Owb ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardy H2. Second year. It sure likes its wood. I like its savings.

Before the 5036 we were spending $5,000/yr in propane (from Oct-Mar) to keep the house at 68degF! Our house was built in 2003 and is well insulated, a few silly decisions when we designed it that we didn't appreciate the impact of:

- 3,500sf 2 story (no basement)
- 17' ceiling in very large family room - we're talking cubic yards of air here
- extra windows on every wall we could fit them in (love view of woods)
- 10'6" ceilings throughout 1st floor (cubic yards of air to heat)
- 9' ceilings on 2nd floor
- skylights in many rooms
- 2 propane furnaces (no heat pump)

This all adds up to some really serious heating costs.

With the 5036 in place we use 0 propane for heating and keep the house at 74degF (and I stay far more fit than I used to).

Hey you guys with the $5000.00 propane bills, just curious on your burn times and wood consumption, for the cold months.

I filled up 4 times a year with propane and each time it cost me around 854 dollars to fill. I put in a hardy H2 and I started to heat my 2000 sq ft house and a 1600 sq ft pole building that was insulated. I soon leaned that the pole building wasn't as important to heat as I had thought it was. I went through a bunch of wood. I really couldn't tell how much as it seemed I couldn't keep up. After I quit heating the pole building the consumption went way down. I usally put wood in the hardy in the morning before work and once when I get home frome work. I really like it when the propane guys come out and lift the lid off the tank and get back in their truck and drive away.

Shaver 165 with several modifcations. I love it!

Heating with forced air except for the 24'x30' great room with 18' cathedral ceiling and loft. It's heated with self installed radiant floor. Heating DHW too.

2nd year with it. Home has never been warmer. Keep it around 74*-75*, sometimes higher. Before the OWB, inside temps were kept 67*-69*

Wife was against getting it 2 years ago. Got in a big argument over it.(spending that much money)

She's eating her words now!:laugh:

She loves the warm house too!

Hey you guys with the $5000.00 propane bills, just curious on your burn times and wood consumption, for the cold months.

I typically get 12hrs out of just over a half load of mixed wood (pine/oak/gum/whatever) in my 5036 with about a 50degF difference between outside/inside temp. If it is colder I stuff the firebox full and can get a good 12 hours out of it.

No windows open to cause the $5000 propane. Built 2006 with 22' cath ceiling in main room, 9' ceilings throughout rest of house, 3200sq ft, lots of windows, two hot water tanks, good insulation, and up on a hill that catches wind in the winter.
With the temps lately in the low 20's with strong winds have been loading twice a day. Fill the H4 completly at night (8-10 sticks) and top it off in the AM (3-4 sticks). Can get at least 14hr burn if its in the the teens. If temps in the 40's-50's load once a day about 3/4 full.
Installed for $7600 vs $5000 a yr propane, keep house 70deg, and best of all don't have to worry if the propane truck makes it up the long and very uphill driveway in the winter. Back in 2006 we had a terribly cold January. Went through a tank (400 gal) of propane in THREE weeks. $900 in three weeks!:taped:

classic central boiler 6048

$3500 a year before the classis - Last year was first year with boiler and went to $0 in Propane costs. Love it and would recommend it to anyone. Fill it once a day during the coldest part of winter (Central Indiana) around 0deg.F.

wadero 200, built it this year and its great. fill it once per day, just watch the weather and adjust how much wood i put in to match it. forced air furnace.

1harlowr where abouts in Oh are you? I am in wayne county. I remember that winter as it was the first winter in my new home. I couldn't believe that I went through the propane that fast. I kept thinking did they put enough insulation in the house or what. In 08 I installed the H2 and I thought that I had enough wood cut until I ran out. This year I just kept cutting and hauling till I am pretty sure I have enough. I sure like coming home and not seeing that propane bill stuck in the door.

Craddock, In Licking Co. That was the first year in my house also. Didn't take long to turn thermostat down from 72 to 66. Hated to see that little yellow slip showing how much was put in the tank. Hated worse the propane co. wont deliver until the prior bill was paid. Get bill week after filling, have to pay by end of that second week cause needed more propane by third week. Funny always arguing with lady on phone from propane co that I was ALMOST out even though I was on auto fill (Don't have to call, propane co keeps you filled) and she says there is no way you are below 50%. Wan't real fun waking up on Thanksgiving morning at 5am, house 60 degrees cause the propane ran out, and the in laws coming for Thanksgiving (yes cook with propane). I'm glad the propane call center was in New Jersey and not local that morning :angry::angry:

I had the same problem with the propane co. exactly as you did. I couldn't believe how fast the furnace ate that stuff up. It scared me as I wasn't sure as what I was going to be able to do. But after putting in the OWB I just smile when they pull in check the tank and drive away. I filled up last Sept. which is 80% and I checked it a week ago and it still has 70%. It seems that when running the propane at 68 or 69 that I have to run the OWB at 72 or 73 to feel the same warmth. Is this just me or what?

Bear in mind that most LP dealers will eventually start charging you "rent" on your tank if you don't buy a minimum amount of fuel. I found out the hard way that I have to pay $12/month for our mostly unused 500gal LP tank (we keep it for backup and stove top cooking).

I had the same problem with the propane co. exactly as you did. I couldn't believe how fast the furnace ate that stuff up. It scared me as I wasn't sure as what I was going to be able to do. But after putting in the OWB I just smile when they pull in check the tank and drive away. I filled up last Sept. which is 80% and I checked it a week ago and it still has 70%. It seems that when running the propane at 68 or 69 that I have to run the OWB at 72 or 73 to feel the same warmth. Is this just me or what?

I have had the same "run outta propane" problem that most here have described to almost a T. It sucked. We only had our house set at 62. We went through $1900 last year in 5.5 weeks. Overall spent over 5K in propane.

With the Hawken the house is now set at 72, everyone is very comfortable and relaxed with hot water to boot.

Called to fill the propane tank Mid Sept, delivered 80%, it's now 76%.

I'm just glad to know i'm not the only person to run out.

just set up with a Crown Royal Mod. 7300 OWB after 2 years of looking,living in the middle of cent.boiler country. I feel this is the best stove outthere,sst with round waterjacket and firebox, total setup doing all work myself over 13000.00 that includes 250 feet GOOD ins.pipe, and 110 gallons of hydro.antifreeze, which I felt for the investment was needed. Last night I had 13 below,and kept the hse.at 70 and still had coals and 130 degree 220 gallons of water 12 hours later.

Latest posts

Back