Pay me now, or PAY me later!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No rope... No means of using it?

Well they say a picture can be worth a thousand words. Well here's a couple of pics that might help describe how you " could" use a climbing line in a tree.

The benefits are numerous. What if you need something sent up to you? What if you cut your leg, and can't just spike back down the tree? What would you did if this type of situation occurred? How much more difficult would it make it in an aerial rescue scenario? (if the climber has no line)

Possible methods of attachment:

1. Running bowline chokered off on the stem. Basically work on a single rope.
2. Rope guide( preferred method)
3. Friction Saver double wrapped

Even if you don't "need it" It's still a good idea to have it there just in case.

Oh yeah, there are a couple of other examples in this thread.

http://arborist.************/showthread.php?t=17613

Treejunkie,
Thanks for the constructive criticism.
After your explination, I am ordering a "crash helmet" that will stay on in a tree. Also I intend to keep a climbing rope in every tree I have to climb.
Tomorrow, my son and I will have a "safety meeting".
Thanks for making me stop and think, the A$$ I save may be my own.
I may not be as dumb as I look. :blob2:

No problem....
As long as i pass on the word, I've done the right thing. Sorry iif it came out like i was jumping your arse.

TTYL, Safe climbing...

redprospector said:
Yea, it's quite a sight when he cuts in the nude! :blob2:

What I mean is I've seen pics of people cutting in shorts. I was also at a friend's house and a tree service came to take out a leaner and the climber and groundman both were not wearing shirts. I thought they would put on shirts when they got started working, but they didn't. The game was called anyway on account of lightning. I've got video of it, but it only shows the climber riding the crane up, and then yelling LIGHTNING! I would post it, but I thought it might have been someone from AS.

redprospector said:
Stumper,
That's my son, I've been hammering on him about that. I hope it dosn't take a tree hammering on him to convince him to step back at 45* to the fall. :blob2:

By the way, I tried to step back in picture 8 too. Didn't work out.

Tell him to put some ear muffs on. Say What? Huh,? What did you say?

rb_in_va said:
What I mean is I've seen pics of people cutting in shorts. I was also at a friend's house and a tree service came to take out a leaner and the climber and groundman both were not wearing shirts. I thought they would put on shirts when they got started working, but they didn't. The game was called anyway on account of lightning. I've got video of it, but it only shows the climber riding the crane up, and then yelling LIGHTNING! I would post it, but I thought it might have been someone from AS.

Please post the video, this might be interesting. If it is an AS member i have one or two guesses who it might be.

Ok, I'll work on it. Now where did that firewire cable go? :Eye:

Brandon,
You know people in VA?

Ok, I ordered the firewire cable, card, and editing software to transfer video to the computer on Monday. It should be here any day now. I also located the specific tape with the footage on it. It's really only a few minutes worth of video. I should try to catch other tree work on tape. That would be cool. Later, Roger.

Latest posts

Back