Owb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's hard to get a good estimate but how much wood are we talking....I cut approx 8 to ten cords a year ( mostly cherry ) would I be cutting a lot more for an owb?

I can't say how much more but no doubt it will be a fair amount more.

BUT.... The offset to this is the fact that you don't need to cut as small or split as much. Pretty much if you can lift it and it will squeeze through the door it'll burn just fine. The only splitting you need to do is up to you. "how much do you want to lift?"

You'll hear MANY times about OWB's being wood hogs and it's true. I'd venture a guess though that I can cut a weeks worth of wood in the same amount of time a guy can for a wood burner simply due to not having to process as small.

BTW. I go through about 12-13 cord a year with my OWB.

I know it's hard to get a good estimate but how much wood are we talking....I cut approx 8 to ten cords a year ( mostly cherry ) would I be cutting a lot more for an owb?

That sounds like a lot of wood. Older farm house? But the short answer is, yes, you'll use more wood. Maybe half again, maybe double. Consider an indoor boiler? Or maybe a wood furnace?

What exactly is your issue(s) with your current setup?

I considered a boiler for radiant heat under my floors, didn't go that route due to cost of retrofitting everything needed. I already had duct for forced air (original furnace was coal converted to oil) I went with forced air wood furnace with oil backup, love it! The floors were always cold with the oil heat, now, the radiant from the firebox keeps the basement warm and the long lasting even heat of a wood fire warms the walls and floors. I'm glad I didn't go to the expense of boiler install. My install will pay for itself this winter...

That sounds like a lot of wood. Older farm house? But the short answer is, yes, you'll use more wood. Maybe half again, maybe double. Consider an indoor boiler? Or maybe a wood furnace?

If you are looking at a modern Boiler they would be much more efficient than a Stove, they burn at much higher temperatures.

What exactly is your issue(s) with your current setup?

I considered a boiler for radiant heat under my floors, didn't go that route due to cost of retrofitting everything needed. I already had duct for forced air (original furnace was coal converted to oil) I went with forced air wood furnace with oil backup, love it! The floors were always cold with the oil heat, now, the radiant from the firebox keeps the basement warm and the long lasting even heat of a wood fire warms the walls and floors. I'm glad I didn't go to the expense of boiler install. My install will pay for itself this winter...

The issues I have with it are

1. It heats the 1st floor ok but really seem to have to work to do it.

2. The burn times on a load are kinnda short like maybe 4 hrs if I turn it down a good bit.

3. With such short burn times it's hard to stay consistent as far as using the wb instead of my propane. If we go anywhere I am sure to come home to a 65 deg house (where my thermostat is set)

Don't get me wrong this insert has deff saved me money in propane. We used to fill up with 400 gals 3 times a year. So far we are still on the same tank since march so it has been worth the money. I guess I just want more heat with less bother.

My buddy just got a forced air wood furnace from tractor supply recently, he really likes it. his house is about the same size as mine...I would go that route but I don't really have anywhere to put one in my garage ( not to mention my reloading station is in there ). This is kinnda the reason I have been considering an owb.

Like I have said before I'm looking to just buy a unit. I have noticed many ppls pics of their setups with extra tanks and pumps is this all nesecery or would get everything in the unit itself if I was to buy one from say central boiler?

I've burnt a little over 6 chords already, and I'll still be burning at least "low" fires till the end of April more than likely. Like Uncle John mentioned earlier, Indiana can see some brutally cold temps and we've just recently started seeing them. My old house still has a couple rooms for me to re-model before I can call it decently insulated, about 1100 sq.ft. and I keep it at least 72 thru-out the whole house all winter.
Just under 7 grand for the whole ball of wax back in '07 and I did the install.(me and my pal, who's a union equipment operator, he ran the back hoe I rented).
Do your home work, look into all of your options.
I could of installed an add on furnace for far less money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if'n the lil' woman would of let me!!,,,and still heated my house comfortably with far less wood.,,I think!

The issues I have with it are

1. It heats the 1st floor ok but really seem to have to work to do it.

2. The burn times on a load are kinnda short like maybe 4 hrs if I turn it down a good bit.

3. With such short burn times it's hard to stay consistent as far as using the wb instead of my propane. If we go anywhere I am sure to come home to a 65 deg house (where my thermostat is set)

Don't get me wrong this insert has deff saved me money in propane. We used to fill up with 400 gals 3 times a year. So far we are still on the same tank since march so it has been worth the money. I guess I just want more heat with less bother.

