Pawnshop Saws...your experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No doubt about it, the best deals I've ever got on saws were at the local pawnbrokers. Stihl 029 $108 like new, Stihl MS 360 $200 and just broke in:chainsaw: . Stihl 026 (non PRO) $120 used some but runs like new:heart: . Jonsered 625 that just rocks $160. None have been free but they beat he!! out of paying ebay prices. What have you found?:popcorn:

Yeah, I got a Stihl ms290 that was still on the first tank for $250 out the door. The same saw at the local dealer would have been $360 plus 8.6 percent sales tax.

Have done good here. But find saws go like hotcakes!! Best deals are actually asking the clerk if they have any saws coming out. We have good enough laws and by-laws here the pawn is pretty straight up. I guess the seller must provide accurate info and picture ID to pawn, and the stuff is police checked. I do insist on a itemized reciept. We also have acouple of other places I do check. One is a "Penny pichers" and the other it "Sal Mart", I missed two big huskys with 30in bars on them for $25 each at the penny pinchers, must have been a widow saying come and get this stuff out of my house. :dizzy:

I've yet to find a "deal" of any sort around me. I've seen well used saws at close to retail and not much willingness to deal.

Hmmm, may have to "roadtrip" the the PNW to buy saws.

Mark

No real pawn shops 'round here. Best deal I've got was an estate auction, practically new 028 super for $150. Looked like it was run just long enough to dull the two chains that came with it. Got a 371xp at a garage sale last summer for $50, had a few issues but when I get 'er back together it promises to be a real ripper. Probably the best "deal" is the 2100 big dog my cousin gave me last fall complete with full wrap handle.:rock: His fear was my gain.

I stumbled onto my 2 saws, and got good deals, now that Im looking for another saw just to have, Im not seeing anything but a homelite that the guy wont respond to. Been looking for a MS 290. After the company bought one finally for the crew to use, I really like it. And it has a 20 inch bar. I want my own so I can try a 16 inch bar. Deals are out there, its just who finds them first.

There's NOTHING in my area...

I mean NOTHING!!! I already checked, so don't bother looking here!

Just kiddin'

The local pawn shops are on my list of "next stops". Ebay is expensive, it'd be better to pay retail for a brand new saw with warranty by the time it arrives.

My only fear is seeing a bunch of WAL*MART Wildthings (windstorm quickfix). We'll see!!

No real pawn shops 'round here. Best deal I've got was an estate auction, practically new 028 super for $150. Looked like it was run just long enough to dull the two chains that came with it. Got a 371xp at a garage sale last summer for $50, had a few issues but when I get 'er back together it promises to be a real ripper. Probably the best "deal" is the 2100 big dog my cousin gave me last fall complete with full wrap handle.:rock: His fear was my gain.

Sounds like you have a different route to the same end. But free from family doesn't count! Congrats on that one though.:clap:

IMO., the best source of saws... sadly it gets real good around Xmas when saws are pawned...

yup, have to agree on that one Lake, also, never be shy of running the serial no.s first no matter what you are told 'bout the origions, believe nothin' till ya'll know the facts! As well, as many have repeatedly said in other posts, pull the muff and take a good look-see.
My 0.02$ fer the evening, I go now byee.

I'll never buy a chainsaw at a pawn shop.The biggest reason for me is that you never know if you are getting a stolen saw or not.In my state,they only track guns,everything else in that particular shop could be stolen for all anyone knows....I had a MS200t and a MS440 stolen back in October.That was one time I dropped my guard and left them unlocked.Luckily those were the only two I had in that truck at the time.Usually I have at least two big saws and two small saws.Luckily they were able to catch the theif who took them,and the 200T was found at a local pawn shop.This guy told investigators that the 440 was sold at the same shop,but since the pawn shop was not required to keep any record of anything but their guns,there was no way of knowing where my 440 ended up,it was sold before they got to the shop.So now when I get a new saw,I remove the air filter cover and write my name,address,business name and phone number.I also put that if the saw was bought at a pawn shop or 2nd hand to please call.Hopefully this will never happen again,but I can't bring myself to buy a saw at a pawnshop just in case the saw was stolen from someone

Ooooooooo 2100, my 1st (and only) new big saw, an awesome machine! Used ours for shake blocks, chisel skip onna 32" (might have been a 34") bar, simply a screamin' beast ( I miss it *sigh* ).

