Outdoor Wood Stoves. Got one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bwalker said:
I gotta call BS on this. I have this exact pipe and there is a line of bare ground from my furnace to the house when there is snow in the ground. I had previously used insul seal and it was much better albeit more of a pain to install.
FWIW its burried 24'' deep.

your the only one out of over 75 that we have on logstor pipe to say this....we have one guy with his lieing right on top of the ground and snow stays on it till the sun hits it....you sure you got logstor from Denmark?

A $6.00 DP DT relay will do it and you don't have to pull the fuse on your A/C and won't run the risk of burning it out beeing made all winter long

Hey Gitch can you elaborate on how to wire the relay. I have not dug into the thermosatat wiring yet but I am interested in your method.
Thanks Brian

your the only one out of over 75 that we have on logstor pipe to say this....we have one guy with his lieing right on top of the ground and snow stays on it till the sun hits it....you sure you got logstor from Denmark?
I am certain it is log store as I called the company headquarters to find a dealer near me. There is no way in heck snow will cover mine, unless its below zero.
BTW I am not supprised your customers in Indiana dont see what I do as you do not have winter long snow cover like we do.

ghitch75 said:
A $6.00 DP DT relay will do it and you don't have to pull the fuse on your A/C and won't run the risk of burning it out beeing made all winter long

Yes show me the way.....

I never seen one get hurt but im sure in some one's case it has happened. I really want to see the relay im trying to think how it works.
Plus that logstor pipe, I have seen it 24inch down and you can see where it is, its my dads house that I put it in and he is still yelling at me for it, and thats why we are going to the MICRO FLEX pipe. Better pipe for the same money, have seen it in the dirt 5 or 6 inch and cant see where it is buried in the winter, got to love it. Glitch if you may want to try some I got a really good hook up it and would tell you where im getting it.
JAck

Last edited:
The wood usage that Bwalker posted are well within the range I was given by my stove supplier and not that different than I experienced with the add-on wood furnace in the basement. I suspect that most of the usage complaints are from poor installations and from people who used to heat a room or two with wood and expect that the whole house can be properly heated plus domestic water with similar amounts of wood:confused: But that is pure speculation. My neighbors who have outside wood boilers have no complaints for wood usage and I have not seen train loads of wood being dumped in their yards. I am disappointed that the stove Mfgs send generic instructions for wiring up a thermostat to model 1912 furnaces that few have in their houses and to "change the pulley sizes" on drives that we don't have. How many still have those old furnaces? I like to know how you afford to run them? I replaced mine 10 years ago. Anyway the thermostat for my hi-ef furnace has a "FAN ON" feature that runs the fan on the fastest speed. I plan on breaking into that circuit with an additional thermostat and leaving the FAN ON switch on when running the boiler. If that causes troubles I will use some help from not far away that was offered here on an earlier thread or a local HVAC guy.

Butch(OH),

dont use the fan only, unless you dont have a back up heat source. When wirring it the "right" way you will have a back up heat souce so when you for get to put wood in it your gas will turn on and heat the house and the wood stove will not freeze.
Jack

Just got in some more Timber wolf stoves In
3500sqft model-$3790
5000sqft model-$4390
7000sqft model-$5290

Non forced air draft, mild steel, 20x20 door, 10 year warnty, no grates to burn out very nice stoves.

Any ???? PM me

Jack

Any wood boiler worth its salt will have a forced draft. When I bought mine the only ones without a forced draft were low end models.
I burn anything I can get my hands on, but the last few years its been mostly green maple and semi seasoned oak. Early in the year before it gets cold I burn hemlock, aspen, tammarac and poplar.

bwalker said:
Any wood boiler worth its salt will have a forced draft. When I bought mine the only ones without a forced draft were low end models.
I burn anything I can get my hands on, but the last few years its been mostly green maple and semi seasoned oak. Early in the year before it gets cold I burn hemlock, aspen, tammarac and poplar.

Forced air,
Im going to try to find some hard facts on this but I really dont think its the best thing, works well though. Central boiler is the largerst out door wood stove dealer in the world, they dont have forced draft... just saying.

I have a Hardy and heat two houses with it. Going on the fourth season. Does not use that much wood.

By father in law has a hardy, loves it to death, I dont like it to much but o well

Latest posts

Back