OWB v. Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"A good friend once said "you'll never defeat the online dragon"...he was right.
When anyone can plop down in front of their putor and type anything they want...you just can't defend against the ignorance or arogance." Quote from crappiekeith.

Ignorant and arrogant? My thoughts exactly! Your friend has certainly read your posts.

I spent a little time the other day typing that post hoping to drive home my point. Obviously reading and comprehension are not your strong subjects Keith. I won't waste the valuable time of the other member's playing "devil's advocate" any longer. We all know what our individual preferences are (even though, as I have mentioned previously, I still own a wood stove and love it!) and it depends completely on application, intended use, and budget.

Since the label "crybaby" has been thrown out there I'll keep this short and concise to not bore anyone with a long, drawn out post: if it looks like BS, smells like BS, and sticks to my boot like BS, I'll call it out hoping no one else steps in it. And finally, as my father told me years ago: "beware of the individual that is quick to tell you how religious they are, he is simply a salesman establishing trust prior to emptying your wallet as a truely religious person won't have to mention it, you'll already know by their actions."

Hey MtfallsMikey, can you pass the popcorn, I'm spent. :clap: :dizzy:

Last edited:
Priceless! Too funny man,you hit it right on the head,bunch of crybabys posting on this thread. I just about spit out my coffee when I read this post!

Yea, it is a public forum though so opinions will fly. I wrote the post with a smile on my face so I hope no one was offended. Just trying to lighten things up a bit. Maybe there needs to be a ____talking section in the forum like some of the others I'm on so everyone can let it all out. Not for the faint of heart to enter and not for thin skinned people either.:)

Yea, it is a public forum though so opinions will fly. I wrote the post with a smile on my face so I hope no one was offended. Just trying to lighten things up a bit. Maybe there needs to be a ____talking section in the forum like some of the others I'm on so everyone can let it all out. Not for the faint of heart to enter and not for thin skinned people either.:)

Not at all! Sand in my vag makes me irritable! :mad: Sometimes I just need a reminder to keep up with the hygiene so I stay fresh and happy.

OOPS! Well well well! Not sand at all, it's sawdust! How'd that get there? :monkey:

I have a inside basement wood furnace forced air I keep about 2 months worth of stacked wood in the corner of the basement the mess is not that bad and my house does not smell like smoke. I do build start a lot of fires because I let it go out a lot. I don't buy into the hot water argument, keeping a fire going 24/7 all fall, winter, and spring, just so you can say you have free hot water doesn't make sense. Check out a on demand hot water heater they don't cost that much. Seriously how much hot water do you use per day. I have about a 1200 sq ft house and use about 6-7 cords per year and heat with wood only, I also live in NW Wisconsin where we have very cold winters. My vote is for inside wood furnace. I like to sit in the basement and have a beer and watch the fire once in a while, when I have a good fire going I can have the furnace door open and no smoke escapes, next best thing to a fireplace.

i'll be the odd ball here and say i would rather have both.

I used a brunco stove in my old house, until the house burned down ( in the summer, not related to the stove!). when we built the new house, i decided to keep the mess outside and bought a Woodmaster 4400. I love the fact that it heats my water, and the fact that i'm not packing wood in the house is nice, and the consistency of the heat throughout the house is nice.
That being said, i miss my stove. I miss coming in from the cold and warming up next to the fire. not to mention the fact that i could keep the house warm if the power goes out. We lost power last winter for almost a week and i had to run a generator for long stretches to keep the house warm.

Don't get me wrong, i'll never give up my OWB, but i think if i can come up with the cash next summer i'm going to buy a stove for the house.

little side note for ya..... the fire in the old house started in the room next to my stove. i had full intentions of re-building the stove for use in my new house. it was the old school Brunco that weighed a ton and was made right. When they leveled what was left of the house, i had the crew set the stove off to the side with their track-hoe. two days later, before i could rent a lift truck to move it, someone stole it:censored:( don't know how). if i get to buy a stove, i'm going to look for an old one like it, it never let me down.

OK I didn't take all day to read the thousands of previous posts so hope I don't repeat something here. I heat my house from the basement with a stove. Maybe not the most effecient means but it keeps our open floor plan decent and we spend most of our time in the basement in the winter anyhow. But here is the kicker for me...my indoor stove will still heat the house when the electric goes off in an icestorm.
The other reason for me is I don't like the thought of spending 6-10thousand dollars on an OWB and then get hurt and can't physically operate it anymore or cut wood and have to buy it. At that point the saving is gone and/or I've got a very expensive boat anchor in the backyard. Now if an OWB cost similar to regular furnace I would gamble on it but not for 2-3xs the cost. I would say if you can heat your house on 150.00 or less per month then you don't need an OWB. Put a stove in the house, enjoy some warm and save a little money. The worst that can happen is you go back to the wall and turn on the furnace again.

I looked into both the OWB and indoor and decided for a number of reasons to go with the indoor. First and foremost was cost, I already had a very good chimney with an outlet into the basement and easy outside access to bring in wood. So I bought a Clayton at Tractor Supply for $1800 as opposed to the several thousand $'s for an OWB and installation. Efficiency and smoke as mentioned many times here before were also factors.
After 4 years of using the Clayton I could not be happier! I heat 3,000 sq ft with the stove hooked into the duct work and a slow recirc fan on the main furnace and I keep the house at 70 to 75 degrees all winter and very, very rairly use gas. I like going down to the basement and looking at my nice neat stack of well seasoned wood and feeling the wamth of the stove....probably my favorite room in the house.
I have found that burning wood is a science. I have 96 acres here in Western PA and I choose different wood for different times of the year and mix and match during colder times and warmer times. It ahs become a great hobby to perfect my skills and if I were outside I don't think I would have as much fun playing with wood mixtures and air flow to get just the right combo to keep my family so comfy. You know what they say.....happy wife happy life!
Just my thoughts.

Back