OWB with forced air, how many cycles per hour?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psu927

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just installed my OWB and hot water coil in my duct. What should I set my T-stat (Honeywell round heat only t-stat) cycles at?

I just installed my OWB and hot water coil in my duct. What should I set my T-stat (Honeywell round heat only t-stat) cycles at?

I'm not understanding the question. I have an OWB that has a hot water coil in my gas furnace plenum. I wired in a second thermostat to override the main furnace to kick on the fan as I desire to circulate heat when the stat calls for it. I keep secondary t-stat at 68-70 and main controlling furnace at 62.

Are you talking about the heat anticipator setting? The old Honeywells had a manual control and the newer ones may be digital. I got this from one of the online manuals:

Your heating system: Heat anticipator setting
Steam: 1.2
Hot water: heat 0.8
High-efficiency warm air: 0.8
Standard warm air: 0.4
Electric heat: 0.3
NOTE: If the furnace stays on beyond the thermostat set temperature, move the anticipator pointer down by .1 ampere. If the furnace shuts off before the set temperature is reached, move the anticipator pointer up by .1 ampere. Never adjust the anticipator below .3 ampere.

By that I guess I would start at 0.8 amps and adjust as necessary. I don't think there is much else that can be adjusted on those thermostats. I have 2 digital thermostats wired as fixit1960 does.

I'd set it to 12 because that way you get the maximum amount of cycles an hour to better regulate the temp. Of course it will only cycle on if temp drops below set point.

If you are referring to the aqua stat on the owb unit, mine is set at 170 with a 15 degree variance, meaning that once the water temp drops to 155 deg. the blower motor will kick on to raise the water temp back up to 170. You can adjust the variance to suit your preference as well as the water temp. Usually I will set my water temp higher the colder the outside temp is up to 180 degrees being the highest.

Sorry guys. I installed an extra t-stat for my OWB heat and it has 1,3,5, or 7 CPH. I was just curious what you guys set yours at? Its on 3 right now I think. Last night it was in the upper 20s and ran on 9 minutes and off 13 minutes. Forced hot air

Sorry guys. I installed an extra t-stat for my OWB heat and it has 1,3,5, or 7 CPH. I was just curious what you guys set yours at? Its on 3 right now I think. Last night it was in the upper 20s and ran on 9 minutes and off 13 minutes. Forced hot air
so your talking to control the fan on the forced air? If that is what your talking about set it to the highest. My Honeywell goes to 12, but if your highest is 7 than set it there.

will that equate to the least amount of wood burned? I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for wood savings
yes because it will regulate the room temperature. If you put it lower it will turn on less per hour but will take longer to satisfy temp because temp may drop lower. For example if you have it set to 3 it will only turn on the blower once every 20 minutes, so your temp could drop 3 degrees in 20 minutes if it is really cold out. Mine if set to 12 so it turns on every 5 minutes, but only if it needs to satisfy temp, but my temp always stays at 70, never drops below unless I need wood. So mine will usually run for 1-2 minutes and turn off. If I had it set to 3 and my temp dropped 3 degrees it could run for 20 minutes or longer until it was brought back up to my set temp of 70 in turn using more wood.

Back