OWB: A kiln of sorts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1m

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We decided to get our gasifier OWB and the wood for it too late this year. The consequence? I'm burning wood that contains about 30% (some of it is even higher) moisture content. I know that's way less than ideal, but it's our reality - no way around it.

I got to thinking: During the times that the OWB is dormant, the coals are still hot but there's really no fire to speak of. I still see a little smoke/steam coming out the stack when the fan is not engaged. Do you think the coals are giving the kiln effect during periods of dormancy - thus drying the wood for times when the fan is running? Additional evidence of this is the build up of creosote on inside door of my furnace as well as a little moisture leaking from the exhaust pipe joints.

Burning green wood isn't part of my long term strategy, just wondered what some of you think about my theory?

I think you are right. Sometimes I burn more green wood than I should, and on warmer days when the furnace just sits there and smolders, the wood does dry out quite a bit. It will sit there and smoke just a little like you are saying also.

Fairly new to the whole OWB system but in my experience in the past with wood is exactly what you are saying. The green wood you are forced to burn definitely dries while it sits inside the closed OWB or any furnace for that matter. Think about the stack of wood inside the house by your furnace vs. the stack you have outside. The stuff inside dries quicker because of the environment it is sitting in. Like I said ...new to the OWB but I think you have an excellent point. Burning green wood...although not the best will work in a pinch.

Much more of your wood will get burned up before the OWB gets up to temp and shuts down when burning wet wood. I find even with dry wood
there is usually a wisp of smoke coming from the stack when it shuts down.

I burn the odd ends/crotches that are a pain to stack right away. If you throw one of these pieces in with dry wood they "season" rapidly. The piece of green wood can be laying on the opposite side of where the burning is taking place. Come back a few hours later that green piece is bone dry even if it hasn't started to burn yet.

I've noticed the same thing with mine. I try to burn seasoned wood but sometimes I have no choice and have to burn it green. The burn times are longer and you use more wood but it is still better than buying oil or propane.

A man's got to do...

I know exactly what you mean. My first year with the OMB I was so busy with the install that I did not have enough seasoned wood to go all winter and was forced to use some green stuff. One of the guys that was in the same shape the year before told me to try to mix some of the seasoned wood with the green and only load the furnace when the blower cut off. It sends steam out the stack and the heat loss is not insignificant but it got me through the first winter.

Latest posts

Back