Pain management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst one was when I got my first dump truck - just an ol' 80's 1 ton. I was scraping the cork gasket of my valve covers with a screw driver. It wasn't coming off easy, and once a piece broke free, my hand came right down to the metal lip of the cover. It's just like a tin can lid, and it cut open my pointing finger knuckle.

There was blood squirting and all of that BS. I had to get it scrubbed out and stitched. I put a brace on it and a leather glove, and carried on with the full workload - PAAAAAAAAIN....... and cuss words when ever it hot hit or turned wrong. Everything is screwy with a bad pointing finger - everything from pulling the trigger on the saw to picking up brush. I had to relearn how to type, and re-relearn how to type when it healed enough.

It took 3 months before I could bend it at all again, and another couple of months before it didn't hurt any. Joints don't heal easily or good at all. I still can't bend it all the way. It makes a nice impression in a river boat pirate captain sort of way.

The worst one was when I got my first dump truck - just an ol' 80's 1 ton. I was scraping the cork gasket of my valve covers with a screw driver. It wasn't coming off easy, and once a piece broke free, my hand came right down to the metal lip of the cover. It's just like a tin can lid, and it cut open my pointing finger knuckle.

There was blood squirting and all of that BS. I had to get it scrubbed out and stitched. I put a brace on it and a leather glove, and carried on with the full workload - PAAAAAAAAIN....... and cuss words when ever it hot hit or turned wrong. Everything is screwy with a bad pointing finger - everything from pulling the trigger on the saw to picking up brush. I had to relearn how to type, and re-relearn how to type when it healed enough.

It took 3 months before I could bend it at all again, and another couple of months before it didn't hurt any. Joints don't heal easily or good at all. I still can't bend it all the way. It makes a nice impression in a river boat pirate captain sort of way.

Please tell me it was a chevy. :)

lemme see here...ran a saw across the top of my leg, went and got stitches, came back and finished the job, worked one miserable summer with a torn ACL and meniscus (sp?) on my right knee that I still have not had repaired yet, took a little fall out of a tree, didn't break anything but was pretty sore for about 3 months and doing tree jobs in that 3 months was pretty miserable, then just last august crushed my left thumb in the wood splitter when a piece of wood turned on me, surprisingly it did not effect my climbing too much. Currently I have a small bulge on my right wrist that looks like an alien is trying to pop out of there. This is where I have already had surgery for Carpal Tunnel so I am kind of wondering what the heck is going on there. Yeah this work is not for sissies.

Broke 2 ribs coming down from the roof of a house with tree on top of it, when the ladder slipped away - I was holding 359 in my hand. Landed on top of the sideways ladder but never did let the saw touch the ground -what can I say -I'm an dummy - and of course the tree got removed. Oh and I had to sleep two weeks in my recliner - could not lay down - tried it once, but needed help to get back up cause' I couldn't breathe:cheers:

I dont know what to say. I hope we can learn alot from this thread, yet at the same time I almost wish I didnt start it cuz some of you guys are turning my stomach or making me cringe

my buddy johnny, the 1 that caught bronchitus with the broke ribs had a polesaw come loose on him after he hung it in a tree he was in. he has the most wonderfull scar on the top of his index or middle finger from where he threw his hand up to block his face. he went to the hospital and the doctor told him, {i love this line} how do you expect me to sew shredded wheat back together?

P.P.S. never hammer in a wedge too hard. you never know when itll pop back and give you your first (and only) stitches/facial scar. STILL GOT ALL MY TEETH!!! YEA!!!!!

Here's the deal: It's a hard knock job guys. Not everyone can do it. As I have become very aware of this past week a smooth talker can sell it but not necessarily have the wherewithal to do it. I hire and fire guys everyday. Most aren't cut out for it. If you're getting the job done and have been doing it awhile without getting hurt then count your blessings. If you haven't been hurt at it yet then you ain't been at it long enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVb8U0eWouE

If you haven't been hurt at it yet then you ain't been at it long enough...

Man ,ain't that the truth.

Had back problems for 15 years now.
One day I showed up on the job feeling fine ,sat down to buckle up my spurs and that was all she wrote....Two groundies had to carry me to my truck,then drive me home. Ended up missing 3 more days that week.
I guess back pain and tree work go hand in hand.
Finished many a tree with back tightening up on me.Keep the saw running and try to not think about it.

That's what you get for thinking you're ''superman'' when you're young.

Now my boy does the same stupid stuff,in spite of all the advise from myself and other elders with bad backs.

Although they always seem minor, we all figure you have to take a hit every day on the job. Once you take the hit for the day, you're all set. The rest of the day is safe.
:greenchainsaw:

anyone here ever been the only climber on a $10g crane day? I love doin it just to see how much gets done, but its not realy worth it cuz i walk funny for 2 days and my whole body hurts.

you feel like that cause you doing it wrong. minus the times i've run the crane or let the new guy climb (last thursday) ive climbed every job we've done in the past year and change. every single job. i play golf if we get out at 4 (rarely during the week) and play every sunday for sure and saturday too if we happen to have it off.

crane goes out daily.

i will partake in some advil liquid gels on the odd occasion but that about it.

work smarter.

you feel like that cause you doing it wrong. minus the times i've run the crane or let the new guy climb (last thursday) ive climbed every job we've done in the past year and change. every single job. i play golf if we get out at 4 (rarely during the week) and play every sunday for sure and saturday too if we happen to have it off.

crane goes out daily.

i will partake in some advil liquid gels on the odd occasion but that about it.

work smarter.

Justin, love ya to death kid but wait til you hit 40... ;)

40 ha!
What are we thinkin the hard part here is?

The tying into the ball....the riding through the air sitting in your saddle.....the setting 1 or a few chokers......the rapelling down to the cut on the climbing line....the standing on spikes and a crotch if available.....or the starting the saw and making a couple of cuts and waving bye bye .....or standing there waiting for the ball to come back....?

Tough stuff, no doubt :help:

:biggrinbounce2:

Here's the deal: It's a hard knock job guys. Not everyone can do it. As I have become very aware of this past week a smooth talker can sell it but not necessarily have the wherewithal to do it. I hire and fire guys everyday. Most aren't cut out for it. If you're getting the job done and have been doing it awhile without getting hurt then count your blessings. If you haven't been hurt at it yet then you ain't been at it long enough...

Can I get a AMEN!

40 ha!
What are we thinkin the hard part here is?

The tying into the ball....the riding through the air sitting in your saddle.....the setting 1 or a few chokers......the rapelling down to the cut on the climbing line....the standing on spikes and a crotch if available.....or the starting the saw and making a couple of cuts and waving bye bye .....or standing there waiting for the ball to come back....?

Tough stuff, no doubt :help:

:biggrinbounce2:

Lol!

Seems someone's looking to make waves this morning. I'm usually as exhausted after a crane day as I am a regular one. But we all know why. So what's easier on the body? Bucket or crane?

Thought we were comparing "hard" to climbing (with or without spikes) and rigging (none nec w/ the crane).

Your prob bm obviously is not being able to ride the ball....and a marked inexperience in crane jobs.

There is a lot more physicallity to bucket jobs most do not realize that is related to the speed of work and ability to "tear" a tree apart. Pushing huge pieces, holding and tossing from over roofs (rooves?), headlocking huge pieces and putting them in the bucket or holding with one hand and booming to an opening, by pass cutting and breaking off big pieces and then tossing.....etc etc etc.:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back