Pain management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems someone's looking to make waves this morning. I'm usually as exhausted after a crane day as I am a regular one. But we all know why. So what's easier on the body? Bucket or crane?

I'm just glad I never got into the Crane thing. I think it has made me a better climber having to figure things out for myself in a tree - without the aid of heavy equipment.

I'm just glad I never got into the Crane thing. I think it has made me a better climber having to figure things out for myself in a tree - without the aid of heavy equipment.

I see what you're saying, bro, but you're always going to have those situations that you'll need to figure out when you can't get equipment to the tree. Using a crane when you can get it in just makes more sense in my situation at least. When I get a bucket the times that I get a crane on site will be more few and far between than they are now but it will still happen. Personally, I wish I had spent some saddle time with a big outfit prior to starting my own show. It's a different game with the crane and I learn more every time I do it. If I had had the experience in the past working under guys that really knew their #### it would be a much less stressful situation whenever I bring one in and the tab is on me.

I've used a Crane four or five times in my career. I have never refused a tree either.. call me oldschool, ignorant, or whatever.

Another thing I consider when bringing in a crane is appearances. On that oak on Friday I had the whole ####### block standing there watching me tear apart the tree. I put on a ####### show and no one on that street will forget the name they saw on my trucks. Not only did I get to make my job easier I got some killer advertising for my biz.

I was just trying to rough things up a little.

The difficulty in crane work is that you often are cutting in very awkward positions dictated by the speed of the job and often you have little movement without a high crotch or just bucked into the stem.

Ideal situation is a big bucket and a crane and then you can get in the ideal position for the cut with little or hopefully no jeopardy in safety to yourself.

My job Fri was a blind one btwn op and me with my gm the spottermidway between 2 tight houses. After one cut the op for whatever reason dropped the piece (huge log) below the cut. If I was tied into that side there would have been no chance of escape and massive injuries in best scenario.

Another time he kept snugging the choker with the engine gunned and I thought the choker was going to explode.

More nervous stress in craners.

Another thing I consider when bringing in a crane is appearances. On that oak on Friday I had the whole ####### block standing there watching me tear apart the tree. I put on a ####### show and no one on that street will forget the name they saw on my trucks. Not only did I get to make my job easier I got some killer advertising for my biz.

You mean "standing there watching the Crane tear the tree apart". Lol.

I was just trying to rough things up a little.

The difficulty in crane work is that you often are cutting in very awkward positions dictated by the speed of the job and often you have little movement without a high crotch or just bucked into the stem.

Ideal situation is a big bucket and a crane and then you can get in the ideal position for the cut with little or hopefully no jeopardy in safety to yourself.

Very rarely do I see a tree that can be done efficiently with both bucket and crane. I find it hard to set just the crane and chip truck up on most jobs much less another heavy rig, but then again, I don't look at the setup the same way a bucket bunny would either.

The TIP thing is another one that became an issue for me on Friday. It was a pain for the CO to work around but without being able to ride the ball I was very hesitant to lose my TIP. Planning cuts based on crane reach, weight of pick, interference of wires, my line, other branches, etc. made it a whole new world of things to consider. Tons of up and down as we disassembled that ##### piece by piece.

Very rarely do I see a tree that can be done efficiently with both bucket and crane. I find it hard to set just the crane and chip truck up on most jobs much less another heavy rig,

that is because you don't have a bucket I am guessing. maybe also because you are relatively new in the biz

but then again, I don't look at the setup the same way a bucket bunny would either

even more evidence you do not have a bucket. this is generally the way a low income tree service refers to someone with a bucket. Another reference is usually where the non bucket guy portrays himself as "more artistic" without a bucket lol and a better climber.:cry:hahahah

.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit bucket work does get boring, and sometimes I find myself complaining about it.. but then I tell myself "aww, poor baby is bored making $200 an hour". :cry:

this is generally the way a low income tree service refers to someone with a bucket. Another reference is usually where the non bucket guy portrays himself as "more artistic" without a bucket lol and a better climber.:cry:hahahah

[/QUOTE]

lol. I just use that term here to bust your guys balls. Mainly I use it describe lawn jockeys that buy buckets and are now real "tree men". Lotsa those round these parts. I'll get a bucket one of these days and join the ranks. You can't deny the production increasing, energy saving, and money making benefits of one for too long. My hat's off to guys like you and mds that step out of your buckets on the regular without a moments hesitation. Bunny. lol

lol. I just use that term here to bust your guys balls. Mainly I use it describe lawn jockeys that buy buckets and are now real "tree men". Lotsa those round these parts. I'll get a bucket one of these days and join the ranks. You can't deny the production increasing, energy saving, and money making benefits of one for too long. My hat's off to guys like you and mds that step out of your buckets on the regular without a moments hesitation. Bunny. lol[/QUOTE]

Oh, dont go playing all nicey, nice now, just cuz tv put you over his lap and spanked your ass back there.. :laugh:

broken ankle early in the day, climbed many trees that day on the ROW and walked about 1/2 mile out hauling my gear back to the truck at the days end, didn't know the ankle was broken till the next day when I couldn't stand on it and it was black, blue and yellow and the size of my knee and I went to the doc...

Is this a pain management thread or a "TELL ME WAR STORIES THREAD" by a bunch of sissies , cause I have been working with a bad knee bad ankle sore insteps and numerous small limb injuries and have only left a job once , thats cause I passed out in the tree and needed Ariel rescue to be brought down after I put a hanger pole hook right through my elbow tearing my bicep and half bleeding to death , If I didn't't pass out I would have come down and driven myself there....

Oh, dont go playing all nicey, nice now, just cuz tv put you over his lap and spanked your ass back there.. :laugh:

What? You wanted a flame war? I'll take the climber's side... If you take two equal climbers and send one out to work without a bucket for a few years and the other one to work with a bucket which one will be the better climber in the end? The bucket man may still be good, and be a better overall tree guy but the climber will kick his ass on a manual any day of the week. Same thing as your argument against cranes. You take two equal climbers/bucketmen and send them out ( one with a bucket and one with a crane ) for a few years who will be sharper in the bucket? The crane guy will be more well rounded but the dude who was forced to do every tree with a bucket will be better at that aspect simply because of experience and day to day operation. It's a new game at each level and should be treated as such.

There is a lot more physicallity to bucket jobs most do not realize that is related to the speed of work and ability to "tear" a tree apart. Pushing huge pieces, holding and tossing from over roofs (rooves?), headlocking huge pieces and putting them in the bucket or holding with one hand and booming to an opening, by pass cutting and breaking off big pieces and then tossing.....etc etc etc.:chainsawguy:

:agree2:
Aw somebody who knows how to make full use of a bucket.
Not much use for a rigging line .once the tree is down to bucket height.
Usually faster to hold ,throw, swing,fill the bucket up around you etc.,as you described.

Is this a pain management thread or a "TELL ME WAR STORIES THREAD" by a bunch of sissies , cause I have been working with a bad knee ...

Um... Wasn't that another war story?

Me? I'm a sissy. When I get hurt, I go get fixed up.
(Most of the time. When I think the doctors will do me any good)

lol. I just use that term here to bust your guys balls. Mainly I use it describe lawn jockeys that buy buckets and are now real "tree men". Lotsa those round these parts. I'll get a bucket one of these days and join the ranks. You can't deny the production increasing, energy saving, and money making benefits of one for too long. My hat's off to guys like you and mds that step out of your buckets on the regular without a moments hesitation. Bunny. lol

Whose your daddy?:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back