parcially fallen tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldfingers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all,
i have just become a woodland owner and am slowly learning the ropes, i have a problem at the moment with a 100 ft tall conifer that has fallen onto another due to a blocked drain washing the root structure away during heavy rain.
it is in a awkward position with the top part of the tree resting against its neighbour. was wanting some advice on the safest way to get it away from the other tree and continue with its fall.
thanks for your time
kev.

Please post pics.......

Can you pull it off the other tree with a truck/tractor? Is it. Possible to cut the other tree down?

This should be posted in the homeowner helper forum but I'll bite. The best way is to shoot a line in the offending tree and pull it off its neighbor having already bucked it off the root system or partly through. Cutting it off the roots might get it to fall out but the likelihood of damage to the supporting tree will be higher so use caution or it will become really hung up. The best way to minimize damage is to call an arborist and have them climb it. If damage is not a concern cut it off the roots and pull it out (from the base) with a large tractor or fall both trees. Stay safe and I hope it helped.

Releasing hungups is fraught with danger when approached by a novice, but can be done if planned sensibly and with a huge dose of caution and safety.

Do NOT attempt to cut the one it is stuck in! The forces involved are powerful and complicated and can be fatal if not assessed and understood!

Assess which way it will most likely want to go if it is released fom the rootball, or even if you get a line up and give it a good pull. Stay away from that area!!!

Given its size, I'd be tempted to tell you to call a professional, because trying to describe to you turning straps, rolling, winching, sequence of cuts to release it from the rootball is very difficult over the internet.

I see now you are in the UK.
Felling hungup trees was a large cause of fatalities until trainng and certification in that very method, you should have no problem finding a professional to do it for you, just make sure they hold NPTC/City & Guilds CS 31 as a certificate, or given its size CS 32 is better!

As a new woodland owner, you can do yourself a lot of good by going and taking some chainsaw short courses either at a college or with a training provider, look for SC 30, 31 and 32 as a start!

Good Luck!i

Kev. welcome,

Your best bet is to hire a tree service to do this safe, and keep you from getting hurt...leaners are tricky, a lot can happen quick.

Just get bids on taking the leaner out and you cut up rest when on ground, shouldnt be to much to spend, since you have gold fingers..lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back