Partner 7000 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmsvickers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have been lurking for a while (over a year) and finally decided to join. I currently have a ms250 and a 462. The 250 was from my father in law and I have beat it mercilessly. I grew up using saws clearing land for my folks small horse farm here in Maryland.

Anyhow I acquired a pretty sad partner 7000 series saw that I want to learn how to rebuild and maybe tweak a bit. I'm not expecting performance on par with my 462 but it would be neat to have another saw that I could use or even lend to so.e close friends that I'm not worried about it going down.

I have looked for some videos but information is kinda sparse. The guy I got it from (for moving a ay house for his daughter) said it ran but would die under load. I tore it apart as the fuel lines from the tank were not sealed at all.

I plan on replacing all the lines/hoses and maybe the carb or at least rebuild it if I can find a kit.

I am fairly mechanical and have rebuilt jeep engines and transmissions but never did much with small engines especially 2 stroke.

Anyone have any advice or leads before I start burning money?

Happy new year mate, but I'm sure it'll be cheaper than buying a 661 like I want and should scratch the itch! Haha!

I asked for advice and you provided yours, I appreciate it! I figure if I spend $150 on getting it up and running them it was 150 well spent! If not then hopefully I will have learned something!

Well the cylinder looks good, I knocked all the bugs out of the silencer and started trying to figure out where bolts go. The chain brake is broken but it looks complete other than that.

Does anyone know if a husky chain brake spring will fit the 7000 clutch drum?

Find another saw to learn on. Its pretty dang hard finding parts for the Partner.

I looked for 6 months to find a side handle bar AV mount for mine. Finally found one on Ebay UK and had to talk the guy into shipping to the US. Wasn't cheap to do that.

I plan on replacing all the lines/hoses and maybe the carb or at least rebuild it if I can find a kit.

Anyone have any advice or leads before I start burning money?
I would: (1) get shop manual, parts list, and owner's manual, (2) look at piston through the exhaust port, then (3) pressure and vac test the saw.

Make a decision about Step 4 after completing all of the above.

Roy

It looks to be mostly there, I may be able to make my own gaskets if need be.

I have the coil spring but the band is missing, I have the pawl, and two roll pins and a metal bracket. I may be able to fab up the band, but I have no idea what the requirements are for it and think it would be just as easy to buy a replacement. It looks like the band needs to rotate 90 to lock in the spring. I can make a spring co.pressor for a pair of pliers and set it that way.

Also the fuel tank has two holes, one for the fuel line then a smaller one next to it. There doesn't appear to be any purpose for the second hole so I was going to block it off.

I would: (1) get shop manual, parts list, and owner's manual, (2) look at piston through the exhaust port, then (3) pressure and vac test the saw.

Make a decision about Step 4 after completing all of the above.

Roy
I looked at the bore and piston amd did not see any damage or issues with the finish. Compression feels strong (havent tested it yet other than a finger over the plug port)

It's a free saw to me so it's the one I plan to piddle with. I would like to get a older stihl but we play the cards that we are delt.

I have the coil spring but the band is missing, I have the pawl, and two roll pins and a metal bracket. I may be able to fab up the band, but I have no idea what the requirements are for it and think it would be just as easy to buy a replacement. It looks like the band needs to rotate 90 to lock in the spring. I can make a spring co.pressor for a pair of pliers and set it that way.

Also the fuel tank has two holes, one for the fuel line then a smaller one next to it. There doesn't appear to be any purpose for the second hole so I was going to block it off.
The second hole is for a tank vent line.

2nd hole will be for tank vent?

Back