Parts that *don't* make sense to buy on Ebay...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do we know what the dealer charges unless you contact them for any parts and prices. I recently needed a fuel line for my 029 project and just took a ride to the dealer paid 9 found it online for 7. Bought the lighter saw case on sale at the dealer for 20 and online it would cost me 20 to get it shipped. I still have to go there and get another before he decides to end the sale.

Can't really compare many parts unless we had access to the prices dealers charge but this will be fun to read.

And I can't see myself calling for price everytime I need a part and then buying online so I'll just buy the bigger stuff online this way I don't bother the dealer.

Now I needed a piston for a Makita/Dolmar 7300 and bought it on ebay since I don't know if I have a dealer close by and didn't even bother looking for one. I did find OEM piston kits for as much as 130 plus shipping online so I turned to ebay for an AM for 34 shipped.

I don't look at Ebay much anymore, but when I did I often marvelled at the new and creative ways folks used to try to justify prices for things. I have no problem with someone paying a high price for a rare or obsolete item, especially if you "need" it to finish a long-suffering project.

But Fish is right about stuff like $10 gas caps for current production chainsaws. I guess some people's time is too valuable to shop during the day, and their only option is to log on Ebay at off hours.

It doesn't really bother me much to call a dealer or other source and ask about prices. If it bothered THEM that much, why do they list their phone number?

I only really go on EBay to look for parts for my old stuff and too look for cheap projects really.

I have an great Husky dealer literally 6 minutes up the road that I do most of my business with, so he gets most of my $$$.

very few parts don't make sense to buy on ebay.

I make over $30-45/hour. Just a 20 minute trip to the local Stihl dealer would make a lot more sense to stay at home and click the interwebz rather than waste time driving, not to mention the chance of something adverse happening, like an accident or having to wait behind somebody at the counter.

I pay more to stay in the comfort of my own home all the time.

Chains are cheaper on Ebay than my local dealer.
A new chain from the dealer is $31 and you can get the same one on ebay for $15 plus about $5 for shipping.

What I find is the killer blow in some cases is when you look up shipping world wide from the US to FRANCE mostly the part prices on E.com are between 1/4-1/3 the price of E.fr thats if they are available on E.fr. But then the shipping ,some sellers only quote USPS Priority ie. Nova 2 ignition chip must weigh all of 1/2oz price $12.95 S&H $19.95 16 ``bar for Homelite Super 2 $14.95 S&H $42.50. Kills all the deals stone dead. Trouble is the parts for older saws only seem to be available in the US The dealers over here only seem to stock parts for saws in current production if the part from an older saw is the same OK, otherwise you are out of luck or it`s the Bay

I ordered a sprocket from the Stihl Deere dealer last Friday and on my way out I walked pass the saw display. I happened to look up and saw a set of three (3) chain files for a steal of a deal at $18.99. I got three Stihl chain files from the other dealer in town a couple of weeks ago for $2 each. Oh and the sprocket kit was higher too. About $2 higher on the price of the part, then they tacked on shipping to that.
I know everyone benifits from buying local, but with prices like that they make it a little difficult. And the other dealer doesn't offer much other than saws, trimmers, etc. No accessories at all. Only felling wedge I could find in town a while back was at TSC for $10.
So ebay tends to look good sometimes.

Steve

I am going to need an 18" bar and chain for my 029 and am wondering what it would cost new at the dealer, anyone have an idea before I call? I wonder if lowes carries the oregon to fit.

Stock .325 sprocket will use 18" .325 .063 74DL Correct? I'm still not getting all the confusing different chain sizes available.

Anyone know a good aftermarket bar/chain combo to use? I see the forester combo on ebay is 24.99 but shipping is almost just as much.

Last edited:
A lot of this has to do with your dealer and his/her pricing. I had a great Stihl dealer for several years and got excellent prices, then the parts guy got a different job and I quit the dealership all together, because the parts guy was what made the difference to me. He gave us great prices and service, the next guy was a knowledgeless jerk.

For months I search around for a good dealer Southern IL and Western Kentucky, and was not happy with prices or services from any. I then sent a pretty large spare parts order list to CheapStihlParts to stock on things that get broke like handlebars, tanks, plastic and many other smaller things that I was fine with buying provides it was a quality used part for, well, cheap. They would never attempt to fill the order and for business conveince they just wanted us to go hit the buy it now button 53 times. Well I didn't want to do that, so back to dealer shopping. I had a good talk with one of the parts managers of the closest dealerships and that dealership has made a complete U turn in service and prices based on good parts man. I value that and even though I am logging 3 hours away, I would never buy a part new or used from anyone else, as he has won our loyality. I send him emails, texts and photos of parts we need or want and he takes care of it.

I know what it is like to have a Stihl dealer just rape you for some little screw or fuel line or something and that is what drives some people to Ebay and the inherent risks of that system.

In my opinion,

Sam

So this thread is kind of silly.

:sucks:

I am talking about what makes sense from a buyer's standpoint, not what makes sense from a seller's standpoint. Of course, the seller should offer his products at the best price he can get.

And... I appreciate what you grey market guys are doing. :cheers: IMO, you earn every cent of profit you get.

The only time it makes sense, is when you can combine some purchases to save on shipping. Like in my store, I got to sell fairly cheap, since shipping would usually kill the deal to go to the US. Most of the people I sell to are in the USA.

When I got my 260, I wanted to get a new model number plate because the original was missing. I checked ebay and found one for I think 15 dollars plus shipping. Went to the dealer, I don't think I paid more than 5

There is quite a bit of that. But, a lot of Stihl dealers don't stock much. Luckily, I have a Stihl dealer nearby that can drag out parts that I never dreamed they would have. And, if they don't they put in a prepaid order at least twice a week and have it the next day.

eBay is good for obsolete parts for sure.

What I find is the killer blow in some cases is when you look up shipping world wide from the US to FRANCE mostly the part prices on E.com are between 1/4-1/3 the price of E.fr thats if they are available on E.fr. But then the shipping ,some sellers only quote USPS Priority ie. Nova 2 ignition chip must weigh all of 1/2oz price $12.95 S&H $19.95 16 ``bar for Homelite Super 2 $14.95 S&H $42.50. Kills all the deals stone dead. Trouble is the parts for older saws only seem to be available in the US The dealers over here only seem to stock parts for saws in current production if the part from an older saw is the same OK, otherwise you are out of luck or it`s the Bay

Just as an example, it cost 6 bucks to send you that gas cap, and 35 cents for the padded envelope, so 19.95 is stupid.

I get small stuff on ebay cause around here the prices for tygon, carb kits, fuel filters etc are crazy. $4 a foot for tygon, $7 for a fuel filter, $25 for a carb kit....

Latest posts

Back