehand that the tree was in trouble?

I've never rigged a lift with chain before. Is that SOP for you?

Im not sure if the signs were visable to the untrained eye. There was a spot on the tree about where the top of the house 'would have' been that was home to a large wound that had a lot of rot in it. as seen in pics 1/2, the whole inside was rotten and broke at ground level.

As for rigging w/ chain, we dont use cranes that often and there are about 2-3 different ones in town we've used b4. each has their own way of doing it and chains is this comps way. I know they do a lot of heavy equip lifting so that may be why. basically, the cranes not ours so its not our call.

Spyder, as for the lean, I think all the weight was toward the direction of the fall.

I forgot to say in the originals, Many thanks to H & J Crane Service for their excellent job!

Gee, shoulda had Guy fill it with foam or something. After all, hollow spots are no big deal, right?

:laugh:

Latest posts

Back