P T O driven splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
am new to these parts howdy. I have a 10 acre mini farm and a newer cub cadet utility tracter,35hp, rear hydro hookups,backhoe,loader and mower ect.ect......My ? is if i buy a tri link hookup for a splitter and it has its own resivoir and my P T O runs the normal 540 shouldnt the splitter work at its full potential? Jeez this is so confusing as to the rpms gpms psi at rpms Ill admit i am an city misfit here in ole Kentuck,,,,but i kindda like it here and energy prices are really disproportionate(someone let me know if i spelled that correctly} to the energy cost in the windy city.So i have an insert with blower,relined the stack, and now im cookin with fire.Just cant see spending the 2 to 4 hunert a year on some good ole boys sweat when i can do my own,My max gpms in the srec sheet says the max pump pressue is 7.8 any help would do a heart good :yoyo:

Last edited:
Welcome to AS!

There are two ways to go here, you can get a PTO driven hydraulic pump, res. plumb it and spend a lot of money building it. I am guessing you want to build it right?
The other option is to run it off of the existing hydraulics on the tractor. It will be slow due to the lower GPM flow, but a LOT cheaper and easier in the long run! All you would need is the ram and a spool valve with minumal plumbing. No need for a resevoir, just top off the tractor after running the splitter a bit. No need for a filter, on the tractor already. LOTS cheaper!

OK, sounds like you need to know some basics. With out getting into hydraulic engineering your system GPMs controls the speed that the ram will operate and PSI controls the power or force involved. With the valving and pumps used in most splitters you are pumping X gallons per minute no matter if the ram is moving or not OK?. Only when met with resistance will the system pressure rise up to the level of the relief setting if need be. Sooooo, if you are concerned with splitting speed you need the GPMs recommended by the manufacture. If you are only concerned with splitting power then system pressure needs to be up to snuff. Don't feel alone as many who make claims to know have these facts really screwed up. My splitter runs off of the PTO driven pump because I can get the GPMs I need for speed with out running the tractor wide open to get them. For a few cords a year I go with the Redneck and Eric, runit off your tractor if you have enough hydraulic GPM to do the job, pressure should be there but is easily checked with a cheap gauge and a fitting at one of your outlets.

His spec. sheet stated 7.8gpm, not the fastest but with a 3 1/2-4 inch ram, it should split most of what he comes across.

We use a hydraulic three point splitter off of the back of a 756 IH Farmall.
Slicker than greased glass.

The splitter runs off of the tractors Hydraulic system entirely, no seperate reservoir. Size your cylinder according to what your system will put out and what you want to achieve force wise.

Chuck

only 1500 psi and only 7.8 gpm unit has a 4in bore

OK, sounds like you need to know some basics. With out getting into hydraulic engineering your system GPMs controls the speed that the ram will operate and PSI controls the power or force involved. With the valving and pumps used in most splitters you are pumping X gallons per minute no matter if the ram is moving or not OK?. Only when met with resistance will the system pressure rise up to the level of the relief setting if need be. Sooooo, if you are concerned with splitting speed you need the GPMs recommended by the manufacture. If you are only concerned with splitting power then system pressure needs to be up to snuff. Don't feel alone as many who make claims to know have these facts really screwed up. My splitter runs off of the PTO driven pump because I can get the GPMs I need for speed with out running the tractor wide open to get them. For a few cords a year I go with the Redneck and Eric, runit off your tractor if you have enough hydraulic GPM to do the job, pressure should be there but is easily checked with a cheap gauge and a fitting at one of your outlets.
only 1500 psi and only 7.8 gpm unit has a 4in bore still confused but ill getrdun

Where are you coming up with 1500PSI?

borrowed a tester from tractor supply guyz and hooked it up to my aux. hydro hookups where my backhoe connects, got it up to 1600 with max rpms...its a utility tractor 35 hp 28.5 accual please read my other post called pto slitter again and lookie at the spec sheet for me.......really appreciate this info this is a really cool site im gonna cut a couple cords a year for myself,but dont want to go to smalll or the wrong size if i want to get into the firewood buss. on the side

hook it up to your tractor hydraulics.

if and when you decide it is too slow or doesn't have enough force, you can purchase a tank and pto pump and be out almost nothing.

everything you need to hook it up to tractor hydrualics you will also need for pto. the only difference might be line sizes.

at 8 gpm, you can get away with 1/2 inch hose. If you just use 3/4 hose, you are good to over 20gpm.

