Partner 7000 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could do a lot worse than an older Partner! When I was in aircraft mechanic school in 1979-1981 I worked as a mechanic for Smith Tool and Fastener in Kansas City, Missouri. They were the Midwest distributor for A.B. Partner at the time- any saw sold between the Rockies and the Appalchians probably went through Smith tool. Anyway, Partners were damn fine saws then- and still are- looking at a lot of the plastic junk on the market these days. Coming from the West coast I was a die hard McCulloch guy, but I learned to love working on Partners real quick. The ones I worked on at the time (P55/P70/P85/P100/S50/S55/S65) were a joy to work on. Easy to troubleshoot. Easy to access things. And they were great performers! Of all the P series, the P70 was probably the lowest performing saw in the line, but it balanced well and was a very dependable saw- as were all the Partner line. I don't know how unobtainable parts would be these days, but the older ones shared a lot of parts with Husqvarna. I certainly wouldn't turn an older one down.

A couple of issues to keep in mind regarding Partners of that era: 1). they had a very short piston skirt- especially compaired to Stihl. This allowed them to operate at 10,000-10,500 RPM, but having less skirt surface area they needed a thick oil film to keep it from beating the skirt to death. I handled a lot of warranty claims from folks who bought a Partner because it was cheaper than a Stihl, but used Stihl oil because it came in those handy six packs. The Stihl oil said 50:1 on the can, and that's the way people would mix it. Stihl had a much longer skirt- and therefore more surface area to absorb the slap. It was the Kiss of Death in a Partner. Had saws come in that were still running, with the entire skirt from the wrist pin down missing! The complaint was "down on power". Go figure. Anyway, 25-1 mix is good. 32-1 at the very leanest. 50-1 or thinner? DON'T DO It!!!
2). One of the things that would cause a failure to start was the wire between the coil and the kill switch would sometimes get pinched under the top cover, just forward of the pistol grip, grounding out the mag. Changed out a lot of these wires.
3). One more thing- Partners had a governor built into the carburetor. There was a little spring loaded ball located under a brass plug on the right side of the carb. This spring was tuned to resonate at 10,000-10,500 RPM which allowed the ball to come off it's seat and dump raw fuel into the incoming air. This not only lowered the RPM by going briefly over rich, but also provided extra cooling as well. This is why it will four stroke if you rev it up too high. I used to cut a 1/4" disc out of card stock and put it under the brass plug to defeat the governor.
Another piece of Partner trivia: If you can locate a flywheel for one of the points ignition saws R420, etc.), when paired with the Thyristor ignition it will give you about 10 degrees more timing advance due to the keyway being in a slightly different place. This use to really wake these saws up! Anyway, if you have any questions about the older Partner, don't hesitate to ask.
-Porosonik.

I don't know how unobtainable parts would be these days, but the older ones shared a lot of parts with Husqvarna.
Well I find that new old stock Partner parts to be very hard to find. Please explain which older saws shared what parts with Husqvarna. Off hand I really can't think of much or anything the cube saws shared with any Husqvarna saws.

I have a pile of partner saws I think I’m missing the 70. I have the 50’s, 60’s, 85’d, 95’s 100cc saws someday I’ll get them running.

I have 2 pcs. 7000+ but it is already an improved P70 design, one is with T port and the other is one year older and without it. It's really hard for her to pull the string

Thanks for all the replies folks! I probably won't get back to the saw till tomorrow evening and then I'll have to get it pieced back together but I plan on firing it up. I'll make sure to use a higher oil mix.

Please explain which older saws shared what parts with Husqvarna. Off hand I really can't think of much or anything the cube saws shared with any Husqvarna saws.
I concur. There is no parts compatibility between Partner 55/65/70 saws and any Husqvarna model, with the exception of the spark plug and maybe one or two of the hex-head M4 bolts which may coincidentally be the same as some on an early Husky 50.

No you really didn't forget because that Husky ign coil is not a direct piece ever used on the cube saws.

Yes it can be used but it is different.
It wasn't on the early ones with the separate trigger module but all the S55, S65, 550, 650 & 7000Plus in Australia from 1984 onwards were fitted with 506 02 72-01.

Attachments

• Partner 550 & 650 - IPL & brochure.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
It wasn't on the early ones with the separate trigger module but all the S55, S65, 550, 650 & 7000Plus in Australia from 1984 onwards were fitted with 506 02 72-01.

Yes Your right, thanks for that correction. I knew it was the same as the 5000 type saws, thats why I said cube saws but forgot it was used on the saws you mentioned. I was also confused by using that coil to replace the ign on the Thyristor saws and the plug wire comes out in a different position.

Truth be known it was probably used on the Partner saws first before Elux borrowed a bunch of Partner parts and design to build the Husky 50 etc.
I knew the McCulloch Pro Mac 1000 used a similar one piece coil instead of the 2 piece ignitron the P100 used. But that is a different coil as the core is shaped differently to match the larger flywheel.

Either way, sharing a coil on a few models is a far cry from sharing a bunch of parts with Husqvarna saws as was stated by the other poster.

I concur. There is no parts compatibility between Partner 55/65/70 saws and any Husqvarna model, with the exception of the spark plug and maybe one or two of the hex-head M4 bolts which may coincidentally be the same as some on an early Husky 50.
My F55 Partner Lost the ignition Module a while ago and was able to replace it with one off a Husky chop saw. It Revs a tad slower but seems to be right in the main power curve so it cuts well as it always did. I am not trying to start I flaming out contest , but an old timer told me about the Partner F55 replacement that would work because a new ignition module is basically non existent, so I had no choice other then try it.. If I remember correctly I had to use the chop saw module bracket also. That was over 15 years ago and it still runs strong, Used it two weekends ago. I have a Partner F55 and also a 1977 Skill 1632 which is the same exact saw.
I was a Stihl Technician for years and just to prove a point, and end a pissing contest with another technician at the Stihl school. We had a Times Race through a 12 inch log. My F55 w/ 3/8 ,chain with the lower rev module ,and a 290 Stihl running 325. No modifications to either saw other then my replacement ignition module. Didn't beat him by much, but was quicker in three out of three tries. I also have the anti kick back chain brake on both saws which came out in the middle eighties. My only complaint about either one is with no anti vibration , you will feel it an hour after you shut it off. Lol
I guess my best like about the old saws is that If you hit a nail with the 3/8 chain you maybe wipe out a couple of teeth and keep going, where as with 325 chain you better put on a new chain or fire up the chain grinder.
Happy new Year all!

Yes those old semi pro cubes vibrate pretty good.I have done two Partner coil conversions a P70 I used the one piece coil from a 650 cut off saw cuts the same as original.The second saw was another P70 I used the coil from a Husqvarna 51 cuts as good as the other P70.
Wrenchit you could use the trigger module from a Kawasaki 4 stroke garden tractor motor still sold at John Deere dealers and ebay I see no reason why the Stens and others would not work I have used them on outboards mowers a two stroke Lawn Boy etc heat is their enemy.
When I read the post by Porosonik about using the points flywheel on two piece ignitions I got all excited because I thought I had a points carcass but no luck it is Two Piece.I wonder if the fly wheel would help increase power on the one piece coil Partners.Dam it I wish I had a points flywheel to try.I have 2 R420s and two P70s I prefer to use them over the similar size 266s and Jon 630 and 670s.if anyone tries a flywheel please post.
Kash

Latest posts

Back