Outside Wood Boiler Choices.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierreg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to replace my basement woodburner arrangement possibly. The setup now makes me track in dirt&snow. I have a block wall and could cut out an opening for dropping wood in.I saw a kool set up with a large black plastic tube that you could load from the outside and was gravity fed.I currently use a forced air heat pump so going outside hydronic system with a heat exchanger. Without stirring a bees nest,which brand of outside burner do you have? Pro and con. Thanks in advance. Be Blessed.

cb

i have a cb 6048, and love it
i researched them for quite a while(3yrs) I chose the cb, for the fire box design and i have 3 friends with them, and their wood consumption was alot less then some other brands, i think there are a couple good companies out there. In my opinion, you get what ya pay for,
I purchased my owb so i could heat 3 seperate properties, i fill up twice a day and i really would have to some days, instalation was a breeze, and customer service was great, if ya have any questions let me know
thanks ben

Woodmaster

Woodmaster 4400 here. I like the fan controlled air flow. We had a cold spell yesterday and I didn't put enough wood in it in the morning. Got home last night water temp was 98. Reset the fan and the coals got bright red within seconds and I started throwing wood in. I like the round firebox it is easy to clean out. Never cleaned another brand so they may be just as easy? I really like it and the only thing I would change is putting in the thermopex pipe instead of the woodmaster recommended brand. Good luck, go with one of the major brands and you shouldn't have any issues.

I personally went with the Central Boiler 5036 and a couple years of research and talking with friends and total strangers about their different brands and different setups.

Whatever you do, jcappe brings up a good point and it can't be said enough, use good quality insulated pipe like the CB Thermopex or Logstor. Everyone I have spoken with that has good pipe says the same thing, pricy at first, but well worth the cost. Almost everyone I know who used the cheaper pipe now wishes they went with the good stuff from the beginning, I even know of a couple guys who have dug theirs up and put in the good stuff.

wood master was my other choice vefore i bought my cb, imo, and it is only my opinion, those are the only 2 furnaces to look at, atleast around were i am at,
i would watch out for some of the others with bladders, the stoves dont lose that much water to evaporation like some dealers say, and the bladder is one more moving part to go bad,
like the other guy said, a fan forced induction can be helpfull, i havent needed one yet but i could see were it would be handy,
just dont skimp out and get a cheap one, you will be replacing it with another one some day,

After months of research I settled on a Central Boiler 5036 classic and absolutely love it. I have looked at other models at county fairs etc. and find that they all feel a little less substantial than my CB. The 25 year warranty was a nice touch too :)

I wanted a gassifier unit for less smoke, and EPA certification. I looked at CB but eneded up getting a wood doctor HE5000. I simply LOVE it. Load twice a day. Heat 2000 sqft home, 1000 sqft attached in-law suite, DHW both sides, 500 gal hot tub @ 104 degrees:) and a seperate run to a 900sqft garage with radiant concrete floor.
Honestly, I looked and looked and looked at the E-Classic from CB compared to the wood doctor and could not for the life of me see where it was worth almost twice as much. I come from a mechanical, fabricating background so I kinda do know what I'm looking at. The wood doctor is very well built, almost no smoke, forced air , downdraft burn.
Other than owning one, I am not affiliated with this company.
http://www.wooddoctorfurnace.com/converter.html

I to went with a gasser, Empyer pro200 here. First season using it and love it. fill twice a day here also. Heat 2000sf house and working on insulating garage which is 2600sf. neighbor has same brand along with his brother and the support and dealer is awsome....just my opinion, which ever brand you run with just make sure support is there that makes all the difference....Hoogie

Was looking at getting a Central Boiler unit for our new home last year and instead decided to go with an indoor gasification boiler due to the higher efficiency and lower wood consumption. I ended up with an EKO 40 with 500 gallons of pressurized storage.

Back