Partial Shade versus Full Sun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just learned that my mother planted an oak in an area which gets partial/dappled shade for most of the day as a result of tall trees surrounding it (mostly European Beech and London Planes). I tried telling her that the tree will likely either be stunted or die, but she insist it will "match the hatch" and grow just as tall as the others to reach the sunlight. Who's right in this? BTW- its a Nuttall Oak.

Some thoughts:

1. Mom is gonna win this argument despite what you or we may say.

2. The tree will probably be fine. Not perfect perhaps because it may want to bend to find the light, but I'll bet it will do OK.

Joe

"I just learned that my mother planted an oak in an area which gets partial/dappled shade for most of the day as a result of tall trees surrounding it (mostly European Beech and London Planes). I tried telling her that the tree will likely either be stunted or die, but she insist it will "match the hatch" and grow just as tall as the others to reach the sunlight. Who's right in this?"

What's wrong with you, boy, sassin yo mama like that? Of course she's right. She raised up your sorry butt, didn't she? :)

"BTW- its a Nuttall Oak"

It's not tall now, but give it a chance, it'll grow. :blob5:

Latest posts

Back