Owb temp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering what temp range you are running your owb.. I have a stainless Empyre about 100 from my house, it is set to stay between 160 and 173.. didnt know if that was close to what everyone else is running or not.. thanks!

High setpoint on my Central Boiler 6048 is 190*. Damper shuts at 190* and water normally hits about 194* max before it dips back to 180* and damper opens back up.

For us, it depends on the outside temperature. When it is really cold, we run it at 185 to 195. When it warms up a little, we set it to 170 to 180. In the summer months, 160 to 170.

Warmer temps (high 40's and up) if it's gonna stay there for awhile, I'll turn it down to 150. Other than that, I leave it at 170.

Only reason I turn it down when it's warm out is to make it easier to avoid over boiling. Plus there just in't much reason to keep the water that hot.

Plus there just in't much reason to keep the water that hot.

If you have a steel firebox and have temp set that low then return temps could be well below 140. You could possibly be condensing moisture in the firebox which will lead to premature failure if so. Stainless boilers don't have to worry about it as much but stainless will still rust out if it condenses long enough.

Regardless I run my homemade boiler at 174-178.

on 160-off 170 Is where mine stays all the time except once or twice a season I run it up a ways long enough to clean the firebox up, couple days at most.

Mine burns a bit less wood if I run it lower say 150-160 but even with 2 year old split wood stored under cover it really goops up fast inside when run that cool.

Warmer temps (high 40's and up) if it's gonna stay there for awhile, I'll turn it down to 150. Other than that, I leave it at 170.

Only reason I turn it down when it's warm out is to make it easier to avoid over boil. Plus there just in't much reason to keep the water that hot.

Yup!, What he said. More or less.

145 all season works good for me burns less wood. Did some reinsulating on my boiler last summer too and now running at that temp I can get 24 hr burns no prob with about half a firebox full (less if its good dry hardwood)

145 all season works good for me burns less wood. Did some reinsulating on my boiler last summer too and now running at that temp I can get 24 hr burns no prob with about half a firebox full (less if its good dry hardwood)

What kind of boiler do you have? You don't have any condensation problems inside the firebox.

What kind of boiler do you have? You don't have any condensation problems inside the firebox.

No condensation problems, its a local built wood boiler from Jim Wymer - Carson City Machine & Tool - 989-235-5050 kinda like a woodmaster boiler, he calls it a frontier 150 (holds 150 gal of water) Nice unit and a good guy to deal with he showed me his whole shop and various stages of building them been running it now for 6 years

Latest posts

Back