Out cutting firewood with the 365BB and 385XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice running saws. Glad the 385 was saved without no lasting damage.

Yeah mate. This one was for playing and trying out different things. Don't know how you get these saws Will. Need any info, give me a holler.

That's the way mate!

Oh, ya, I'll be bugging you again that's for sure. The saw in question looks like it needs lots of work, but I'm used to that. And its not the only one in the mix, a few more goodies coming my way!! 394 is one of em. How do I come up with them?? Well, some people know that I do this stuff and it took a while but they just come to me now LOL. Lots of saws around these parts.

nice work Al. That 365 is particularly impressive!

Thanks Nik. Probably runs too well for this application as I have a couple nicks in my steel cap boots! :)

Wow, that 365 one fast saw Al. Perfect firewood bucking saw.

How does that peppermint burn? I came across some the other day and was wondering what kind of firewood it would make.

Peppermint is great mate. So easy to split, burns hot, no ash but doesn't last as long as your red's, yellow's etc. It will burn for 8-10 with the heater shut down. It's all I sell. One thing about the Pep. is the bark clogs up the chain and bar very easily. Not the best when you do vids but the lot of wood was barkless. Best to run skip in the wood for best results.

Nice running saws. Glad the 385 was saved without no lasting damage.

Mate, there is lasting damage. The inlet floor down to the bottom of the cyl is ugly. I did clean this up the best I could so I won't get the life out of a piston you normally would. Lucky though in the respect that the cyl is untouched in the more critical area's.
To those interested, the Meteor piston is a nice piston for the 385's. I didn't check the crown height, but I'm getting a little comp increase and the skirts a tad wider and the case reliefs are not as pronounced as the OEM.

Last edited:
Yeah, what's up with that!!!???:laugh:

Very nice saws and nice vid, too.

Poge

Thanks mate it's cool, he was only having a joke. :cheers:

Another example here of why I love 70cc saws. They have lots of power, and make significantly more RPMs than bigger saws. Great work Aussie:clap:

Thanks mate, could'nt agree more. The 70cc bracket is the perfect 1 saw plan. :cheers:

Oh, ya, I'll be bugging you again that's for sure. The saw in question looks like it needs lots of work, but I'm used to that. And its not the only one in the mix, a few more goodies coming my way!! 394 is one of em. How do I come up with them?? Well, some people know that I do this stuff and it took a while but they just come to me now LOL. Lots of saws around these parts.

Hey, good luck to ya! :clap:

Great to see some Husky saws get a work out. Makes my want to port my bone stock 372xp. Maybe, someday...

That wood, when burning it. Is it very fragrant smell? The smell of juniper/cedar or alder wood burning makes me hungry! It is a very aromatic smell .

Mike

Nah mate. I know what you mean with the smell of Cedar but no, the aroma is reserved to the leaves basically. The smell I like best is the Lemon Scented gum. A beautiful tree.

The 372 and that 385! :)

Good stuff Al. Saws both cutting really well :cheers:

Nice vid there aussie1, the peppermint down this way must be a different type than yours.The one we have has a different bark.

There are at least 21 species of Peppermint according to my EUCLID program :) Some of these only in Tassie though.

[snip]
The smell I like best is the Lemon Scented gum. A beautiful tree.

[snip]:)

I agree. They are a great tree.

We've planted a stack here as shade for the house in summer, you just have to protect them from the frosts for the first few seasons to get them established.

We should have peppermint here too, but I can't recall ever seeing it ?
Maybe further up in the hills ?

Good stuff Al. Saws both cutting really well :cheers:

There are at least 21 species of Peppermint according to my EUCLID program :) Some of these only in Tassie though.

Yeah right, my book only shows 4 for Vic, NSW etc but not surprised to hear that. :cheers:

I agree. They are a great tree.

We've planted a stack here as shade for the house in summer, you just have to protect them from the frosts for the first few seasons to get them established.