borrowed a tester from tractor supply guyz and hooked it up to my aux. hydro hookups where my backhoe connects, got it up to 1600 with max rpms...its a utility tractor 35 hp 28.5 accual please read my other post called pto slitter again and lookie at the spec sheet for me.......really appreciate this info this is a really cool site im gonna cut a couple cords a year for myself,but dont want to go to smalll or the wrong size if i want to get into the firewood buss. on the side

When you tested were you flowing through the system, two hoses, one in, one out with a gauge inline? Or did you "dead head" it, one hose on the output with a gauge? If you flow through, you have a general idea of normal pressure, but no idea of what you're relief valve is set for, and dead heading is the only true test that will put the system in "over relief".

hook it up to your tractor hydraulics.

if and when you decide it is too slow or doesn't have enough force, you can purchase a tank and pto pump and be out almost nothing.

everything you need to hook it up to tractor hydrualics you will also need for pto. the only difference might be line sizes.

at 8 gpm, you can get away with 1/2 inch hose. If you just use 3/4 hose, you are good to over 20gpm.

I have no idea where this stuff comes from......

Out almost nothing? the PTO pumps start at $420.

I have no idea where this stuff comes from......

Out almost nothing? the PTO pumps start at $420.

sorry. I'll try to use smaller words.

Lets say you set up your log splitter to use the tractor hydraulics, and you buiy 3/4 hose instead of 1/2 inch.

Then you run it for a while, and then decide tractor hydraulics aren't cutting it.

So now you need to purchase a pump and tank.

But EVERYTHING else you purchased for the original tractor hydraulics will still be usable with the new pump/tank.

Simple enough????

sorry. I'll try to use smaller words.

Lets say you set up your log splitter to use the tractor hydraulics, and you buiy 3/4 hose instead of 1/2 inch.

Then you run it for a while, and then decide tractor hydraulics aren't cutting it.

So now you need to purchase a pump and tank.

But EVERYTHING else you purchased for the original tractor hydraulics will still be usable with the new pump/tank.

Simple enough????

That is a correct statement, everything he would purchase could be used if he were to convert it over to a PTO driven pump.
It was not the "BIG" words, it was the way it was worded, it could have been read to mean that it wouldnt cost much more to convert it over. Which it will cost a good deal more. That was my point, and you corrected it just now, so I am sorry about that!
My main concern with this now is his reading of 1500PSI hyd. pressure. IF this is a true reading, it may be a deal breaker!!! I know it doesn't sound like much but running the numbers 4" bore at 1500 gives us 18,840lbs. At 3000 we get 32,381lbs. That adds up to a HUGE difference!

9 to 9 1/2 ton force enough for splittin

:bang:
When you tested were you flowing through the system, two hoses, one in, one out with a gauge inline? Or did you "dead head" it, one hose on the output with a gauge? If you flow through, you have a general idea of normal pressure, but no idea of what you're relief valve is set for, and dead heading is the only true test that will put the system in "over relief".

deadheaded it only on the out put side with no flowthrough already figured the unit i want with my hydro hookups will give me around 9 ton or so and about 18 -23 sec returntime is this enough to geterdun or should i start here andleter rip

Last edited:
:bang:

deadheaded it only on the out put side with no flowthrough already figured the unit i want with my hydro hookups will give me around 9 ton or so and about 18 -23 sec returntime is this enough to geterdun or should i start here andleter rip

Wait and see what some of the others say, but I think you are beating a dead horse from the get go. On nice straight grained wood, Oak and what not, it might fly, but any knots and it's done! I would want 20ton minimum just from personal experiance! The cycle time will not be pleasant, but if it had more power it would be acceptable, but man that aint much power!
Humor me, and give me the model number of that tractor, I want to do a bit of research.

edit: I think even the little electric splitters have 12 ton!

Wait and see what some of the others say, but I think you are beating a dead horse from the get go. On nice straight grained wood, Oak and what not, it might fly, but any knots and it's done! I would want 20ton minimum just from personal experiance! The cycle time will not be pleasant, but if it had more power it would be acceptable, but man that aint much power!
Humor me, and give me the model number of that tractor, I want to do a bit of research.

edit: I think even the little electric splitters have 12 ton!

its a cub cadet 8354 2004 35 hp thanx alot saw may i call you saw

Last edited:
its a cub cadet 8354 2004 35 hp thanx alot saw may i call you saw

Saw is fine, usually get called a lot worse.

I have not found it yet, but need to check on another Cub Cadet part anyway, so when I call I will ask.

You're tractor is made by Kioti, and is also sold in the states as a DK35. Total sytem flow is 12.7gpm, but the aux flow is only 7.9, I find that odd, but can't find the listing on hydraulic pressure, YET!

Latest posts

Back