OWB Owners, what's your set point?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 2 day warm up here so I set it back to 175F, where it will stay until the cold stuff comes in. Interesting differences in how we all use setpoints vs. weather.

Last edited:
If I am burning good seasoned hardwood my stove will come close to boiling over if my upper setpoint is near 190. I just moved mine up to 185 today, up until then I kept it at 165-170.

Kyle

I upgraded to a 2 stage Ranco controller on my Hardy, right now it is set to keep the water between 145 and 160 by doing the following:

Damper opens if the temp gets below 155, closes at 160.
If the damper can't keep up the fan comes on a 145 and turns of at 155 and the damper stays open until 160.

Seems to save on wood by not running the fan unless you really need it. I have a data logger on the computer that records the temperature data and it makes a nice sine wave type curve. When I get home I can take a quick look at it and can see how hard the stove is working. If it gets really cold and I see that the stove is keeping the damper open most of the time I raise the cutoff to 170 to give me a little more heat.

And as Mtfallsmikey said, it helps to have an oversized water to air HX in the ductwork to use the lower temperature water.

Huh? Why haven't I heard of this? That blew my mind. Does your Hardy dealer have this or is this a hardware item? Please...give me more info. WCA

The Ranco is an aftermarket controller, see www.rancoetc.com for more info.

I set it up to allow the damper to open without having the fan come on unless needed.

I will see if I can upload a screen shot of my temperature graph for the past few hours.

I'm running my new 5036 at 165 for right now. It's not too terrible cold out yet, but it is gonna be in the 20's and 30's now for a few days anyway. I was thinkin about turning it up when it gets real cold, but as of right now it's hot enough for my needs, and I think the lower setpoint saves a bit of wood in the long run.

Right now: 160/150...will move it up to 180/170 when it gets good and cold out...never run it higher than that.
Makes a good case for oversizing your HX's....size it to carry your heat loads at 140 deg. or so.

I was at 155/165 until today. The temps will go down to 18 above tonight and 30 during the day. I just went up to 160/170 because we have an old farm house and I'm still new to this OWB. I'm sure the 155/165 would be ok.

I took the advice from mtfallsmikey and went with the oversized HX's so 140 would heat my house all day long by burning my brush and the scraps from my log splitter.

Thanks mtfallsmikey because of you, msguns and a few of the others I'm heating my home for free.

Was at 140 on 150 off..Going to get a little colder over the weekend, so i'm gonna try 150 and 160.

The Ranco is an aftermarket controller, see www.rancoetc.com for more info.

I set it up to allow the damper to open without having the fan come on unless needed.

I will see if I can upload a screen shot of my temperature graph for the past few hours.

Andy,

Have you posted how you wired up your DAQ for data logging?

I'm halfway through setting this up with a DAQ-148U and would be interested in comparing ideas.

Wow! There are a lot of folks running at lower temps than I thought. I loaded the OWB last night and woke to 60F outside this AM. This morning I opened the door, raked a little, and closed it. I love it when you can get 20-24 hr burn times with small amounts of wood. I may experiment in the Spring with 170F for a setpoint. So far 175F is the lowest I've used. Thanks for your input folks.

Last edited:
Right know on at 140 of 150. Since this is my first full season with OWB I will have to see what temps will work. Plan on running at lowest temp possible that will heat house an DHW. Some say you will burn less wood at lower temps. Hasn't been real cold here yet low 30's so far. Suppose to get colder this weekend.

I'm with scooter, I have been running my CB at 175-185. I didn't think I was going through all that much wood but we have had mild temps so far this year in the big Buckeye. I wonder if it is because my 6048 is plenty big for only heating my house and DHW? I wanted to oversize based on what I read here and the fact that I want to build a shop in the future that will hooked into it. I think I will try some different temps in the spring but for now, if ain't broke......

Most of the time on at 150 off at 160. When it gets colder, like highs in the 20's, I will raise it to 160-170. I have never seen any advantage to go any higher though I have tried it.

Right now my CB6048 is set at 165/175. It has been working good this fall at these settings. I will see this weekend with the colder temps if I need to raise it. Last winter I kept it at factory settings at 175/185.

On 160 and off 170. Second year with our WM 3300 and never changed the factory settings. Have noticed this year I'm burning more seasoned wood (hard Maple, Red/White Oak and Ash). After the high point is reached the temp. still gains alittle. Usually no higher than 175.

Below is a screen shot from my data logging software, the graph reflects the stove loaded with beetle eaten pine, outside temps during the day of mid 50's and 30's at night.

attachment.php

Future enhancements include outside air temperature and stack temperature.

So as not to hi jack this thread I will start a "OWB Data Logging" Thread.

CB5036
This is my first year with mine. I had mine set at 170 this fall hearing from people on this site that it saves a little bit of wood. I figured last night was the time to crank it up to 185 (factory setting) since it got down to 10 F last night and doesn't look like it's going to warm up any time soon. (That's ok with me cause it makes some good ice on the lakes...and I'm not paying a gas/electric bill for heat & DHW for the first time ever!) When I initally turned it up I had a good fire a roaring in there! :blob2: I love it!

5036....was running 170 or more but seeing how low guys on here are running I lowered to 160 the other day and it does seem to eat less wood, noticably less and heats house and shop no problem.

Latest posts

Back