Pathogen confirmed in Redwoods and Douglas Fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
I saw this article this morning, thought I'd share it.

Scientists Confirm Redwoods' Peril
Wed Sep 4, 6:53 PM ET
By DON THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Scientists confirmed Wednesday that California's coastal redwoods, as well as Douglas firs, are among species susceptible to a disease that is devastating the state's oak trees.

The discovery could spell trouble elsewhere in the nation if the fungus-like disease is able to spread, said Matteo Garbelotto, who teaches ecosystem science at the University of California at Berkeley. "That's really a huge concern," he said.

Experts said in January they had found evidence of the disease in coastal redwood sprouts, but were testing to see if the spores were just on the tree's surface. Now they've found the first evidence of Sudden Oak Death infection in redwoods and Douglas fir saplings.

Gov. Gray Davis has asked President Bush for $10 million in federal funding to fight the fungus. A request for federal aid last year was rejected.

The researchers from the UC Davis and Berkeley campuses found the disease in redwood sprouts in Alameda, Marin and Monterey counties. They found infected saplings in Sonoma and Santa Cruz counties. The infected Douglas firs were also found in Sonoma County. The findings are to be published in next month's issue of the scientific journal "Plant Disease."

Researchers said it may take years before they know how seriously the highly contagious fungus will affect the giant trees. So far, they have not found disease symptoms or death in large mature redwoods or Douglas fir.

Coastal redwoods, the world's tallest trees, grow only along the coastal fog belt, a narrow 500-mile band that extends into southern Oregon. Besides their appeal for tourists, they and Douglas fir trees are logged commercially.

The reseachers' findings could curtail shipments of redwood or Douglas fir bark, which is used for mulch, said Katherine Facino of the California Oak Mortality Task Force. For now, lumber with the bark removed could be shipped.

The fungus has killed tens of thousands of oaks along California's northern coast since it was discovered in Marin County in 1995 and affects at least 17 species worldwide — 16 of them found in California. The 17th is found only in Europe.

To try to contain the outbreak, trees have been cut down, camp sites closed and a quarantine imposed on the movement of wood products containing the pathogen.

The range of harm done to the diverse host species — from slight to severe — is giving scientists hope for the redwoods.

"It seems that some species are able to tolerate the pathogen better than others," said UC Davis plant pathologist Dave Rizzo.

___

On the Net:

Oak Mortality Task Force: http://www.suddenoakdeath.org

Save-the-Redwoods League: http://www.savetheredwoods.org/default.htm

Garboletto site: http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/garbelotto

Sorry Brian! I didn't know you had posted this...otherwise I wouldn't have put my version up on the Commercial board.

I hope its not the same thing were seeing here , our oaks are dying everywhere, fast , lived out of Sonoma co. sure hope it don't happen like hear.

Back