My buddy just got a forced air wood furnace from tractor supply recently, he really likes it. his house is about the same size as mine...I would go that route but I don't really have anywhere to put one in my garage ( not to mention my reloading station is in there ). This is kinnda the reason I have been considering an owb.

Like I have said before I'm looking to just buy a unit. I have noticed many ppls pics of their setups with extra tanks and pumps is this all nesecery or would get everything in the unit itself if I was to buy one from say central boiler?

I take it you cook with Propane?

And the Propane system that provides heat is forced air?

What is your budget?

I take it you cook with Propane?

And the Propane system that provides heat is forced air?

What is your budget?

I cook with electric. My propane is forced air, as far budget I am willing to pay what I need to in order to get it done correctly. My propane bill in the winter without burning wood is approx 3000.00 per winter, so even if my projected cost of around 11 grand is correct it should pay for itself in a few years

I cook with electric. My propane is forced air, as far budget I am willing to pay what I need to in order to get it done correctly. My propane bill in the winter without burning wood is approx 3000.00 per winter, so even if my projected cost of around 11 grand is correct it should pay for itself in a few years

400 gallons is about $500 on my last fillup and you said that you last filled up 9 months ago?

I am just wondering the economics.

$3000 is about 2,500 gallons which seems a lot for a small house.

It was -10 last night and our wood stove was fine, we have electric back up in the house. Same size as yours.

400 gallons is about $500 on my last fillup and you said that you last filled up 9 months ago?

I am just wondering the economics.

$3000 is about 2,500 gallons which seems a lot for a small house.

It was -10 last night and our wood stove was fine, we have electric back up in the house. Same size as yours.

The 3000 is before I started burning wood in my insert. Also I have never been able to get propane that cheap, the cheapest I've ever gotten it was 2.40 something a gal. Up to 4.35 a gal.

The 3000 is before I started burning wood in my insert. Also I have never been able to get propane that cheap, the cheapest I've ever gotten it was 2.40 something a gal. Up to 4.35 a gal.

Ouch!

At that price Electricity would be cheaper, I think rate is 11c a KWH where I am.

But you have the insert, do you intend abandoning it?

My first thought would be to reduce the thermostat for when you are not there, that is free.

Second would be to review the envelope, do you have adequate insulation in the ceilings, walls, windows well that tends to be not cost effective unless there is another reason to replace them.

I presume NG is not where you are and is not likely to come in the near future.

So then the question is how wedded you are to a Boiler system, it is going to be very difficult to make a financial case for it.

Ouch!

At that price Electricity would be cheaper, I think rate is 11c a KWH where I am.

But you have the insert, do you intend abandoning it?

My first thought would be to reduce the thermostat for when you are not there, that is free.

Second would be to review the envelope, do you have adequate insulation in the ceilings, walls, windows well that tends to be not cost effective unless there is another reason to replace them.

I presume NG is not where you are and is not likely to come in the near future.

So then the question is how wedded you are to a Boiler system, it is going to be very difficult to make a financial case for it.

I don't plan on abandoning my insert. I'm assuming the walls have fairly good insulation and I know the attic does the home was built in 2002 so everything is still fairly new. Ng prob isn't going to be here any time soon at all...luckily I am young and enjoy cutting wood. I also have 177 acres to cut on.

As far as how set I am on an owb, I'd consider other options if they would work out but havnt found any yet. I looked at indoor forced air wood furnace but don't have a lot of room to put it in, plus I'd have to punch a hole in my brick and run triple wall pipe all the way up the back of my house, it's about a 35 ft run and I can't imagine it looking nice.

I don't plan on abandoning my insert. I'm assuming the walls have fairly good insulation and I know the attic does the home was built in 2002 so everything is still fairly new. Ng prob isn't going to be here any time soon at all...luckily I am young and enjoy cutting wood. I also have 177 acres to cut on.

As far as how set I am on an owb, I'd consider other options if they would work out but havnt found any yet. I looked at indoor forced air wood furnace but don't have a lot of room to put it in, plus I'd have to punch a hole in my brick and run triple wall pipe all the way up the back of my house, it's about a 35 ft run and I can't imagine it looking nice.

I would look at insulation/infiltration first, biggest bang for the buck.

Numbers

Let us say with the insert you will burn 400 gallons a year.

That is about 32m btus.

Say your furnace is 90% efficient that is 28m btu.

If you had a high efficiency boiler that is 2 cords a year. Of Pine, if you have decent Hardwood, a lot less.

In OWB terms that is nothing.

So if you are looking at a Boiler you would be looking at a small Gasser and lots of storage.

Back