Partner Chainsaw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored another partner today R40, 100cc.

I believe that is the saw my old man used back in the day. Used it for a lot of years. He stopped using it after it got too heavy later on in life and it sat on a shelf in the garage and fell into disrepair until one day it was put out to the junk. If only I could go back in time. That saw is what brought my current interest in these machines to the forefront.

I replaced the fuel line and fixed the shut off switch on my 5000 today and had her running for the first time. A lot more power than my small saw. Starts real good and no sign of it running poorly. Just wasn't getting enough fuel with the broken line.

Only had about 20 seconds before the bolt holding the vibration dampener/handle , on the right side rattled loose though. Apparently the previous owner just threw whatever he could find in it, and it's the wrong size. There should be a bolt go through the dampener into a sleeve before screwing into the head I believe? Anyone know what size bolt/where i could find the bolt and sleeve?

I been collecting Partner toaster saws I think there neat. I have many in the 40cc/50cc class. I finally got the 100 cc partner.

I been a Husqvarna owner operator since ‘79 and I’m attracted to other Swedish saws like the partner and jred. I wanted to collect one or two mcculloch and other brands too. Is there an AAA to seek help for buying chainsaws I’m addicted.

I've been browsing the local classifieds trying to find some pieces I need. Came across a deal today. A 5000 parts saw (no top end or handle) but some great looking covers, muffler and carb.

Buddy also had a running Partner 400 that's super clean that he threw in for a couple bucks more. They were his grandfather's saws that were just sitting in a shed.

Is there a way to figure out year of production with the serial numbers?

received_421496245108287-01-02.jpeg

I believe they look the same, but the 500 has some different internals from what I know with my limited knowledge.

I may be reiterating something already said but there is almost complete interchangeability between 500 and 5000 parts (except maybe if an updated part for either was not backwards compatible).

Is there a way to figure out year of production with the serial numbers?View attachment 744246
Sure is. 1980s tags:
1st digit = last digit of year of manufacture.
2nd & 3rd digits = production week.
Remaining digits = individual number for that model for that week.
Hence, 5371049 = 1,049th saw made in week 37 of 1985.

Only had about 20 seconds before the bolt holding the vibration dampener/handle , on the right side rattled loose though. Apparently the previous owner just threw whatever he could find in it, and it's the wrong size. There should be a bolt go through the dampener into a sleeve before screwing into the head I believe? Anyone know what size bolt/where i could find the bolt and sleeve?

Is this the sleeve? (50 52 678-86 - same as Jonsered 490))
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-JO...90-520-535-590-chainsaw-NOS-OEM-/372637560954

The bolt is listed as part number 50 32 000-20, which happens to be the same number as the main crankcase bolts on a Husqvarna 50, which is not be same number as those on the 51/55, listed as 50 32 002-50, though they are probably the same length.

Sure is. 1980s tags:
1st digit = last digit of year of manufacture.
2nd & 3rd digits = production week.
Remaining digits = individual number for that model for that week.
Hence, 5371049 = 1,049th saw made in week 37 of 1985.

Awesome, thank you. The new to me 400 has a serial of 6190366. So it would be the 366th saw made in week 19 of 1986.

Is this the sleeve? (50 52 678-86 - same as Jonsered 490))
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-JO...90-520-535-590-chainsaw-NOS-OEM-/372637560954

The bolt is listed as part number 50 32 000-20, which happens to be the same number as the main crankcase bolts on a Husqvarna 50, which is not be same number as those on the 51/55, listed as 50 32 002-50, though they are probably the same length.

That is the sleeve I'm looking for. Thanks for all the info. Might be able to find something under the Jonsered or Husqvarna names now.

Awesome, thank you. The new to me 400 has a serial of 6190366. So it would be the 366th saw made in week 19 of 1986.
The 400 a good saw on its own merits - a little heavy for it's output, it's really a 40cc saw with a 55cc bottom end - and a great compliment to the 5000, with which it shares a number of components.

