Parts that *don't* make sense to buy on Ebay...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ever see a part listed on Ebay and think, "wow, just pick it up at a dealer"?

Example: Stihl flippy cap. $7 at the dealer. On Ebay, $8 + $5 shipping for "used part in good condition".

Can you think of any other examples?

Just called the dealer about an 026 handle cover: $4.95 and in stock.

$8 shipped is the cheapest on Ebay.

IMHO part of it will depend on where you are (i.e. in the USA or not) and part will also depend on the weight of your parts.

I have ordered things like fuel lines on ebay because my local stihl dealer is SO freaking expensive for anything other than chains.

Bars, I have found to be pretty reasonably priced at times on ebay, but the shipping (up to canada at least) kills the deal.

I think the list could go on and on, but the comparisons only look bad if you have a dealer in your town. If you have to drive any distance to go get your parts, "mail order" starts to look OK.

My local dealer treats me good, so I always buy the "little stuff" from him....The bigger dollar items are worth checking on Ebay for other options.

Any part you don't know the cost and associated values of locally first. Though I don't use E-bay. Will shop Bailey's and other online though.

Spark plugs (not multipacks)..., files, filing kits; anything that is not too expensive such that online sellers ability to buy in bulk is outweighed by the shipping costs they have to charge.

Last edited:
Used air filters are the first thing that come to mind. I would take aftermarket before your old worn out filter that "looks good". AV buffers, I was looking at a used set for $12 each until I called the local dealer and got them for $10 each. I sold a lot of used small parts like throttle arms, flywheel baffles, av buffers, choke parts, bucking spikes and etc at .99 each. You can ship a big handful of those kind of parts First Class mail, coast to coast, for around $4. You can do good if you find something like that and buy in bulk.

I sell some parts on ebay, you would not believe how many aftermarket fuel caps, fuel lines, fuel filters, and spark plugs I sell a week. For that stuff I only charge 1.99$ or 2.99$ shipping to cover envelopes, boxes, tape and shipping.

Over here in the UK lots of Stihl spares on e-bay are more expensive than from the dealer. However in most cases it would not cover the time and fuel to make the journey. E-bay stuff comes straight to your door and if you are suitably dishonest you can easily send it back if:

1. You ordered the wrong part.
2. You tried the part and that wasn't the problem
3. You changed your mind about fixing something up.
4. You took the bits you wanted off an assembly and send the rest back claiming you didn't get the whole thing.
5. You claim you didn't get any of the parts when you did and then get a second set for spare or to sell yourself.

In all cases the seller takes a hit so they need to be dearer to cover themselves.

My dealer is literally across the street from my workplace, so that makes it pretty attractive.

If you own a modern saw or saws, and have a local dealer that will support you of course it makes more sense to go that route.

If you have a lot of vintage saws, and the parts guy doesn't find "it" in his computer then obviously it never existed and you must be some kind of a fool keeping old junk like that. Enter e-Bay...

I'm sure in some area the distance to the dealer can be a deterrent as well, how far can you drive to save $5 or $10 on shipping, even if your time counts for nothing.

Mark

I but lots of stuff for old and obselete saws that i wished the dealer had but by the time i make 3 trips there looking i can have it in a few days to my door off ebay. I get some good ebay deals buying some parts the seller has no clue what its for but you have to be up on your pn's and what it looks like. I just bought an air cleaner for my CS-1001 for a $1.95 because the seller thought it was for a briggs and stratton and not a chain saw That was a 20 dollar part if you can find one...Bob

I saw on ebay yesterday someone selling jugs off Husqvarna's and he didn't even know what they came off of. He just posted a picture of the freshly wire wheeled cylinder and stated the bore size.

I don't think I would buy a jug from him. No matter what the price.

I see a lot of parts that seem pricey, but what gets me is the price of the brand new saws,you could walk in the dealer and get it for the same price or even less. The prime example is the MS660 right now that has 4hrs left on the auction is up to $1032.00 plus $23 shipping with no b&c or accessories and prob no warranty. MSRP is only $1109.95 with a 25" b&c. Doesn't make sense to me.:givebeer:

OEM engine gasket kit (MS440). Paid $20.85 at my dealer, eBay to your door for $32.00.

I'm sure in some area the distance to the dealer can be a deterrent as well, how far can you drive to save $5 or $10 on shipping, even if your time counts for nothing.

Mark

Such as is my case where my local dealer for saw parts is at least 1/2hr. away one way. Depends on the part and if I can wait till my next trip to town.

Kevin

I bought a gas cap, air and fuel filter, gas line, rim and a couple chains, from my local dealer.

Got home and checked prices, every part was more money on ebay, not counting shipping. Gas cap was twice the dealer price.

There are thousands of sellers on E-Bay, E-Bay does not sell anything or set
prices

If you see a flippy cap for ten, look some more, other selllers have it for less.

Those sellers put those parts up there high, because sooner or later they will
sell.

So this thread is kind of silly.

I aim for @ 1/2 of retail for the parts I sell off of a new saw, but some parts
sell for @ full retail. Do I sell the parts for 1/2 retail then? No I raise my
price, I am not a moron.

When I had my shop in Lawrenceburg, and some redneck wanted to biatch
about me selling a plug for $2.19, saying they could get the same plug
at Walmart for $1.49.

I would say "GOOD. Go to Walmart!!!!!"

Back