Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the partners out for alittle wood cutting yesterday. picked up the 65 a week ago, had a few problems, first the chain brake was too tight, replaced the clutch cover, next it wouldn't oil so took the oil pump out and replaced the O ring on the plunger it oils now. Now it idles sometimes and most of the time it just dies and is harder to start after its warm. the husky dealer I got the saw from said he went through the whole fuel system. my weak link is trouble shooting carb problems. any ideas what could be causing the problems.View attachment 219794View attachment 219795

Took the partners out for alittle wood cutting yesterday. picked up the 65 a week ago, had a few problems, first the chain brake was too tight, replaced the clutch cover, next it wouldn't oil so took the oil pump out and replaced the O ring on the plunger it oils now. Now it idles sometimes and most of the time it just dies and is harder to start after its warm. the husky dealer I got the saw from said he went through the whole fuel system. my weak link is trouble shooting carb problems. any ideas what could be causing the problems.View attachment 219794View attachment 219795

I would start with a new plug. I have also seen crank seal cause saws to idle and then die. I have also seen metering levels need to be lowered a bit to keep the saw from loading up and dying.

I would start with a new plug. I have also seen crank seal cause saws to idle and then die. I have also seen metering levels need to be lowered a bit to keep the saw from loading up and dying.

Thanks I'll look into it. I have a set of seals I will put in and check out the carb.

S65

Check the fuel tank vent hose and valve at the top of it. Should have line with sithered bronze filter before and after the brass valve at the top. Blow air both ways through the valve. The valve is a duck bill letting air in and a OVER pressure spring in case of too much pressure. (duck bill valve tip faces toward tank)
Check the throttle shaft for side to side movement if it has a HS carb on it.
BIGGY: if it has a governor brass screw on the left side of the carb!!! PLUG IT!!!!!! I have yet to see one work right!!!!

Duane

Check the fuel tank vent hose and valve at the top of it. Should have line with sithered bronze filter before and after the brass valve at the top. Blow air both ways through the valve. The valve is a duck bill letting air in and a OVER pressure spring in case of too much pressure. (duck bill valve tip faces toward tank)
Check the throttle shaft for side to side movement if it has a HS carb on it.
BIGGY: if it has a governor brass screw on the left side of the carb!!! PLUG IT!!!!!! I have yet to see one work right!!!!

Duane

Duane you are the man;
I was wondering what those brass screw's were my F55A ,R16 and r17 all have them,Are you saying take them out and screw in a plug into the hole? do you just use a bolt? and just bottem it out I assume? I have gotten all three running and they run great but the R17 needs a air filter It did not have one on it, if I can find one it will be compleat.:)If any one has one pm me.

Governor plugs

Duane you are the man;
I was wondering what those brass screw's were my F55A ,R16 and r17 all have them,Are you saying take them out and screw in a plug into the hole? do you just use a bolt? and just bottem it out I assume? I have gotten all three running and they run great but the R17 needs a air filter It did not have one on it, if I can find one it will be compleat.:)If any one has one pm me.

Theres many threads on governor bypasses but I'll some it up. unscrew the plug, in the bottom there will be a hole in the center of the port on the carb. (or offset hole) if hole is in the center just drop a BB in there the screw the plug back in sealing the hole! NOW if the hole is offset in the carb you need to be more creative an will need to cut a piece of BEER can to seal the entire bottom. You can use gasket material if real LAZY.
Basic idea is to seal the passage so addition fuel is not dumped down the carb at 9000 rpms! (or WAY LESS in my experience)

NOTE: readjust H needle when done!!! it will more than likely be to lean now!!!

filters are available new still, various sources. Get an IPL and type in part # at Jacks etc. All filters are the same r16-P70

Duane

Last edited:
Theres many threads on governor bypasses but I'll some it up. unscrew the plug, in the bottom there will be a hole in the center of the port on the carb. (or offset hole) if hole is in the center just drop a BB in there the screw the plug back in sealing the hole! NOW if the hole is offset in the carb you need to be more creative an will need to cut a piece of BEER can to seal the entire bottom. You can use gasket material if real LAZY.
Basic idea is to seal the passage so addition fuel is not dumped down the carb at 9000 rpms! (or WAY LESS in my experience)

NOTE: readjust H needle when done!!! it will more than likely be to lean now!!!

filters are available new still, various sources. Get an IPL and type in part # at Jacks etc. All filters are the same r16-P70

Duane
Ok i will, where can i get an ipl I hear you guys saying that all the time.

Ipls

I have most of them, I just can't get them to link to hear lately. I can email you one or others might chime in. Just use a F55 ipl, or a S65 ipl as everything is the same really. I also have the repair manual for these saws.

Pm me your email if wanting them

Duane

Hi Jerry. Yes, the 44mm Husky 350 is exactly the same. I've mic'd 2 of them now in the past year and everything measures out the same.
Only if we can find a "drop in replacement" for the 5000 closed port. The 246 works great, but you have to widen the bosses a little, not a big deal, but a drop in one would be nice.
What I'd really like to find is a windowed 45mm Jred 590 piston. I have a complete clean 590, and another needing a piston.
I haven't been able to come up with anything for a windowed 590 piston.

