Pamphlet to hand out with estimates.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread could easily turn into selling tactics but I'm with the Dan on this one. I've started just telling potential customers what I would do with the trees if they were mine...regardless of the price. They may want them topped originally, or taken down but I just tell them flat out, what I would do. Sometimes it's just a little thinning, sometimes it's removal, but it's HONEST. And the people that pick up on my sincerity eat it up and I tend to work extra hard on those jobs as if those were MY trees. I've been doing well with it. As far as your pamphlet idea, it's tits. I should make one up myself. I would try to push more of the positives of what you do than the negatives of others practices. Does the ISA put out any literature in a pamphlet form along these lines? It would be nice to have an overhead body of degree'd persons pushing proper practices and all you'd have to do is stand there and say, "This is how I operate." It's then no longer you selling your work, but more of you telling the customer that this is the way it's done, which just so happens to be the way I do it.

:agree2:

There was only one other company here with Cert Arbs, I am only the second. I find that there is good demand.

Most of the well-known local names don't do good work and clients who bring it up say one of 2 things: "I hired Company X and they did a terrible job before" -OR- "I have always hired Company Y, and have been happy with them, will you top my trees like they did"? I bite my toung, and just explain why what I am offering is the best thing for their trees. I try hard to not belittle anybody or their work - just let right be right, there is plenty of science behind proper tree care and when somebody knows I am not just making things up 'because taht is the way grandpa did it', I find it sells.

I agree 100% with Ghillie's statement: "I am by no means a salesman, but educating the customer and letting him/her decide what they want to do seems to work for me."

Me too. (or I am dealing with clients who already have a certain knowledge, and as long as I am reasonable, the job is mine...)

If you sell "tree care" and convince them that they are not" paying by the ton", your client base will grow. I live in an area that is palm tree abundant. It took about 3 years to convince several of our clients that we would only remove the fruit, seed pods, dead or hanging fronds. Basically, trimming to 9 and 3. The palms that are over pruned grow much faster. Remember, a prune cut is a wound. The international response to pruning is vigorous growth. :)
Jeff

Ghillie, PM me your address and I will send you some samples of what you want. If you want. :)
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, those samples were exactly what I was looking for. Just placed an order for some on proper care for young and mature trees and what to look for in an arborist.

:clap:

Thanks Jeff, those samples were exactly what I was looking for. Just placed an order for some on proper care for young and mature trees and what to look for in an arborist.

:clap:

I think it makes you seperate from guys with a truck and a saw and in this economy, we should promoting proper tree care and by doing so, we build trust and assurance. People are smart. Let them see un-biased facts. They should not be paying "by the ton", they pay for tree care. Alot of posters here and other sites have animosity against certifications. That is ok. To each his own. People want to know you care and know what to do.
Jeff :)

Jeff...good posts! & he has it down, Im in an area where no one really sells tree care except me & the fact that my team & I let our talents speak for us, you can tell people till your blue in the face how good you are & how you do it the right way, my competitors do the same thing.........But, when it comes to word of mouth and a good, reputable, honest service that knows what they`re really doing......right here is where you wanna be!!

I had brochures & bid qoute "rainchecks" & every other informational type item you could think of, in the end just show your customers what you can do, be fair, etc... personally a website would be much better!!!!

you put into play what Jeff told you & what I mentioned....you`ll be booked! right now im 4-5 weeks out & thank God every day!!!!

LXT................

Jeff...good posts! & he has it down, Im in an area where no one really sells tree care except me & the fact that my team & I let our talents speak for us, you can tell people till your blue in the face how good you are & how you do it the right way, my competitors do the same thing.........But, when it comes to word of mouth and a good, reputable, honest service that knows what they`re really doing......right here is where you wanna be!!

I had brochures & bid qoute "rainchecks" & every other informational type item you could think of, in the end just show your customers what you can do, be fair, etc... personally a website would be much better!!!!

you put into play what Jeff told you & what I mentioned....you`ll be booked! right now im 4-5 weeks out & thank God every day!!!!

LXT................

Well, thank-you, LXT, Your niceness confuses me and wants to argue with you! LOL--BTW. You are a good arguerer, Ha!
Jeff :D

They should not be paying "by the ton", they pay for tree care.

I find that I can close at a higher rate when I can walk a site with a prospective client and sell myself vs. a vague process. I speak to what we do and don't do, not what others may.

When talking about "trimming" I will say something like;
"trim away from the house, and prune the rest for good long term structure."

"pruning is wounding, and if you have several wounds in the same area the dieback can come together and form a decay pocket. I do not like taking off many large limbs."

"Raising and gutting the inside of the tree can cause stress in the summer, I like to lightly thin the inside and go out on the tips to take some weight off the leverage"

They may not remember all you say, but hey will remember that you are thoughtful and knowledgeable.

Hey guys just wondering, I haven't looked into it far enough yet but where exactly do you get certified for different things? I don't know if there is a website with a listing of certifications or just think something up and start researching? Thanks for the info!

What do you want a cert for? ISA is for arboist, and the local chapters proctor the tests.

IPM is handled by local states, which license also, some munis require a local license too.

Honestly I don't even know, have been interested in the tree businesses for a long time but hadn't made it into the licensing options. Have been researching alot of equipment and paying attention to estimates trying to learn but I don't know what all can be licensed or what the licenses are even standing for. There are alot of those week day warrior types with a poorly ran business and I'm trying to avoid that lol. Just shoot me some ideas I'll go from there.

Last edited:
pamphlets

Pamphlets are a good Idea. I think it works best to use what your customer have said about you in your pamphlets to make yourself look good. checkout my home page on my website and you will see what I mean. Just talking about how great you are is self rightous and isn't convincing because all of our competitors are doing it too. Also, giving the customer information from the ISA or information that you have written about the proposed work makes it true. If it is written it must be true. ISA pamphlets can be printed off at www.treesaregood.com. This has a lot of information for homeowners and for us to give to customers.

Back