OWB #2 - aka Goliath

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builder1101

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
FIgured i'd fire up a dedicated thread to my next firebox/OWB design.

68"x3.5x3.5 over all. marker holes are 3" pipe, 3.5' long, 1" apart from each other and sides
that level if a 4 footer for reference. I went tall because i'm using a round tank that'll be standing on end (giving credit to smilin' possums idea), as i want a HUGE door, a 3.5x4.5 door...minus draft opening, and it's easier to stack rounds/halves next to the door high instead of trying to stack up a 2nd row behind the first, avoiding reasons to stick my face in the coals...

from my math, i come up with a frogs hair over 190 square foot of heat transfer area. Should be quiet efficient. But, like i asked in the other thread, i'm worried about draw being my FB tall and not deep instead of CB's design. i'm shooting for a 10" chimney, possibly 12. is 16" out of the question? nothing wrong with good draw...

Also decided to go with the round pipe, reason? nearly doubles my heat transfer area in just pipe, whiel still keeping the top flat for heat transfer.

my fb is a bit bigger then the 6048, but i have almost 20 more sq foot of heat transfer then the 7260, so it should be quite effieient.

door will be water filled, and my draft will be in 3 pieces, solenoid pulls from the center, and with some pin work, i can pull 1/3, 2/3's, or all 3, spanning the entire width of the door depending on my recovery/BTU demand...

i think this might be a good firebox setup for a home brew, and if there's no reason to shoot down the design horribly, then next step is to do some more math and figure out how big of a chunk to cut out of this tank for the firebox to slide into....while checking out the innards of my tank.

If the tank is good, next step is to build the firebox and progress from there.

ANyways, shoot your opinions. As this is going to be an expensive build, i'll easily be $1800 in just firebox material, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.

don't be checking the thread every day for progress, as this will easily be a 6-10 month build, as i work 1hr where i'm going to be building it, it's snow season, plus i work 60hr weeks, and then on top of that i have a night a week and a weekend a month i can't leave the property because of my emergcey standby position, so it's gonna be a slow process, which is alright, as this is gonna be a chunk in the wallet. I already have a tiny OWB installed, so logstor, HX, pumps, controllers, etc, are all setup, just a matter of undoing some clamps and wirenuts and moving things over.

anyways, now i'm ranting. :)
fill my brain with some redneck ideas if you could.

I like the idea of making a mock-up. Glean ideas from commercial units. Don't know what state your in - hope it's not one that's restricting or outlawing owb's. The beer looks like Heineken, had to get one after seeing the picture.

mock up? should i take that as a compliment? Michigan. i filled in some random details for scanners that troll the web... Why do you mention it? think they'll outlaw home made's? I figured if i get it together and get grandfathered, i might have a chance. I already have one, so why not pull a switch-a-roo?

i was sitting and doing some geometry on a 1/10th scale and i think i may have to shave off 2 inches and go 40" to squeeze it in a 60" diameter drum...oh well.

And yes, Heineken. Everyday anyday. I don't like watery mule pee pee. Sorry busch and budlight, icehouse, the list continues... :)

better get the magnifying glass out and research long and hard ..they are regulating these things so bad in all states nowadays,personaly i would not even consider building my own for the fear of being fined and or told to remove eve nif ihad all the skill time and materials ,it may squeak by their radar but eventually in a few short years the dems will outlaw any woodboiler altogether

mmm check out this peach....

gonna open her up this weekend. luckly the legs were square al the way around, and i needed a 43" hole ,and guess what! thei're 43" from center!

way easier then making a pair of 6ft squares....

bw, that's my beautiful 16ft triaxle, tilt bed, and extendable tounge for a total of 22ft of frame for a 22ft bed if i had bed enough. steel diamond plate deck. reason? 30 years and hasn't rotted out, carried 20 ton objects around the yard, zero damage. yes it's heavy. 5500# empty, that's before the gas powered winch bolted to the tongue...it's abit heavy for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, really should be pulled with a dually or converted to a 5th wheel, it's over 2300# tongue weight..

anyways, that's the white pig that i'm gonna butcher. scored it for $250.
i crawled inside and it looks very nice, some scale, but i chipped it off and there's no pitting, smooth as butter. also some sexy 4" stainless unions and ~ 15ft of 4" pipe, and a like an octupus connector with 8 2" stainless screen points that fan out at the bottom...

stainless was worth 5x what i paind for the tank alone! guy said he didn't want to #### around getting it out, so he let it go without charging...

