outside wood boilers--How much wood so far ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
with my CB 6048 on line since the end of February ,i went thou less then a 1/2 truck full.

Last edited:
How Much Wood

I have a CB 4030.I heat a 1400 sq ft. home and a 800 sq ft of shop space.I've been through about 12 cord this season which started in mid Oct ober of last year

cb 4436 about 6 bush cords so far plus some junk wood, heating 2000sf house built in 1837. i fired the boiler mid september and shut it down the end of may.
spring ain't sprung here yet, daytime highs are low 30's F and a good 2 feet of snow.

:censored: I lost count.Ran out of stock about a month ago,been dropping standing dead since.I think I've got enough for 2 more weeks without dipping into next winters wood.

How big was the truck?

with my CB 6048 on line since the end of February ,i went thou less then a 1/2 truck full.

I have used a lot of wood. Not sure how much. Does not matter I have not used any other heating fuel.

Looks like there are some pretty big numbers out there. I have 2608 sq ft. The upstairs is kept at 69 degrees, and the basement at 58 degrees. I installed a CB 5036 and radiant heaters throughout my house in the fall of 2006. The boiler sits 110' from the house. My forced air system hasn't run since then (other than for maintenance) and the breaker to my hot water heater has been shut off. I use a sidearm heat exchanger for the water and keep a small fire burning throughout the year to save $30.00 a month on my electric bill. I've been using about 6 cords of dry hard wood per year.

I started out with 8 1/5 cords of wood and now have about 3/4 cord left. Just about right to make it till spring. I have a CB HFSS36 , 1700 sf house and heat my domestic hot water. Started burning in September and will most likely burn until mid April.

I'm heating by way of a radiant floor in a 1000sf house built in the 30s, floors are 2" thick (oak and pine). The furnace also heats our hot water.

Not sure exactly how much I've gone through - but we've had 6 deliveries (each in a full size pick up truck, rounded off) which come in the form of quarter-split mixed hardwoods. recently ran out, but burned some stuff that we pulled in from the woods for about a week.

Fired it up around Thanksgiving, stopped running it regularly early March.

No more buying wood though - have a good source of free wood and I'm splitting/stacking for next winter.

Heating a barn and a house I am guessing 12 cords. I am planning on using 14 cords next season, plus I am going to have several getting ready for 2010.

I will plan on having 20 cords on hand at any given time, since my inlaws and parents burn also

how big a truck? I see you have other heat sources listed in your sig. Do they provide heat or hot water?

I heat my home and my shop. Both old and drafty. I make my hot water year round. No back up heat of ANY kind. I don't even have a backup system installed. All the heat for both buildings and my hot water comes from my owb. I don't buy wood. My heat is from my labor and a little gas mix and bar oil. Burned about 10 cord so far. Its 15 degrees outside right now at 7:45 on sunday. 70 in the house.

Back