OWB Temp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhizando

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but read this section about every day.

Anyways I have a Woodmaster 4400 and was wondering what kind of max temps you guys see on your OWB.

Just the other day I went out and saw the temp on my boiler water had reached 204 degrees. I have my setting for the boiler set at 160-170. I believe the wind plus the fact that all my zones including my hot water tank were not calling for heat had something to do with it.

Now I'm not worried about the boiler, but I am worried about the pex tubing. I think its only rated for 180 degrees.

Anyone else see there temps rise this high?

That seems high to me I could be wrong! when you open door is their fire or alot of coals burning? Mine (Royal) was around 200 one time last year.Blower was off but their was a small fire still going (air leak)I replaced door seal and it fixed the problem.

I am on my third year with my Woodmaster 4400. I have never had a temperature that high for any reason. I have burned some Kiln Dried Oak flooring and that was the hottest fire I have every had and it shot past the blower off temperature to 175 or so.....but never as high as 204.

I think you have a leak in the door gasket or the damper is not closing properly. When the blower turns off there is a metal damper that closes inside the door to limit the amount of air - and yours may not be working properly. Without an air supply, the furnace should not overshoot the shut off temperature by very much regardless of the demand of the heating system.

I will have to check when I get home, is there anyway to see that its stuck open from looking underneath the door? The seal on the door looks pretty good, although I did notice that once in a while a bit of smoke will come out from hole where the damper lever enters the box.

I never had a problem during the winter, I just thought it might have been a combination of just the right wind speed and direction making its way in through the chimney along with the 40-50 degree outside temps during the day.

Thanks for your help.

happened to me once too. somehow the damper door got stuck. i slammed the door shut and it closed. i'm not sure how long it was like that, but mine was actually boiling when i found it. My pex lines were drooping pretty bad, but they never leaked. you should be fine.

I just got done installing a wood boiler I built myself. I had air leaking through the damper door due to my assumption that when I built it "it was good enough".

I was wrong. I had mine up to 194 F when the ambient temp was about 65F. Point is, I took the door of and did some welding around the damper door frame and planed the surface that the damper door closes on and my temp has not been over the set temp since that time. Leads me to believe that when they are running right they should not get more than a few degrees over the set temp.

Start looking for air leaks.

I have my 4400 set for 160 and the highest temp i have seen is 182.
My door gasket needs replacing. I see smoke leaking from the bottom
left corner when the draft fan is on.

I think I am going to take apart the door tomorrow after work and try and see if something is jammed. Where is the damper located? I tried looking quickly tonight with a flash light underneath the door from the outside and the inside and was unable to see any movable parts. I guess I have to take the piece off the door to see it?

Also, I am assuming the damper should open and close by pressing the fan button on the side of the boiler.

Thanks for your help guys.

I had that problem when i first got my 4400, a couple of times it got up around 200 - 210 and was boiling over, i found out the solenoid that opens the flapper on the fan was sticking and the flapper was not dropping down, i sprayed some lube up in the sides of it and havnt had any other issues with it. that was 4 years ago.

Well I found the problem. I opened up the front door panel and the little flap was hanging. It looks like it ripped right where its screwed down. Just a heads up for anyone who has the woodmaster 4400. Not sure if it was too tight from the factory or what happened. At least I know why the boiler was over heating. Thanks for everyones help.

Well.....I believe that after 3 years it is time for me to take the panel off and lube the joints and hinge on mine. It occassionally makes a humming noise while it is operating, and he humming noise goes away if I shut the switch off and then turn it back on. Maybe my damper sticks occasionally.

Don't have a temp gauge on my Hardy but I know it got hot last night. I opened the door to see if it would restart on it's own while I was splitting some wood nearby. I forgot the door was open. About 20 min later I looked over and steam was pouring out. It blew the overflow pipe off the top. Shut the door and it cooled off pretty quick

Well I found the problem. I opened up the front door panel and the little flap was hanging. It looks like it ripped right where its screwed down. Just a heads up for anyone who has the woodmaster 4400. Not sure if it was too tight from the factory or what happened. At least I know why the boiler was over heating. Thanks for everyones help.

Good to hear:clap:

:cheers:

Back