OWB Spring Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With just a couple months left for the burning season around here, my thoughts have turned to spring cleaning. In the past when i shut down the boiler for the year, I checked the water condition, cleaned out all the ash, knocked most of the loose creosote from inside the fire box and chimney, and called it good. The tar like substance on the walls is said to work to preserve the steel. Anybody ever attempt to remove it to allow for a visual inspection of the firebox..?

Hell no! If'n it ain't broke don't fix it I think applies. I do the exact thing you do and leave the fudge on there, scrapin that off to see would be like cuttin the water jacket apart to see if it's rustin from the inside.

You that bored? ....just checkin :D

I do the exact same thing. The black gunk is protecting the steel from rusting. If you take that off you would be opening up the surface to rust. If you don't have a spark arrestor on the chimney cap I would put a bucket over the top. I have also coated the bottom surface of the firebox, where the ash sits with used motor oil.

Kyle

I have a Hardy...stainless...and I was told to do nothing to it. Don't drain the water, don't scrape the walls...just let it set.

I filled my Hardy with pond water as my well water had too high a salinity content. The Hardy tech said if I filled it with pond water, that is, water with low salt levels, that I just leave the water alone and go play baseball for the summer.

Last edited:
I run mine year round. heating an above ground pool, showers, laundry, dishwasher is enough reason too keep it going. change the water once a year and keep the ash somewhat cleaned out. and add water treatment . anyone know what the chemical is and if we can get it at a local retailer?

I have scraped the tar off the firebox walls before, won't do it again (ugh). There is nothing like putting your 6'4" 250lb frame completely inside the nasty firebox of a 5036!

Disconnect your heat exchangers (they have bypass valves on them right ?) and ensure that there is no lime/scale buildup.

After I scrape out all the ash and loose creosote, I drag out the air compressor and spray the inside of the fire box and ash pan with used motor oil.

I also use an old paint brush and really slop it into the corners and such.

After I scrape out all the ash and loose creosote, I drag out the air compressor and spray the inside of the fire box and ash pan with used motor oil.

I also use an old paint brush and really slop it into the corners and such.

Exactly what I do except I use a garden sprayer and thin the used oil with #2 diesel.

why used motor oil?

Why use used motor oil? I understand that it is cheap, but do you realize that it is often acidic as a result of combustion by-products? Repairs on the firebox of an OWB are not cheap, and for what I paid for the 5036 I can't imagine cutting corners on the oil.

You can get ultra-cheap oil at Wally World to coat the firebox, why bother with the used stuff?

If your concern is environmental then take it to the local dump, most counties collect oil for recycling.

I run mine year round. heating an above ground pool, showers, laundry, dishwasher is enough reason too keep it going. change the water once a year and keep the ash somewhat cleaned out. and add water treatment . anyone know what the chemical is and if we can get it at a local retailer?

What brand of OWB?

All i have done is at the end of the season, stuff her full of cardboard on a rainy day and let her burn. Cleans her up pretty well and then cap the top with a bucket. First year I climbed in and scraped, but would never do it again!!!

I have just cleaned the ash and let the Hardy H4 sit 'til Fall. I have been wondering, does anyone else remove the pumps to "clean" them. I seem to recall my installer saying something about a restrictor plate below the pumps? Anybody know?:confused:

Latest posts

Back