The bar mount pattern is the same (Oregon K095). The clutch, clutch drum, ignition, crankshaft, main bearings & gudgeon bearings are interchangeable. Also, the 400 flywheel will work on a 500 or 5000. It should have 2 keyways, one marked '4' to be used when it's on a 400. the unmarked keyway is used when it's on a 500 or 5000.

Good info on the pioneer partner 400, I can’t wait to put a new chain on one of mine and see it work.

Ok I have a problem. I took a chance the po says it’s a r40. The saw has no markings. I got it cheap enough to take a shot at it and I won it. How can I identify this saw as to what she is?

I figure Columbus took a chance, Lincoln took a shot so why not take a chance? Lol

My goal is to collect different brands of the 99 cc/100cc saws. Clean and Run them then retire them.

Good info on the pioneer partner 400, I can’t wait to put a new chain on one of mine and see it work.

Ok I have a problem. I took a chance the po says it’s a r40. The saw has no markings. I got it cheap enough to take a shot at it and I won it. How can I identify this saw as to what she is?

I figure Columbus took a chance, Lincoln took a shot so why not take a chance? Lol

My goal is to collect different brands of the 99 cc/100cc saws. Clean and Run them then retire them.
The R40 is way before my time at Electrolux but I think it's a larger bore R30.

According to Mike Acres ,
R30 is 52x36
R40 is 60x36
Later models R440 & P100 are 56 x 40.

I need to pull the cylinder or could I measure from the base to the top fin on the cylinder maybe that would give me the cylinder height? I got this cheap when compared to the other 100 cc saw prices.

I don’t remember specifically but the stroke and piston sized was different between a few of them. Same with the mac1000

The 400 a good saw on its own merits - a little heavy for it's output, it's really a 40cc saw with a 55cc bottom end - and a great compliment to the 5000, with which it shares a number of components.

The bar mount pattern is the same (Oregon K095). The clutch, clutch drum, ignition, crankshaft, main bearings & gudgeon bearings are interchangeable. Also, the 400 flywheel will work on a 500 or 5000. It should have 2 keyways, one marked '4' to be used when it's on a 400. the unmarked keyway is used when it's on a 500 or 5000.

Thanks for the info. Since the bar mount pattern is the same, I can just pull the bar and chain off of the junker 5000 and put it on the 400.

It is missing the air filter. Since it is foam, can I just make a homemade replacement without much issue? eBay wants an arm and a leg for shipping to my area. More for the air filter than I paid for the saw.

In other news, bought this saw today. Picking it up tomorrow evening. It has the serial number stamped into the front casing, so I believe it is an earlier saw. Looks in great shape.
received_901694403500191-01.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Since the bar mount pattern is the same, I can just pull the bar and chain off of the junker 5000 and put it on the 400.
Providing a previous owner of either saw hasn't switched to 3/8, you can freely swap bar/chain. .325 x 7t was standard on both.

It is missing the air filter. Since it is foam, can I just make a homemade replacement without much issue? eBay wants an arm and a leg for shipping to my area. More for the air filter than I paid for the saw.
If you've got suitable open-cell fireproof foam, go for it.
Note: Later models have a more conventional filter holder and snap-in mesh or flock filter. Main reason for the change was because the effectiveness of the foam filter was too dependent on the skills of the operator in correctly placing the foam element and sliding the cover down without shifting it.

In other news, bought this saw today. Picking it up tomorrow evening. It has the serial number stamped into the front casing, so I believe it is an earlier saw. Looks in great shape.
Looks original. The Ignitron sticker & metal chainbrake handle also indicate an early edition.

If you've got suitable open-cell fireproof foam, go for it.
Note: Later models have a more conventional filter holder and snap-in mesh or flock filter. Main reason for the change was because the effectiveness of the foam filter was too dependent on the skills of the operator in correctly placing the foam element and sliding the cover down without shifting it

Mines an 86. What does the other style filter look like? Google search just shows me the foam style, wasn't aware of the other. Are they interchangeable? Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back