Awhile back you sent me the link for the246 husky piston for my 5000 project I just placed my order,But now I see there is a replacement for the 500 piston as well is there an e-bay link for aftermarket of these as well and if so will you share that with me ole buddy in partner crime?

Well i disabled the govener on the r517 today while cleaning the carb and may have an easy way to do this.I opened it up and the hole was off set so I took a standard size paper punch and punched a hole in gasket material and installed the punched piece and it fits perfectly but just in case i added 1 more punch peice and screwed the plug / govener back in runs a whole lot better.

I have a spark plug boot question for you.On the r16 while working on it the other night i noticed that the plug boot did not "snap" onto the plug like all my other saws do so...... In my infinite wisdom i decided that if i trimmed off the " bell " end of the boot the top part of the boot would slide down enough to "snap" on to the plug.well long story short nah not so much.I think I discovered the reason for the large bell shaped boot ,the top cover would seem to hold the boot down onto the plug.So if I had just left it alone it would have been fine i guess .Am I right about this? Is there any way to get one of these large bell shaped spark plug boot's? As I have ruined mine I am keeping it down in contact with the plug with a wire tie for now,runs great though.

Partner stuff

Well i disabled the govener on the r517 today while cleaning the carb and may have an easy way to do this.I opened it up and the hole was off set so I took a standard size paper punch and punched a hole in gasket material and installed the punched piece and it fits perfectly but just in case i added 1 more punch peice and screwed the plug / govener back in runs a whole lot better.

I have a spark plug boot question for you.On the r16 while working on it the other night i noticed that the plug boot did not "snap" onto the plug like all my other saws do so...... In my infinite wisdom i decided that if i trimmed off the " bell " end of the boot the top part of the boot would slide down enough to "snap" on to the plug.well long story short nah not so much.I think I discovered the reason for the large bell shaped boot ,the top cover would seem to hold the boot down onto the plug.So if I had just left it alone it would have been fine i guess .Am I right about this? Is there any way to get one of these large bell shaped spark plug boot's? As I have ruined mine I am keeping it down in contact with the plug with a wire tie for now,runs great though.

The governor trick you used is ok, works fine just remember that material won't last NO 10 years! As for the plug wire. They can be found on various saw models and other items too. Watch eBay for them too. Seen a couple points coils with wires that never even sold. Its also a standard item on the p100 and Mcculloch PM1000 so there available still.
I'll send you the illustrated parts manuals when I get home

Duane

Thanks, I guess i dont see why it would not last? It is "Felpro" gasket material the same as any gasket on any saw. My 1983 5000 still has the same base gasket it was made with and it is some of the same type of material.Oh well time will tell.

Got lucky today and found this neat old Partner tool board. It is about 2' x 1'6" and will fit just fine in my workshop. Have not had a good look at it yet but it will be fun finding out what all the tools do. I think it from the 70's so it will be of some functional use too.

P2011048.jpg

Al.

Carbruator limiting screw on a Partner 5000

Do my 5000's have limiting screws? and if so where are they and what do they do?
I am in the process of putting a 5000 back together from the bottom up Seals,Bearings,Piston ,Ring amd maybe a new carb.I wanted to make this one a little hotter than my others. I have asked before about a muffler mod and someone said just remove the baffel and I will I guess, will this harm the engine? I have seen you guys talk about limiting screws and that is somthing else I was wondering. I dont want to risk messing up the cylinder with a hack job port. So I am planning somthing simpel also maybe some 1194 instead of a gasket under the jug to increse squish.

Do my 5000's have limiting screws? and if so where are they and what do they do?
I am in the process of putting a 5000 back together from the bottom up Seals,Bearings,Piston ,Ring amd maybe a new carb.I wanted to make this one a little hotter than my others. I have asked before about a muffler mod and someone said just remove the baffel and I will I guess, will this harm the engine? I have seen you guys talk about limiting screws and that is somthing else I was wondering. I dont want to risk messing up the cylinder with a hack job port. So I am planning somthing simpel also maybe some 1194 instead of a gasket under the jug to increse squish.

You wont mess up anything on a 5000, remove baffle open outlet, port it (some), remove gasket, check to see if you have a domed piston or flat top, domed will give slight increase. (seems domed aren't as common)
If you can find a WA158 carb you might be a little happier than a 82, kill governor regardless

All this is assuming you have a PLUS!!! closed port

No limiting screws I've ever seen

others here will have more ideas too!

Duane

Yes they are closed port not doomed, I have a 158 carb I can use too. As far as the govener can somebody show mw a picture where it is? I have recently got 3 old partners F55a R16 and 517 and those carbs have goveners I guess I have never noticed if the newer carbs like the 82-or 158 has them as well? thanks for the responce.

Last edited:
Poulan pro 505 aka Partner

My shelf queen 505, never been out, its like new, wearing a 34" 110dr skip square Stihl chain thats DULL, hit dirt in the stump early on.

Just playin, been sittin too long. Very cold out 24 degrees, lots of steam

Muffler modded
[video=youtube;Q_mz5wmlOEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q_mz5wmlOEo[/video]

poulan pro 325

I noticed your poulan pro and wanted to ask a question about somthing I am doing. I have a nice looking 325 case w/flywheel and clutch but no p/c . If I put a 5000 p/c on that case will it work? Thanks I have this also in the main chainsaw forum but you guys may know best here thanks, Jeff

Back