Yep, not frost friendly. Got one to about 20ft Rick by sheltering it with other tree's only to have a storm take the crown out a couple of weeks ago! :cry:

Yeah my book shows it to, but Matt seams to have more accurate info.

Last edited:
Bugger :(

When we bought here there is a fully mature one up on the hill near the hay shed so we said bugger it, we'll plant a heap, regardless of what the Forestry nursery advised.

I think ten went in and they are doing really well (so far)
We covered them for the first two years, yet a few have still been badly burnt, but the oldest are upwards of ten-twelve feet now in less than three years, so going well.

I wanted a mini Lemon Scented forest :D

They also reckoned my Sydney Blue Gums would be whacked by the frosts, but they've laughed them off with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

I have a few more Lemon Scented, Red Gum and Spotted Gums as tube stock to plant too.

I reckon I can claim Carbon Credits now, and gives me good ammunition if anyone wants to chip us bushies for cutting down and burning timber to keep warm. :D

Hey Rickus :cheers:

You may "just" have Blue Peppermint/Broad Leaved Peppermint (Eucalyptus dives), New England blackbutt/Gum-topped peppermint(Eucalyptus andrewsii subsp. campanulata), Narrow-leaved black peppermint (Eucalyptus nicholii), Narrow-leaved peppermint (Eucalyptus radiata), Sydney peppermint (Eucalyptus piperita), Wattle-leaved peppermint (Eucalyptus acaciiformis) but to be honest none of the Peppermint species are what you'd call "native" to your area mate (Blandford).

Al's well and truly got you covered in the Peppermint stakes :cheers:

Bugger :(

When we bought here there is a fully mature one up on the hill near the hay shed so we said bugger it, we'll plant a heap, regardless of what the Forestry nursery advised.

I think ten went in and they are doing really well (so far)
We covered them for the first two years, yet a few have still been badly burnt, but the oldest are upwards of ten-twelve feet now in less than three years, so going well.

I wanted a mini Lemon Scented forest :D

They also reckoned my Sydney Blue Gums would be whacked by the frosts, but they've laughed them off with absolutely no protection whatsoever.

I have a few more Lemon Scented, Red Gum and Spotted Gums as tube stock to plant too.

I reckon I can claim Carbon Credits now, and gives me good ammunition if anyone wants to chip us bushies for cutting down and burning timber to keep warm. :D

I like your thinking. A Lemon Scented forest would be cool. Look you never know. There's one down the road that could be 100 plus! Neighbors had one to 12ft then lost it to frost.

Your Spotted gums should be fine as that's what they plant in frost area's when they want the same looking tree. Shame the scent don't come with it. Another nice tree which is one of my fav's is the Red Spotted gums. They are a beaut tree and frost friendly.

And Matt, on the spotted's including the Red the Long. Beetle doesn't seem to get into them!

And Matt, on the spotted's including the Red the Long. Beetle doesn't seem to get into them!

Good to know mate.

And fellas, why aren't we all working today? I've got a flu so sitting by the fire trying to keep warm, still healthy enough to play on the computer and may even walk to the neighbours to give him a new chain for his 009 :cheers:

About 50km south of here through to the middle Hunter vineyards, Spotties are native in big numbers and look fantastic.
Spotty makes excellent tool handles too, supposedly only second to American Hickory.

I knew the New England had Peppermint Matt, so thought we may have the same/similar one here seeing as we are on a common range, although we are a fair bit lower in altitude.

And I have been to work, sort of, and feel like the bottom of a cockies cage today. Did lots of orders and calls this morning, then off to ajob, dropped some gear and,well, decided it was lunchtime. :D
Home for lunch, made a few calls and back off now...

Oh, and talking SNAG's, always done my own washing and ironing, needless to say not much ironing happens :laugh:

Great vid Al. Now if you have too much of that nice peppermint I can drag my trailer up the hill and take it off your hands. I don't mind what genus it is - it will burn in my heater.:)

Latest posts

Back