OWB hookup help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAwoodchopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market for an OWB right now and I am looking for some advise on hooking it up.... We have only electric baseboard heat in the house and I want to go with an OWB with hot water baseboard heat.... I would also like to heat the domestic hot water which is an electric tank right now... The problem is after I run the OWB hot water to the water tank heat exchanger I will need 3 different zones for the house baseboard heaters..... How would I go about doing this ???? I cannot find any type of info for this type of setup... Thanks for you help.........................

You should be able to run a loop from the woodboiler into the house with the circulater pump outside running 24/7. Off of that loop you would have a supply and return manifold the manifolds will have as many take offs as zones each zone having its own circulater pump with internal check valves (very important) each controlled by a taco control box. And I would use an indirect fired water heater has is own thermostat built right in and very well insulated. I do not believe you would need a heat exchanger you should be able to run the boiler water through the loop. Mounting baseboards and running the heat loop is very easy maybe 2 nights love pex. If you set it up like this you will not need o2 barrier pex I believe that central boiler is not a closed system if it is not really a huge deal you would just need some other components. If you need the formula to calculate base board let me know and I will get it it slips my mind this second. This is really not hard at all.

Thanks alot GuardDog...... If you do not mind I could use the formula for the baseboards....... Would you happen to know what model # of Taco pump would be used for the zones???

You should be able to run a loop from the woodboiler into the house with the circulater pump outside running 24/7. Off of that loop you would have a supply and return manifold the manifolds will have as many take offs as zones each zone having its own circulater pump with internal check valves (very important) each controlled by a taco control box. And I would use an indirect fired water heater has is own thermostat built right in and very well insulated. I do not believe you would need a heat exchanger you should be able to run the boiler water through the loop. Mounting baseboards and running the heat loop is very easy maybe 2 nights love pex. If you set it up like this you will not need o2 barrier pex I believe that central boiler is not a closed system if it is not really a huge deal you would just need some other components. If you need the formula to calculate base board let me know and I will get it it slips my mind this second. This is really not hard at all.

Ok this will get you very close for baseboard foot per room use 45 for decent windows and insulation use 50 for poor. First off 1foot of 3/4 fintube =580btu
so take the sq ft of each room multiply it by 45 then divide by 580.
So a 12x12 room 144x45=6480 6480/580=11.17 so that room would need 11 feet of baseboard. The circulators I use are taco 007s with IFC. Any other questions feel free to ask I will help in any way I can. Keep sawing and stay warn.

Latest posts

Back