Partner 500 Parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce32s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dad and I both have Partner 500 chain saws. He bought his new and I bought mine a year ago for $25 at a garage sale. I need to find some parts. I had mine checked out because it would quit after running for a little bit and not restart until it sat for a little bit. It was running 118 PSI compression and the guy the checked it out said the piston and cylinder were scored. I like the saw and would like to have it fixed. Can I get a new top end for this saw somewhere? Any other saws have the same cylinder and piston? Also the oil cap on my dads has broke so it leaks a little bit and he would like to find a new one. So it would be good to find one of those too. If I can't find a top end for mine or make it run better as is I guess he can have my oil cap but I hope someone here can help me make mine better.

Any information is appreciated.

I have all the used parts you could need for those saws. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Yes, the Jonsered 490 top end will interchange with the Partner 500. E Bay has been my source for these old saws and parts although you may find an old Partner or Jonsered dealer which can help with parts or someone on this site. My understanding is that the Partner 500 was followed by the 5000 and then the 5000 Plus. The 500 and 5000 I have are open transfer port saws where the 5000 Plus and Jonsered 490 are closed port with a different cylinder head and piston design while they all use the same 44mm bore. The Jonsered 590 top end is similar and will probably bolt on however the bore is 45mm. There is also some interchangability with the Husqvarna 50 series although I can't tell you which will interchange and which will not. I know that some of the 45 mm Husky's which were sold as 50's and 51's have a larger OD at the base of the cylinder so will not work without some machining work. The crankshaft may interchange on all the saws mentioned above including the Husky 55 as they all have the same stroke and Electrolux became the parent company of all three brands.

GAPULPER said:
Yes, the Jonsered 490 top end will interchange with the Partner 500. E Bay has been my source for these old saws and parts although you may find an old Partner or Jonsered dealer which can help with parts or someone on this site. My understanding is that the Partner 500 was followed by the 5000 and then the 5000 Plus. The 500 and 5000 I have are open transfer port saws where the 5000 Plus and Jonsered 490 are closed port with a different cylinder head and piston design while they all use the same 44mm bore. The Jonsered 590 top end is similar and will probably bolt on however the bore is 45mm. There is also some interchangability with the Husqvarna 50 series although I can't tell you which will interchange and which will not. I know that some of the 45 mm Husky's which were sold as 50's and 51's have a larger OD at the base of the cylinder so will not work without some machining work. The crankshaft may interchange on all the saws mentioned above including the Husky 55 as they all have the same stroke and Electrolux became the parent company of all three brands.

nice work,
lets see if I can add anything.

first of my experience has been that the partner 500/5000/5000plus jonsered 490/590, husky 50,51,55,55R will all fit, I have swapped numerous with out a compatability issue but I have been wrong before. Look on ebay for a 51 p&c. and you will be all set you can by new aftermarket for almost used prices. Now I will say I have never tried putting these on a partner but I have gone the other way. here is a little more info the 590 and 55 are both 45mm closed port but it is a skirted piston. I will also add that there is a lot of potential with the 55R 46mm piston and cylinder.

Retoocs is a sponser and a dandy fine gent to deal with, I highly recommend using him for your part needs. If it turns out you guys can't work something out. I do have some parts I could possibly help you out. However I have a bit of info on the saws and will happily provide a little tech support if needed feel free to pm me.

By the way Scott project x is nearing the final revision.;)

buck futter said:
first of my experience has been that the partner 500/5000/5000plus jonsered 490/590, husky 50,51,55,55R will all fit, I have swapped numerous with out a compatability issue but I have been wrong before. Look on ebay for a 51 p&c. and you will be all set you can by new aftermarket for almost used prices. Now I will say I have never tried putting these on a partner but I have gone the other way. here is a little more info the 590 and 55 are both 45mm closed port but it is a skirted piston. I will also add that there is a lot of potential with the 55R 46mm piston and cylinder.

* Can you elaborate a little bit. I am kind of new to saws so I am not following. I searched ebay for 51 p&c and didn't come up with anything. What is p&c? Is it one of the Husky's? *

Retoocs is a sponser and a dandy fine gent to deal with, I highly recommend using him for your part needs. If it turns out you guys can't work something out. I do have some parts I could possibly help you out. However I have a bit of info on the saws and will happily provide a little tech support if needed feel free to pm me.

* I have pm'd Retoocs and am waiting for a response but any other info you can give me to expand my knowledge of this saw would be appreciated. Thanks. *

Since some of you here have experience with the Partner I have another question. Could I just get a bigger piston and bore out the original cylinder? I don't remember for sure but I thought someone told me that the cylinder was aluminum so I didn't know if that would be possible to do or not. If so what piston would I use?

Boring out the cylinder is not a viable option on a 2-cycle. You can't buy oversize pistons like you would on a 4-cycle motor. I won't even begin to act like I can explain the differences. But, I do know that the cylinders on a 2-cycle are coated with Nikasil and you can't get rid of it or everything will break very quickly, if you could even get it to run(things melt). That is the best I can do and I hope it is kind of right.

No, you don't want to bore a chromed aluminum because you will remove the chrome and will have to go to the expense of having it rechromed which can be done but is not cost effective. Operating life without chrome will be poor so this is not a good option.

By P&C he is refering to piston and cylinder. I can tell you that all cylinders from a 50, 50, and 55 Husqvarna saw will not necessarily fit without modification. The 45mm cylinder off the Husky 50 saw I have measures 50mm outside diameter at the bottom of the cylinder which has to fit into the saw crankcase. The 44 mm bore Partner 500 and Jonsered 490 cylinders measure 48mm OD at the base and both fit properly into the Partner 500 crankcase.

Again, a little machining will take care of this but it would be better to find the parts which will fit. My view is that a piston and cylinder off a Jonsered 490 or Partner 5000 Plus would be best as you will be better than stock although the Partner 500 or 5000 parts will bring you back to stock. Some of the Husky parts will probably work as well but be aware that not all of them will interchcange.

Sounds like retool has what you need. If not, let me know and I'll help.

Another thought after rereading your first post. There is a good chance that honing your cylinder and installing a new piston and ring will get you going again. Often the scoring marks in the cylinder bore are aluminum which has wiped from the piston and can be removed with a ball type cylinder hone driven by an electric drill.

Latest posts

Back