Last edited:
better get the magnifying glass out and research long and hard ..they are regulating these things so bad in all states nowadays,personaly i would not even consider building my own for the fear of being fined and or told to remove eve nif ihad all the skill time and materials ,it may squeak by their radar but eventually in a few short years the dems will outlaw any woodboiler altogether

i checked. i'm all good. if i get 6 months out of it that will pay for 1 year worth of propane for 1 house. both houses & dhw, plus the two shops we blow roughly $8000 a year....if i buy the spray foam, cost of tank, cost of sheet steel, i already have the logstor and pumps, eletronics etc, i'll have roughly $1200 into it....and it'sgonna be plenty big to burn stuff big enough to load with the FEL, let alone splitting cut down dramatically, time/gas factor...

eventually i'm gona copying CB's gasifiers and bolt on a 2nd heat to water exchanger at the chimeny ,and have several foot of chimeny in water jacket, while being pushed with a forced draft. Have the EPA running an emissions check, if it passes, why wold they have me replace it? i think that sounds fair.

but either way, my propane costs, and costs to build this, in very short time it can pay for itself. every penny counts.

Last edited:
cut her open today.

it's 1/2" thick.

and didn't cut it wide enough...damnit,at least it's on the outside for easy repairs, i'd be REALLY pissed if i goofed on the firebox somehow... guess i'll cut another 5" tomarrow...after i thaw my toes

anyways, that's the stainless, it's 3" not 4" but has 4" reducers ....
that's the bottom with the fan octopus thingy, and near the top one has more pipe in on the other 1/3 lenght of the tank.

it's pretty clean inside. found a tag on it today that said water softener. so it's good shape for whati t's been through. maybe it started as 3/4" and rusted down to 1/2".... who knows, it's plenty thick to hold water...it's quite heavy, i tried picking it up with the FEL, dead end, just squeeled the releif on the main arms, so i tried rolling it with the bucket cylinders, same result, just blows the releif, so i tried poking and jamming the forks under it and trying to pry it to turn, bad idea, i had problems trying to PULL the forks out from under it with no load on the loader arms with both tires full of chloride and a 55gallon barrel of cement on the 3pt hitch. ....., after digging holes in the driveway, probably 3 gallons of gas, 10 minutes, and a beer later, i managed...

got an email from tigerfoam, and said i hsould use their e84 fire rpoof stuff.
$610 sprays 600 sq ft 1" thick. shipping was almost $130, but said their automated stuff estimates it high, comes out of nj, damn, i could fire up my aspire 5 speed and drive there and back on 2 tanks for $40!!! and score some scenery...

i need warm temps, (tank i spray and tanks the spray comes out of) to insulate it, so, i think i'm gonna dump the 6 sheets of 3/8" on the cc and get to town on the project. should have everything completed within the next 3-4 months, by then it'll be warmer.

anyways here's a pic

Cutting ???

What type of rig are you cutting the tank with?

Did you say the whole tank is SS or just the octopus spray tree shown in your picture?

What do you suggest that he does? He is making it on his own to save money! He has checked all the laws and is ok. I love it when people take self-inititive to go on there own and conquer something like this. I give him an "A" for this! Steve

What type of rig are you cutting the tank with?

Did you say the whole tank is SS or just the octopus spray tree shown in your picture?

no no no no, if it was all stainless, i'd have other plans up my sleeve then butchering it iup for an OWB

just a plain jane victor torch..
using propane too, not the hottest, but it cuts, and it's super cheap.

Where so you live in Oldwaygo county? On 120th st? Theres a guy that has lots of "projects" like that in his yard all the time. I often wonder WTH he is building next.

I am west of Grant.

Are you spraying your foam yourself? Kurt with K-Van construction and "Get Foamed" does a lot with the spray foam.

Where so you live in Oldwaygo county? On 120th st? Theres a guy that has lots of "projects" like that in his yard all the time. I often wonder WTH he is building next.

I am west of Grant.

Are you spraying your foam yourself? Kurt with K-Van construction and "Get Foamed" does a lot with the spray foam.

acutally i live in grand rapids, i do the work up here over on 104th

kvan contruction? i suppose i could give him a call and get a quote

thanks.

I would say scrap the water in the door idea. Use a series of layered heat sheilds like CB does. The hoses going into the door provide an achilles heel that could lead to a catestrophic leak and/or loss of water that could damage your OWB. Good luck with this project.

I would say scrap the water in the door idea. Use a series of layered heat sheilds like CB does. The hoses going into the door provide an achilles heel that could lead to a catestrophic leak and/or loss of water that could damage your OWB. Good luck with this project.

braided stainless is failsafe. i think that would be a good choice.

how many OWB uses that on their doors?

Last edited:
Back