OWB #2 - aka Goliath

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like quite a project!

Can't help but notice you mention efficiency a couple of time related to square foot heat exchange areas....

.....are you doing any research on increasing combustion efficiency?......or just building another 'smokeshack'.......of the type that is falling under more deserved scrutiny these days?

A good OWB these days is much more than quality materials and workmanship. Low emission high efficiency design is just as important!

my current owb, when the controller needs more water jacket temp, opens teh draft, and fires up the draft fan, and it burns perfectly clean, zero smoke. Is that efficient? I think it is, just all the heat shoots out the stack.

this next project, what would be the difference if the draft fan burned the fire hard enough to produce nearly zero smoke? efficient?

I'll have a problem of heat going out the stack.

CB has water tubes inside the stack. How would that be any different then me making an 'addon' that is basically chimney surrounded by water to catch the heat before it rolls out the stack, while once again burning the fire hard enough to produce zero smoke, burning the gasses.

I may be wrong, but, i think the concept is the same.

i know for $5000 i can build a unit to heat 3x what CB's unit sells for $20,000.

Central Boiler now has more efficient units on the market.
http://www.centralboiler.com/e-classic.html

It looks like you are building yours based on 20 year or older old designs. It's 2010 good buddy!

my new design is based on the eclassic, buddy. water tubes inside the stack to catch gasses. i don't have pictures of the stack yet.

There's a critic in every crowd.

Builder keep up the good work.

I was thinking about the chimney thing the other day... My father in law might want me to build him a OWB. Was wondering how multiple smaller tubes spaced out going through the water jacket would do like maybe 2" diameter maybe 4 or 5 of them. Or I was thinking you could make chimney out of lots of angle iron welded together to form a pointy circle if that makes sense... that would increase your surface area... cutting the hole for it would be kinda difficult though. Good luck with the build

http://www.wdheat.com/Gasification E3300.htm

litterly anything would work, only ##### part is to make sure you have a way to clean out the soot, as even for how clean LP or NG burns, you still get carbon buildup.

as with any gasser, the objective is to have a fan force air to get it hot enough to burn the smoke, and extract the intense heat before it floats out the chimney.
if you took a plain jain CB5036 or whatever, and make an 'addon' with a chimney route and cleanout like the sequoyah's, then the same objective is satisified.

their video clams 2000F temps extracted enough so exiting temps are in the 300F range. not sure hwo trtue it holds, but if you did enough fabbing, you'd end up with the same results.

i have the problem of my OWB blowing the heat out the stack, burns so clean all you see is heat waves waffing out the top, just need a way to get that heat into the water....

so im'[ gona build a bigger one, a 10"x14" door is just too tiny, and only 12cubic ft of area for fb, very tiny for my heat demand, it heats it easily, but very frequent filling. once a day in the summer, sometimes 5x a day when it's zero out; and in the process make it so i can catch some more of those BTU's floating from the coals on the way out...

in my first post of my cardboard model, if you see the circles, that's where' i'm gonig to add 3" pipe so it'll soak heat from the coals when ideling, but i think i'm going to add even more 3" pipe behind the water baffle, since i'm unable to stack wood there, and hot gas floats out, may as well catch some more heat.....

There's a critic in every crowd.

Builder keep up the good work.

thanks., i plan on it. just earned my 3 weeks paid vacation wensday, been with the compnay for 7 years (they even faxed a letter to the office so i could pick it up, too cheap to put on a stamp and mail it! :angry:)

plan on burning a 1/2 week and haul in some car bodies, and ~30000# of tin. should be enough to cover some building expenses....

thanks., i plan on it. just earned my 3 weeks paid vacation wensday, been with the compnay for 7 years (they even faxed a letter to the office so i could pick it up, too cheap to put on a stamp and mail it! :angry:)

plan on burning a 1/2 week and haul in some car bodies, and ~30000# of tin. should be enough to cover some building expenses....

Glad to hear you have a plan B to keep rollin along on the OWB.

My Hawken has 3 pieces of what looks like 3x5 rect. tubing in the top of the fire box. Also has a steel plate to direct more of the heat towards the tubing instead of out the chimney.

I have thought about hooking up some tubing inside the boiler along the top with holes drilled into it and running a small forced air fan. Problem is my boiler is under warranty and i'm sure they'd frown on that. I still get the same problem you describe, heat waves coming out the chimney.

Glad to hear you have a plan B to keep rollin along on the OWB.

My Hawken has 3 pieces of what looks like 3x5 rect. tubing in the top of the fire box. Also has a steel plate to direct more of the heat towards the tubing instead of out the chimney.

I have thought about hooking up some tubing inside the boiler along the top with holes drilled into it and running a small forced air fan. Problem is my boiler is under warranty and i'm sure they'd frown on that. I still get the same problem you describe, heat waves coming out the chimney.

i used some plenum tape and choked the draft opening to 1/4 open so it just fluffs the coals.
helps alot, you'd have to experiment to find a happy medium. it helped my wood consumption quite a bit.
just enough air to burn hot, but not so it blows hard enough to push the heat out too fast before it's absorbed.

i used some plenum tape and choked the draft opening to 1/4 open so it just fluffs the coals.
helps alot, you'd have to experiment to find a happy medium. it helped my wood consumption quite a bit.
just enough air to burn hot, but not so it blows hard enough to push the heat out too fast before it's absorbed.

I'm thinking in the near future i'm going to use a ceiling fan dimmer for my blower. I just haven't had the time (nor ambition) to go outside and wire it in.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but in my short experience (1st year with OWB) my fan seems to blow too hard on the wood and i'm just not getting the tall flames like i would with natural draft. Seems like tall flames are what we should be after.

I'm thinking in the near future i'm going to use a ceiling fan dimmer for my blower. I just haven't had the time (nor ambition) to go outside and wire it in.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but in my short experience (1st year with OWB) my fan seems to blow too hard on the wood and i'm just not getting the tall flames like i would with natural draft. Seems like tall flames are what we should be after.

i'd call that bad practice. eletric motors cool the brushes by speed. low voltage is a nono.

it'd be smarter to have the brushes kept up to speed but just limit air flow...

I keep changing my mind worse then a woman. Using 4 1/2" pipe all across top X 8. Same on sides going upright. 8 on each side. Adding a pair 14" pipe across the back for a CB heat baffel copy. 400 gallons of water, almost 900sqft of heat transfer area. Oh, and a door 5ft diameter for those ugly stumps.

Sent from my HTC EVO -- its been unrEVOked.... - AmonRA custom recovery - Tiamat AOSP kernel - CyanogenMOD AOSP ROM - Posted via TapaTalkApp

Last edited:
My Hawken
Problem is my boiler is under warranty and i'm sure they'd frown on that.

:dizzy:

I just realized this is a way old thread BUT Hawken and warranty go together like oil and water :biggrin:

Keep up the good work builder!

It is an old thread. I've been so busy with other projects all I've done with this other stove was cut some holes .... and this tapatalk app didn't post the picture ....need to figure that out.

Sent from my HTC EVO -- its been unrEVOked.... - AmonRA custom recovery - Tiamat AOSP kernel - CyanogenMOD AOSP ROM - Posted via TapaTalkApp

Last edited:
:dizzy:

I just realized this is a way old thread BUT Hawken and warranty go together like oil and water :biggrin:

Keep up the good work builder!

Yeah, I've read all about it..... lol.

Thankfully mine has been trouble free

A little off subject but do you know anyone in MI that ports stihls?

Back