Ooooooooo 2100, my 1st (and only) new big saw, an awesome machine! Used ours for shake blocks, chisel skip onna 32" (might have been a 34") bar, simply a screamin' beast ( I miss it *sigh* ).

I couldn't believe it's shape when my cuz offered it up at a family gathering, figured it would be a basket case. It needed a bar adjustment screw, repair a small hole in the oil resevoir(from chain slap, see first item) and a good cleaning. Don't have much time on it yet, it runs well with a 30" bar. I think she's a little out of adjustment, tweaked it a little but I think I'm going get a new filter and have a look inside the carb before going further. Boy I wish they put decomp valves on these babys....... :laugh:

I bought one of my best saws, a McCulloch PM 10-10 Super, at a second hand/pawn store. I'd have to agree with the posts in this thread that the prices are better than what you'll likely find on e-bay, but then again where aren't they better?
Timberhauler, you seem to have stumbled onto one of the most important points for recovery of any stolen item. That is to have your name or other identification on your equipment. In all fairness to the pawnshops, if they do not see someone's name on a tool, how are they supposed to know if it is actually stolen or not. In Michigan, the pawn shops have to register everything they buy with the local law enforcement agencies, but if the police do not bother to cross check the list of purchased items, the pawn shops aren't going to know if something in their possession is stolen. MAke no mistake about it, the blame for stolen property rests solely on the thieves!

Pawn shops can go either way. You've just got to wade through the BS to get to the good stuff. I still remember the hammered 011 I saw in a shop for $300. But I also remember the decent 056 Super I picked up for $80 that only need a carb kit.

Just remember that as a general rule (not always), pawnbrokers will take you for everything they can, and that dealing with them is like feeding a shark with your bare hands. You can do it, just watch out and be careful.

Jeff

Not that fond of pawn shops...

I didn't see any great deals when I was looking for saws at the pawn shops. Did better on Craig's list or even the local dealers. When I was on the local grand jury pawn shops came up all too often. $75. for jewelry that was bought over ten years ago for $12,000. Bet they didn't plan to sell it for a couple of hundred??

I have no interest in going to a pawn shop, looked for firearms and saws at the local ones and found no deals and then had the time on the grand jury.

Around here the pawn shops seem to want MORE than retail price!

The only time there is a deal is when they don't know what they have got.

I've been going to the wrong pawn shops then.... I've went to a couple and about had a heart attack when i saw the prices they were asking. Just today i stopped by one looking for misc. tools and they had some old Craftsman P.O.S. with a sixteen in bar and still wanted a hundred bucks for it!!
I think the name of it was Pawn Exchange...so cross them off your list.

I went into a few pawn shops a couple of weeks ago to price saws.Not much in the way of good saw. One did have a Husky 350 that looked kind of bad. Had a tag on it for $375. The saw might have been worth $50.00. All of the shops were overpriced.

Kurf

Asking price

I've been going to the wrong pawn shops then.... I've went to a couple and about had a heart attack when i saw the prices they were asking. Just today i stopped by one looking for misc. tools and they had some old Craftsman P.O.S. with a sixteen in bar and still wanted a hundred bucks for it!!
I think the name of it was Pawn Exchange...so cross them off your list.

A local Pawn shop wanted 189.00 for a 028 with a case. I paid 130 and they let me check it out and run it. Sweet little saw. I offered a 100 and we ended up at 130. Doesn't hurt to ask. Worst they can do is say no.

Latest posts

Back