Pawnshop Saws...your experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A local Pawn shop wanted 189.00 for a 028 with a case. I paid 130 and they let me check it out and run it. Sweet little saw. I offered a 100 and we ended up at 130. Doesn't hurt to ask. Worst they can do is say no.

Yeah, but you have to have a place to start. When they are asking current retail for a 20 year old saw, I haven't got anyone anywhere close, then just end up pi$$ing them off for future deals. Did that with an old Rockwell router once.

Mark

I was at one of the local pawnshops yesterday looking at the 044 that they had. They told me that I couldn't take the muffler off which kinda pissed me off, but they did let me go outside and start it up, it actually ran great. The price said 375 and they said I could have it for 350.I told them that I would think about and when I said that they brought another 044 out that they said i could have for 325 it looked awful like someone drug it behind there truck down I-5 for a few hours. At this point i am thinking to myself are these guys serious 25 dollars less for this. So I take it outside and start it up it starts up but keeps dying, and the kid keeps telling me its a great saw, I looked at him and said you have to be kidding you want 325 for a saw that dont even run. Make a long story short I am still debating on getting the first one but the fact of how they were acting in there just pisses me off.

I mean NOTHING!!! I already checked, so don't bother looking here!

Just kiddin'

The local pawn shops are on my list of "next stops". Ebay is expensive, it'd be better to pay retail for a brand new saw with warranty by the time it arrives.

My only fear is seeing a bunch of WAL*MART Wildthings (windstorm quickfix). We'll see!!

Have no fear...you can always do an about face and walk away without any second thoughts...with the knowledge of what you are looking for and what it is worth. Yep, I do it all the time with a smile on my face that I make sure they can see.

It's as simple as this:

Buy from a pawn shop and you support an open market for stolen goods. I've recovered enough of my property in court from pawn shops to know.

Down here you need ID to sell or buy at a pawn shop. If you are selling, you get photographed too. The big chain pawn shops report their entire inventory including serial numbers to the police via computer.

This seems to be a good system. Without some system like this you might as well buy out of the boot of a car behind the pub.

hi everyone, i was in a local pawn shop lately, looking for a deal on a saw. I saw a old husky 51, it looked like it was drug down the road, and they wanted 259.99 for it. I think thats ridiculous.

Yeaaa

No real pawn shops 'round here. Best deal I've got was an estate auction, practically new 028 super for $150. Looked like it was run just long enough to dull the two chains that came with it. Got a 371xp at a garage sale last summer for $50, had a few issues but when I get 'er back together it promises to be a real ripper. Probably the best "deal" is the 2100 big dog my cousin gave me last fall complete with full wrap handle.:rock: His fear was my gain.

WTF!!!! There's not a damn pawn shop within 100 miles of here. What gives??? :jester: :Eye: :confused:

WTF!!!! There's not a damn pawn shop within 100 miles of here. What gives??? :jester: :Eye: :confused:

No, but I bet you can get a real deal on some "stuff" a little to the NW of ya.... (a certain community on the river, wink, wink):hmm3grin2orange:

i don't have too much experience with pawn shop saws, but i have bias against those in my area because we've had stolen generators show up there

The best pawn shop in my area won't take saws in, he says they don't move well. The other one does take them but they're all small saws as logging isn't big business in this area. Mostly homeowner size pawns.

If I ever need to sell a saw, it'll go either here or to ebay where I can expect to get what it's worth, not 10c on the dollar at a pawn shop.

Ian

Back