Outdoor woodstove guys...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psu927

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What are you keeping your tank water temp at? I just have one zone, hot water coil in my duct, I think my t-stat is set so it runs either 3 or 4 times an hour. and no domestic hot water and I figure 180 should be fine or is there a more efficient number I could keep it at? As well as any other ideas to cut down on wood usage. Heating a trailer burning about1 1/2- 2 cords a month. My trailer is pretty tight. Hardy H2

I have a forced air furnace in the house, and just left the e classic 1400 at the default settings, get in at 175 turn off at 185. I use about a cord maybe a little more a month for heat and dhw.

Mine shuts off at 175 and comes on at 165. Haven't used the wood like I did the last couple years but that is mainly due to the spring like weather we have been having for the last two months. I'm way ahead on wood.

I turned my Hardy H2 down to 160 kick on and 170 shutoff temp to save wood. I was occasionally boiling water off at my 175 to 185 setting a couple of years ago. I use less wood and water! When it gets cold (zero) I bump it up a little ( if I remember).
Southern Illinois is milder than most of PA. I have used less wood this year than I ever have. Did not start the owb until Oct. 22. Latest ever.
I have 4 zones 1700 sq.ft. And domestic h2o.

I put foil bubble foil reflective insul on back panel of my h2. Saves a bit of heat:rock:

I have two heat zones, upstairs and downstairs and dhw for showers etc. My downstairs zone pump is intermitant and the upstairs zone pump runs continuious. I had the hot water set at 160 and the blower was coming on at 140. I had to bump the temp on the stove up to 170 because my wife was complaining about there not being hot enough water when she was showering. My theory is the hotter you make the water in the stove , the more wood you will burn. But if it is very cold out and your furnace fan is running and not shutting off, then your water temp. is too low. I try to adjust the water temp on the owb to the outside temps. in an effort to conserve wood.

On: 170.
Off: 180.

In my best Ron Popeil infomercial voice: "Set it and forget it"

I heat with a Shaver165.(yeah, I know).

I have done several mods to it.

Most of the home is heated by forced air except the 24x30 addition, it is heated via self installed radiant floor heating.

I run the Shaver water temp at 150*.

House is warm and toasty and I burn less wood.

We keep the temp around 72*

Last edited:
I turned my Hardy H2 down to 160 kick on and 170 shutoff temp to save wood. I was occasionally boiling water off at my 175 to 185 setting a couple of years ago. I use less wood and water! When it gets cold (zero) I bump it up a little ( if I remember).
Southern Illinois is milder than most of PA. I have used less wood this year than I ever have. Did not start the owb until Oct. 22. Latest ever.
I have 4 zones 1700 sq.ft. And domestic h2o.

Interesting! I'll have to try adjusting my Hardy H4. I waited as late as ever(November) to start mine this year to avoid burning so much wood. Idiot me never thought about just turning down the temp on the stove.

Burn my H4 165/175. House is about 3000sq ft at 72° in day and 67° at night. Heating dwh also. Set lower doesn't seem to save any wood (maybe forced air takes longer to heat house because of lower water temp so stove burns longer) and set higher just burns more wood with no better results.

been keeping mine set , on 160 off 170,,bumped it up some not long ago to top set of 180 as it got cold for a week or so. this mild-ish weather has allowed me to burn less wood even though i haven't even buttoned down my windows yet. the wife has been cracking open the "windowstats in the work shop...i mean bed room, as she likes to keep a mountain of quilts on the work bench,,i mean bed....

If you're not heating water, then lower temp setting on the OWB will save lots of wood. Efficiency will come from higher temp differentials between the fire and the water. These higher differentials will also bring more condensation issues in the fire box. If I wasn't doing tankless hotwater with mine, I'd be set to on at 140 and off at 150. Because of the water, I'm set to on at 160 and off at 170.

Back